• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

World XV 2009

I wanted him and Martyn Williams in my side, and seeing Martyn at anything but 7 just seems wrong.

As for 10, how about the obvious. We're always hearing how good he is, but nobody has him in their side?

10). Stuart Barnes
9). Phillips/Du Preez

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DuncTheDoodle @ Sep 8 2009, 08:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I wanted him and Martyn Williams in my side, and seeing Martyn at anything but 7 just seems wrong.

As for 10, how about the obvious. We're always hearing how good he is, but nobody has him in their side?

10). Stuart Barnes
9). Phillips/Du Preez[/b]

10. Stuat Barnes
9. Mauro Bergomasco.

I Love Sergio Parisse. He's talented, elegant on the field, and he can do almost everything.

BUT

I think he maybe overrated around here. Ok, each year he's immense in the 6N. But his performances in club are not that great. Against the Quins he made a mistake that eliminate his team from the tournament, and despite his role of captain he's not as influential as he is with Italy. He played the whole season at 6 because Juan Manuel Leguizamon was better at 8 and he's not captain anymore at Paris. And in the summer he has been banned for a gouging. (a bit harsh maybe)

So, yeah, on the paper he can be the best 8. But for the 2009 year, it has to be Spies. Heaslip wasn't bad either.

What has Spies really done though? He wasn't great in the Lions and hasn't been standout in the 3N. Sure he has the potential to be a great but I don't think hes there yet.

I thought he was phenomenal in the Super 14. But as you say, I thought he was cack in the Lions, and he hasn't done much in the last couple of tests either.

Spies is a great player but usually only shines when the team is winning anyway. I would rather have a guy that can be influencial in the outcome in a tight match. Who that has been for 2010 I have no idea. Spies had a great S14 but it pretty much stops there. Powell hasn't had a good year. Heaslip had one good game IMO and there isn't anybody putting their hands up from FRA, ENG, AUS and NZ.

Agree with you Spies. Thing is somebody has put their hand up in France. Joe van Niekerk.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jer1cho @ Sep 9 2009, 01:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Dude, Joe van Niekerk? No.

Ryan Kankowski > Joe van Niekerk[/b]

No. Kankowski has the skills but that's about it.

Jo van Niekerk has carried on his own the Toulon team for the best part of last year. As a captain he felt the full pressure of relegation until almost the last game. That is not something you can learn in S14. His mental strength and leading-from-the -front were nothing short of awesome.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (stormer2010 @ Sep 8 2009, 04:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
13 Jacques Fourie (RSA)
7 ?[/b]
Eeeeejit!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gingergenius @ Sep 8 2009, 05:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
6. Elsom (pre-injury) Juan Smith after.[/b]
Eeeeejit!

Anyone who doesnt put Elsom at blindside and O'Driscoll at 13 is an Eeeeeeejit, biased, racist or insecure with their own sexuality.

That is all darlings

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Charles @ Sep 9 2009, 02:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
No. Kankowski has the skills but that's about it.

Jo van Niekerk has carried on his own the Toulon team for the best part of last year. As a captain he felt the full pressure of relegation until almost the last game. That is not something you can learn in S14. His mental strength and leading-from-the -front were nothing short of awesome.[/b]

The debate is a World XV. If you want to harp on about crap like influence, then John Smit would be a shoe-in wouldn't he? But no, there are BETTER players than him. The point is, the BEST players. If you were to compare rugby playing skills, and raw talent, then Kankowski blows Joe van Niekerk away.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jer1cho @ Sep 9 2009, 01:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Dude, Joe van Niekerk? No.

Ryan Kankowski > Joe van Niekerk[/b]

C'mon, you know I don't like Joe 'Sideways' van Niekerk but he has been the best no.8 in France recently. That Parisse fella is way behind. And since there have been no stand out no.8's this year besides him I think he is worthy of the prize.
Kankowski is the most unfortunate player is SA, really he is a more complete player than Spies. I dunno what the deal is. Spies has been average in international rugby for 2 seasons now. Kanko deserves his chance.

And yes, Kanko > Sideways

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Charles @ Sep 9 2009, 02:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Jo van Niekerk has carried on his own the Toulon team for the best part of last year. As a captain he felt the full pressure of relegation until almost the last game. That is not something you can learn in S14. His mental strength and leading-from-the -front were nothing short of awesome.[/b]
:lol:
He must be a quick learner then. Didn't learn a thing after all those years in the S14.

No. Kankowski has the skills but that's about it.[/b]

What does that actually mean?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Steve-o @ Sep 9 2009, 02:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
What does that actually mean?[/b]

It means that there's more than pure skills to rugby. If it wasn't, NZ would win all the RWC's. Brains and experience come into play as well.

I think Jacques Fourie has done more this year than O'Driscoll. Overall I think O'Driscoll the better player, though. What do you base picking O'Driscoll on? Lions tour?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (stormer2010 @ Sep 9 2009, 03:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I think Jacques Fourie has done more this year than O'Driscoll. Overall I think O'Driscoll the better player, though. What do you base picking O'Driscoll on? Lions tour?[/b]

Well O'Driscoll has won the Heineken Cup and 6 Nations grandslam this year. Also had a good Lions tour. I think the 13 spot is justified.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Charles @ Sep 9 2009, 03:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Steve-o @ Sep 9 2009, 02:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What does that actually mean?[/b]

It means that there's more than pure skills to rugby. If it wasn't, NZ would win all the RWC's. Brains and experience come into play as well.
[/b][/quote]
I can understand you judging Kanko on what you've seen in international rugby, but you obviously don't watch him enough.
NZer's have compared him to Zinzan Brooke before, he is a VERY clever player.
Watch more rugby.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (stormer2010 @ Sep 9 2009, 02:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I think Jacques Fourie has done more this year than O'Driscoll. Overall I think O'Driscoll the better player, though. What do you base picking O'Driscoll on? Lions tour?[/b]

Well, the 6 Nations...scored 4 tries in 5 matches and won player of thr tournement as captain, lifted the Heineken cup and yes, he was one half of the most succesfull comonation of the Lions Tour.

Meanwhile, Fourie played in a (golden)Lions squad that got upto nothing much, and though he's been great for South Africa I don't think he's had an O'Driscoll like Influence.

I though Imanol Harinordoquy played well for France and was one of their few consistant players in the 6N and did well in a poor (by their standards) Biarritz side.

By the way, might just be a Munster thing, but Jerry Flannery deserves an honerable mention at Hooker spot. If it was for a pre-injury and du Plessis' form since, he could have been in with a shot for said World 15.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (stormer2010 @ Sep 9 2009, 02:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
chairmanreg.gif

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Monkeypigeon @ Sep 9 2009, 03:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Well, the 6 Nations, scored 4 tries in 5 matches, won player of the tournament as captain, lifted the Heineken cup and yes, he was one half of the most succesfull combinations of the Lions Tour.[/b]

Wasnt Fourie on the bench behind Jacobs for the first test?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Steve-o @ Sep 9 2009, 02:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I can understand you judging Kanko on what you've seen in international rugby, but you obviously don't watch him enough.
NZer's have compared him to Zinzan Brooke before, he is a VERY clever player.
Watch more rugby.[/b]

I know Kanko and I've seen him play more than you think. I don't think he could captain a side under huge pressure from the management and the public like Toulon yet. Have you seen van Niekerk games in Toulon ?

I'm not saying Kanko's a bad player but some stuff you can never learn in S14. Winning ugly and the fear of relegation comes to mind. The only team that plays like that is the Crusaders.

Anyway, I know Kanko is very good so let' leave it at that ;)

Good call on Imanol btw. Wait for Picamoles, he is gonna be massive for France if Guy Noves can teach him well enough.

Latest posts