• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

World XV 2009

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Logorrhea @ Sep 9 2009, 04:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Monkeypigeon @ Sep 9 2009, 03:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well, the 6 Nations, scored 4 tries in 5 matches, won player of the tournament as captain, lifted the Heineken cup and yes, he was one half of the most succesfull combinations of the Lions Tour.[/b]

Wasnt Fourie on the bench behind Jacobs for the first test?
[/b][/quote]

I see where you're going with this. Quit now.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Charles @ Sep 9 2009, 04:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Steve-o @ Sep 9 2009, 02:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I can understand you judging Kanko on what you've seen in international rugby, but you obviously don't watch him enough.
NZer's have compared him to Zinzan Brooke before, he is a VERY clever player.
Watch more rugby.[/b]

I know Kanko and I've seen him play more than you think. I don't think he could captain a side under huge pressure from the management and the public like Toulon yet. Have you seen van Niekerk games in Toulon ?

I'm not saying Kanko's a bad player but some stuff you can never learn in S14. Winning ugly and the fear of relegation comes to mind. The only team that plays like that is the Crusaders.

Anyway, I know Kanko is very good so let' leave it at that ;)
[/b][/quote]

Yes I've seen van Niekerk play, why do you think I nominated him!

I get what you're saying, a relegation battle is something a player like Kanko has never faced. But seriously, South African teams win ugly often. We know all about what it takes to win at any cost.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Steve-o @ Sep 9 2009, 03:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Logorrhea @ Sep 9 2009, 04:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Monkeypigeon @ Sep 9 2009, 03:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well, the 6 Nations, scored 4 tries in 5 matches, won player of the tournament as captain, lifted the Heineken cup and yes, he was one half of the most succesfull combinations of the Lions Tour.[/b]

Wasnt Fourie on the bench behind Jacobs for the first test?
[/b][/quote]

I see where you're going with this. Quit now.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Charles @ Sep 9 2009, 04:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Steve-o @ Sep 9 2009, 02:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I can understand you judging Kanko on what you've seen in international rugby, but you obviously don't watch him enough.
NZer's have compared him to Zinzan Brooke before, he is a VERY clever player.
Watch more rugby.[/b]

I know Kanko and I've seen him play more than you think. I don't think he could captain a side under huge pressure from the management and the public like Toulon yet. Have you seen van Niekerk games in Toulon ?

I'm not saying Kanko's a bad player but some stuff you can never learn in S14. Winning ugly and the fear of relegation comes to mind. The only team that plays like that is the Crusaders.

Anyway, I know Kanko is very good so let' leave it at that ;)
[/b][/quote]

Yes I've seen van Niekerk play, why do you think I nominated him!

I get what you're saying, a relegation battle is something a player like Kanko has never faced. But seriously, South African teams win ugly often. We know all about what it takes to win at any cost.
[/b][/quote]

Well so we agree :lol:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Steve-o @ Sep 9 2009, 03:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I see where you're going with this. Quit now.[/b]

Wasnt really going anywhere with it. Just asking a fairly obvious question.

Anyhoo, while I know Fourie feels differently, there can be no comparisons between the two. To be honest I'm assuming Stormer is actually Fouries mom.

Or maybe even Fourie himself, seeing as he's fairly adamant that he is infact:

The Best Centre..........in the Wooorrllld.

celebgal_03_clarkson.jpg

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cyRil of Ospreylia @ Sep 8 2009, 02:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I don't wish to be pedantic, but it was probably c.32AD.
Jebediah was Prophet of the Year 0AD.[/b]

To become even more overly pedantic, there was most likely no Year 0 A.D., it went from 1 B.C. to 1 A.D. :D

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (stormer2010 @ Sep 9 2009, 11:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Powell hasn't had a good year.[/b]
Powell has hardly had a good game in his career. I'm a big fan of him as an impact sub, but the last time I recall he was good throughout an entire match was against the All Blacks in last year's AIs.

Make Ryan Jones the Welsh No 8 again!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DuncTheDoodle @ Sep 9 2009, 09:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (stormer2010 @ Sep 9 2009, 11:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Powell hasn't had a good year.[/b]
Powell has hardly had a good game in his career. I'm a big fan of him as an impact sub, but the last time I recall he was good throughout an entire match was against the All Blacks in last year's AIs.

Make Ryan Jones the Welsh No 8 again!
[/b][/quote]

Ryan Jones has a reputation based on a good Lions tour in 2005 and nothing else. He's a very average player. I'm not Powell's biggest fan either, but at least he brings something to the party.

This is why I'm suspicious of players who have great Lions tours suddenly having their reputations soar. It's a unique environment that often brings certain people to levels they never attain elsewhere. I'd be interested to see if previously 'good, upcoming but not quite in my own national side' players like Croft and Roberts manage to maintain the world class standards they set themselves in South Africa.

Ryan Jones and Simon Easterby never could. I hope Croft can.

McCaw has had a quiet season mostly due to injury but I'd still rate him the best with Smith not far behind... Smith was immaculate leading up to the Tri Nations and has generally been one of the Wallabies better players...

Brussouw was phenomenal for the Boks IN South Africa but was hardly dominant in the last two test matches... in fact he was pretty much invisible, and he wasn't anything special in the Super 14... basically, he has only looked good when the Bok pack is dominating and I wouldn't be surprised if McCaw teaches him a lesson this weekend...

I'm sure you could pick a better team than this, but I've picked players who have either had a breakout year (Brussow, Steyn, Roberts), returned to their excellent best (Habana, BOD) or continued being generally awesome (Fourie Du Preez, Botha).

15. Rob Kearney
14. Tommy Bowe
13. Brian O'Driscoll
12. Jamie Roberts
11. Bryan Habana
10. Morne Steyn
9. Fourie Du Preez
8. Jamie Heaslip
7. Heinrich Brussow
6. Rockie Elsom
5. Paul O'Connoll
4. Backies Botha
3. Adam Jones
2. Jerry Flannery
1. Tony Woodcock

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Fushitsusha @ Sep 10 2009, 03:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
McCaw has had a quiet season mostly due to injury but I'd still rate him the best with Smith not far behind... Smith was immaculate leading up to the Tri Nations and has generally been one of the Wallabies better players...

Brussouw was phenomenal for the Boks IN South Africa but was hardly dominant in the last two test matches... in fact he was pretty much invisible, and he wasn't anything special in the Super 14... basically, he has only looked good when the Bok pack is dominating and I wouldn't be surprised if McCaw teaches him a lesson this weekend...[/b]
:huh: Just because Phil kearns and co. didn't watch enough rugby to realise Brussow (and Smith) held the Cheetahs up this season, and subsequently didn't ever mention him in 'The rugby Club' (or whatever the Aus rugby talk show is) doesn't mean he didn't play well. He destroyed McCaw in the s14 when they came head to head and was outstanding all season. I agree his last 2 games have been much quieter though.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (crispy @ Sep 11 2009, 08:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I'm sure you could pick a better team than this, but I've picked players who have either had a breakout year (Brussow, Steyn, Roberts), returned to their excellent best (Habana, BOD) or continued being generally awesome (Fourie Du Preez, Botha).

15. Rob Kearney
14. Tommy Bowe
13. Brian O'Driscoll
12. Jamie Roberts
11. Bryan Habana
10. Morne Steyn
9. Fourie Du Preez
8. Jamie Heaslip
7. Heinrich Brussow
6. Rockie Elsom
5. Paul O'Connoll
4. Backies Botha
3. Adam Jones
2. Jerry Flannery
1. Tony Woodcock[/b]
One All Black...how generous.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Nickdnz @ Sep 11 2009, 11:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (crispy @ Sep 11 2009, 08:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

15. Rob Kearney
14. Tommy Bowe
13. Brian O'Driscoll
12. Jamie Roberts
11. Bryan Habana
10. Morne Steyn
9. Fourie Du Preez
8. Jamie Heaslip
7. Heinrich Brussow
6. Rockie Elsom
5. Paul O'Connoll
4. Backies Botha
3. Adam Jones
2. Jerry Flannery
1. Tony Woodcock[/b]
[/b][/quote]
Considering the way they've been playing this year, it is really.

Anyway, has anyone considered Nick Evans on the list yet?

Look, O'Driscoll is a legend and IMO probably the best rugby player of this decade tied with McCaw and Carter. But in my opinion, the 6nations and Heiniken cup belong to last year. But then again there wouldn't be anything to actually go by so I guess that puts me in my place.

Well Nick Evans was good from September to January....and then most of this year he was injured or nt=ot quite as good as he was before the New Year so I couldn't really see him fitting into a team of this year.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Teh Mite @ Sep 11 2009, 12:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Nickdnz @ Sep 11 2009, 11:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (crispy @ Sep 11 2009, 08:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

15. Rob Kearney
14. Tommy Bowe
13. Brian O'Driscoll
12. Jamie Roberts
11. Bryan Habana
10. Morne Steyn
9. Fourie Du Preez
8. Jamie Heaslip
7. Heinrich Brussow
6. Rockie Elsom
5. Paul O'Connoll
4. Backies Botha
3. Adam Jones
2. Jerry Flannery
1. Tony Woodcock[/b]
[/b][/quote]
Considering the way they've been playing this year, it is really.

Anyway, has anyone considered Nick Evans on the list yet?
[/b][/quote]

Exchange O'Conell for Matfield, Steyn for Giteau and Flkannery for du Plessis and I'm with you.

Evans has not played at international level and i can't see how one can put anybody ahed of Giteau at this stage except for Carter who outclassed him the one game they played against each other but thats just it, he only played the one game.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (stormer2010 @ Sep 11 2009, 11:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Look, O'Driscoll is a legend and IMO probably the best rugby player of this decade tied with McCaw and Carter. But in my opinion, the 6nations and Heiniken cup belong to last year. But then again there wouldn't be anything to actually go by so I guess that puts me in my place.[/b]

So we're basing this on the Southern Hemisphere year so that only about 30 Players from England Scotland Ireland and Wales (combined) have played, and the French players (with members missing) having played 3 games at the end of their season (the longest in the world) at any sort of international level?

How do you define '2009' exactly?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (stormer2010 @ Sep 11 2009, 11:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
But in my opinion, the 6nations and Heiniken cup belong to last year. But then again there wouldn't be anything to actually go by so I guess that puts me in my place.[/b]

Was that a different 2009? :huh:

Latest posts