• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

World Cup Qualifiers

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (St Helens RLFC @ Nov 19 2009, 01:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
As for the referee, he had a good game I thought aside from that decision.[/b]
Yeah I thought so too. Havent a clue whether he was sighted or unsighted for the incident but dont see how he can really be blamed for it unless he did something grossly incompetent.

The ball went through a lot of players. I have sympathy with him. As I ALWAYS say, that's the sort of thing an assistant referee should be spotting.

After all the ranting i expected the goal to be more scandalous than that.
Still, a handball's a handball.
But in the world of professional sport, "Good on ya, if you can get away with it!"

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (C A Iversen @ Nov 15 2009, 03:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (William18 @ Nov 15 2009, 04:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
ALL WHITES!!!! Such a great game, last night. Awesome atmosphere. People just didn't sit down and say nothing like they do at rugby games.[/b]

It looked an amazing atmosphere. New Zealand will be now trying to target the weakest team in their group, when groups are released. Still they'd have to extremely lucky to get someone that they could seriously challenge.

Still, that game last night was the most intense game of football I've ever watched.
[/b][/quote]

Getting there is pretty much the cup for us. :bravo:

Wonder how FIFA will change the next World Cup qualifying requirements ?

Quite simple: Only the biggest countries, most appealing to advertisers, will be allowed in, regardless of results.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jethro @ Nov 20 2009, 01:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (C A Iversen @ Nov 15 2009, 03:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (William18 @ Nov 15 2009, 04:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
ALL WHITES!!!! Such a great game, last night. Awesome atmosphere. People just didn't sit down and say nothing like they do at rugby games.[/b]

It looked an amazing atmosphere. New Zealand will be now trying to target the weakest team in their group, when groups are released. Still they'd have to extremely lucky to get someone that they could seriously challenge.

Still, that game last night was the most intense game of football I've ever watched.
[/b][/quote]

Getting there is pretty much the cup for us. :bravo:

Wonder how FIFA will change the next World Cup qualifying requirements ?

[/b][/quote]

I was there, simply the best sporting experience I've ever had bar none.

I've heard talk from some of the players saying they want it to be much tougher next time, crazy!.

Give us Bahrain again!.:)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (clayton @ Nov 20 2009, 02:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Football is the game of injustice because not always who plays best is the winner.
Why?
because you can not put the ball in the net and it does not make the goal so important.
FIFA should remake the game of France and Ireland because of that goal by hand

a question to New Zealanders, as is the football in your country?
for all I know is not a sport so popular and so also heard that many play soccer until the age of fifteen and then not be importam.however saw the playoff game against bahrain saw that the stadium was cheio.falem porfavor as is the situation of football in New Zealand.[/b]
The large amount of people who went to see the All Whites play was because this was probably the biggest football game in New Zealand ever. Many people here follow the English Premier League and the World Cup is massive news. People just don't seem to enjoy watching it as much as rugby. Rugby has the history and is what defines us as a nation, that's why soccer is always second.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (William18 @ Nov 20 2009, 05:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (clayton @ Nov 20 2009, 02:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Football is the game of injustice because not always who plays best is the winner.
Why?
because you can not put the ball in the net and it does not make the goal so important.

for all I know is not a sport so popular and so also heard that many play soccer until the age of fifteen and then not be importam.however saw the playoff game against bahrain saw that the stadium was cheio.falem porfavor as is the situation of football in New Zealand.[/b]
The large amount of people who went to see the All Whites play was because this was probably the biggest football game in New Zealand ever. Many people here follow the English Premier League and the World Cup is massive news. People just don't seem to enjoy watching it as much as rugby. Rugby has the history and is what defines us as a nation, that's why soccer is always second.
[/b][/quote]

I enjoy it way more than the Rugby I'm occasionally watching these days.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Radman @ Nov 20 2009, 05:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (William18 @ Nov 20 2009, 05:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Why?

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

If New Zealand play a relatively easier team first up (probably still rated 30 places higher than them) and somehow win, it'll be the catalyst for a really big surge in popularity for the game in New Zealand. The games would get higher ratings when the All Whites played friendlies and they'd get opportunities to play better opposition more regularly.

Still, if all these rather convienient cards fell into place, it'd probably still only offer the opportunities needed to lift New Zealand somewhere around the 40-50th place in rankings.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (C A Iversen @ Nov 20 2009, 07:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Radman @ Nov 20 2009, 05:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (William18 @ Nov 20 2009, 05:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Why?

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

If New Zealand play a relatively easier team first up (probably still rated 30 places higher than them) and somehow win, it'll be the catalyst for a really big surge in popularity for the game in New Zealand. The games would get higher ratings when the All Whites played friendlies and they'd get opportunities to play better opposition more regularly.

Still, if all these rather convienient cards fell into place, it'd probably still only offer the opportunities needed to lift New Zealand somewhere around the 40-50th place in rankings.
[/b][/quote]

I'd expect a bigger number of junior soccer members next year off of this, it is big enough as is but will get bigger.

I really hope Football NZ can give this game a boost in the right areas and start to really threaten Rugby at all levels, it will be great for Soccer and a good wake up call for Rugby.

This game is just crying out for attention here and I just hope Kiwis can get behind it.

Rugby is doing all it can right now to shoot itself in the foot and I hope Soccer can capitalise.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (clayton @ Nov 20 2009, 02:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Why?

Only the poofs play football.

A massive generalisation, but pretty much true where i come from. The kids that dont want to get hurt or cant hack rugby play soccer, obviously these arent the most outstanding or committed of athletes so the teams arent that strong and they stop playing at 15 when their parents tell them to keep playing or get part time job.

The only guys that were actually good athletes in my schools 1st XI were the the kids only recently removed from the UK, the rest were just making up the numbers. When i was 3rd form the 1st XV challenged the 1st XI to a game of soccer. The rugby team won.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (danger @ Nov 21 2009, 01:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Why?

A massive generalisation, but pretty much true where i come from. The kids that dont want to get hurt or cant hack rugby play soccer, obviously these arent the most outstanding or committed of athletes so the teams arent that strong and they stop playing at 15 when their parents tell them to keep playing or get part time job.

The only guys that were actually good athletes in my schools 1st XI were the the kids only recently removed from the UK, the rest were just making up the numbers. When i was 3rd form the 1st XV challenged the 1st XI to a game of soccer. The rugby team won.
[/b][/quote]

There are kids out there that aren't brought up on nailing people off the ball, or are about skill rather than smacking people over. They are brought up with a bit of respect for the idea of not hurting people, so end up not going far in rugby. They just happen to not be meatheads.

Most rugby players aren't the example you just portrayed, but some are. A lot of kids tend to play soccer, but aren't of the "eat a pie, have a Lion Red, bash a guy in the eye.....then do a burg", variety. I guess being a decent human being can make someone a **** in the eyes of hard, mean mofos, but at least they end up being the kind of people you like being around.

Half the first XV's (which I made) are full of assholes, self-loving and bashing their way through life. The other half are decent blokes. Guess you choose who you want to be.

Nearly all first XI's in New Zealand are full of nice guys. Who won't smack you over up town. What a bunch of poofs.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (C A Iversen @ Nov 21 2009, 01:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (danger @ Nov 21 2009, 01:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Why?

[/b][/quote]

There are kids out there that aren't brought up on nailing people off the ball, or are about skill rather than smacking people over. They are brought up with a bit of respect for the idea of not hurting people, so end up not going far in rugby. They just happen to not be meatheads.

Most rugby players aren't the example you just portrayed, but some are. A lot of kids tend to play soccer, but aren't of the "eat a pie, have a Lion Red, bash a guy in the eye.....then do a burg", variety. I guess being a decent human being can make someone a **** in the eyes of hard, mean mofos, but at least they end up being the kind of people you like being around.

Half the first XV's (which I made) are full of assholes, self-loving and bashing their way through life. The other half are decent blokes. Guess you choose who you want to be.

Nearly all first XI's in New Zealand are full of nice guys. Who won't smack you over up town. What a bunch of poofs.
[/b][/quote]

Who said anything about nailing people off the ball? i said athlete not brute.

You can be about skill and not smacking people over and still play rugby.. Conrad Smith is from around these parts.

The term "meathead" might be applicible to the teams you have been associated with, but i think we are on very different pages. My old school, New Plymouth Boys, has a reputation as fielding some of the smallest rugby teams in premier schoolboy rugby. We just dont get the size around here, one of the locks this year was only just over 70 kg

As such, the rugby culture has been about skill, brains, tenacity and especially hard work. We just wouldn't win any games if we tryed to just bash through everyone. This is why i dont really respect the soccer guys, the majority of them started out in rugby, and then flaked out because they couldnt handle all the trainings or were scared of coming up against guys that were bigger than you every week. I call those guys poofs.

To add insult to injury they prounce about with their two practices a week and then laud it over us how much better their sport is and how NZ is too rugby centred and how we wouldnt last two minutes on a soccer field. The rich soccer kids, cant stand them.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (danger @ Nov 21 2009, 02:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (C A Iversen @ Nov 21 2009, 01:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (danger @ Nov 21 2009, 01:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Why?

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

Who said anything about nailing people off the ball? i said athlete not brute.

You can be about skill and not smacking people over and still play rugby.. Conrad Smith is from around these parts.

The term "meathead" might be applicible to the teams you have been associated with, but i think we are on very different pages. My old school, New Plymouth Boys, has a reputation as fielding some of the smallest rugby teams in premier schoolboy rugby. We just dont get the size around here, one of the locks this year was only just over 70 kg

As such, the rugby culture has been about skill, brains, tenacity and especially hard work. We just wouldn't win any games if we tryed to just bash through everyone. This is why i dont really respect the soccer guys, the majority of them started out in rugby, and then flaked out because they couldnt handle all the trainings or were scared of coming up against guys that were bigger than you every week. I call those guys poofs.

To add insult to injury they prounce about with their two practices a week and then laud it over us how much better their sport is and how NZ is too rugby centred and how we wouldnt last two minutes on a soccer field. The rich soccer kids, cant stand them.
[/b][/quote]

Look dude, I love rugby, but when you open with "Only the poofs play football", whether or not it's a generalisation, or how you just justify it, it's a bit much. I've played 6 competitive games of soccer and maybe even close to 110 rugby games in my life and I only started playing that at just shy of 17 competitively, but I'm not into saying stuff like that about another code. Back track on that and we're sweet. By the way, I wasn't rich or a **** whilst playing those games.

While it anooyed me, I might as well point out that I'm only mildly annoyed mate. Every time I word something strongly lately, people seem to think I'm absolutely livid with rage as I type. I just like to make my point.

It's a kick in the teeth when you look at the group New Zealand qualified out of and the team they faced in the playoff to be honest, when we had both WC 2006 finalists to get past. The European Championships are going towards being a better quality competition. Bring on Euro 2012 :)

The only guys that were actually good athletes in my schools 1st XI were the the kids only recently removed from the UK, the rest were just making up the numbers. When i was 3rd form the 1st XV challenged the 1st XI to a game of soccer. The rugby team won.[/b]

Well duh! They had 4 extra players! :p

Ba da boom, Dssh!

Such a bad joke byu munster man...yet it deserves a rep.
A poofy football rep!

I'm trying to understand if i'm a **** or not. I used to play football for my university, before going onto play for the rugby team in the 2nd and 3rd year, but now i don't play 11 a side at all, i swear.
Although, i do play 5 a side...maybe that makes me bi.

Is it true that Irish schoolkids boycotted their French classes today?

Hehe. Country's been driven to insolvency by bankers, socialists and developers - but the Hand of Frog is the burning issue. :wacko:

Latest posts