• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

WRU Considers 5th Welsh Region

Don't think that's very fair Lukascd. Some of the supporters from the valleys etc. come from a time were there was great rivelry between the clubs of Pont etc. and Cardiff. After the Wariors were dispanded, they have felt alienated from the pro game, many feeling the need to support the Dragon's or Ospreys before the 'we're still Cardiff' Blues. If the Blues dropped the name Cardiff from the name it would make a difference. I know, people should probably be less petty, but these kind of rivalries exist in all sports ( Wales v England anyone?).

Unfortunately, the chance was lost when regionalism was bought in to do it right. None of this 'we want to stay as Cardiff/Llanelli' bullshit. They should have all started from scratch!

Still though, at least the Valleys have a team not to far away to support. What about north Wales (or even Mid Wales for that matter), never felt like part of the Scarlets. Suppose the talent/crowds aren't here, or there would be some decent clubs founded already! But it's up to the WRU to utillise the rest of Wales, were to small a country to only use a small part of the potential player base.

Also, the BBC thing is that that's the last time BBC1 will be at the arms park. There will be more games televised on BBC2W and S4C. Don't think other regions are televised more than any others, possibly less Dragons games on, and more O's games, but they cater for demand I suppose.

I disagree there with Lukascd because I know many a fan of the old Warriors have joined Cardiff or the Ospreys! Of course there are many that have not because they feel the Valley's should have a side but the facts remain until the Cardiff from Blues is dropped the Blues wont get there support!

Fair enough I suppose, I know what rivalry is like, its why cardiff hate (bit harsh maybe) the ospreys (probably just swansea in general). I think that if another welsh region was created then they would start of from the bottom and would take many years to build up (in other words they would just be practice for the other teams and no one would want to watch them lose that much); not to mention the fact that north and mid wales is a huge area, so where would the home ground be? And if there was a placement in central north wales to be fair, then there would be hardly any fans in a reasonable distance to the stadium. I also agree that if all the teams took the place name out of their ***le (i.e. cardiff blues - blues, llanelli scarlets - scarlets) then it would be fair, especially for north waleans who are in the scarlet's region. (I was born in newport and lived in gwent but have never in my life supported the dragons, ive always supported the blues (i live in cardiff now so dont feel too bad about not ever supporting the dragons). I hate newport city so the newport gwent dragons ***le just turned me off them (never bothered me with cardiff though cause its a nicer city) so I can understand people not supporting cardiff blues because they hated the old cardiff team (or even cardiff in general).

Ive just read up about the Warriors on wiki (didn't really pay that much attention to it a few years ago). What a tragedy can't believe that happened (id be ****** off if cardiff blues just vanished (some ospreys fans wouldnt))
(Oh no im gona say it!)
Well that's welsh Rugby for you

The Scalets have got rid of Llanelli from their name. Newport Gwent Dragons got rid of Newport from their name, apparently a petition went around with thousnads of signatured demanding Newport be put back in (if anyone believes that!), so their back to Newport Gwent Dragons unfortunately. The Blues have flat out refused (or should I say Norster et all has, he's an idiot!). The other problem is ith The Blues playing the the Blue of Cardiff, that will still put off many a valley fan.

I'm personally a supporter or all regions. For me, Wales comes first and I enjoy watching all regions win. It's great to see the Blues play such great rugby at the moment, and the Dragons standing up and fighting all the way. Pitty the O's and Scarlets can't show the same skill and determination.

Well said! They should bring back the warriors but under a different name (keep the regions as they were a few years back, cause I think that the main fanbase for Wales is in the valleys); not sure what to do about north wales

Latest posts