• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Your Clubs Best Possible XV Ever.

Never saw a huge amount of Baugh tbf, he's forwards coach now isn't he? Wouldn't consider Lomu personally as he was nowhere near his best when he was at Cardiff. I thought Harris didn't stick around that long after the regions got made? Played only like 10 games I think

Baugh was an absolute unit for the Blues. Now part of Wales set up, assists Adam Beard with Wales fitness.

Chiefs 2012 team as they won the Super 15 ***le, no discussion possible.

I haven't made a XV thread in what must be years - but I'm interested to know what you feel your clubs best possible XV would be. I'll start with the Hurricanes -
1. Mark Allen
2. Andrew Hore
3. Ben Franks
4. Dion Waller
5. Jason Eaton
6. Jerry Collins
7. Chris Masoe
8. Rodney So'oialo
9. Piri Weepu
10. Aaron Cruden
11. Jonah Lomu
12. Tana Umaga (c)
13. Conrad Smith
14. Cory Jane
15. Christian Cullen

16. Norm Hewitt
17. Neemia Tialata
18. Inoki Afeaki
19. Victor Vito
20. Jon Preston
21. Ma'a Nonu
22. Lome Fa'atau

My only changes.

Mine's a bit biased towards the later years:

Chiefs 22

1 Michael Collins
2 Tom Willis
3 Ben Afeaki
4 Ian Jones
5 Keith Robinson
6 Jono Gibbes
7 Marty Holah
8 Liam Messam
9 Byron Kelleher
10 Aaron Cruden
11 Siti Sivivatu
12 Sonny Bill Williamss
13 Richard Kahui
14 Roger Randle
15 Bruce Reihana
16 Mo Schwalger
17 Simms Davison
18 Brodie Retalick
19 Sione Lauaki
20 Brendon Leonard
21 David Hill
22 Mils Muliaina

Close but no cigar: Stephen Donald (could've had him and Hill as the five eighths), Regan King (though he didn't play his best rugby until he left the country), Sosene Anesi, Stephen Bates, Jonah Lomu (wouldn't feel right picking him, also didn't play his best when with the Chiefs).

Cruden over Donald due to his partnership with SBW, Lauaku when on form, and Leonard from 2007/8 as an impact player.

No Frank Bunce?

Hmmm I forgot about Bunce - I kind of like my line up the way it is :p You could possibly switch him and SBW, considering SBW only played one season for the Chiefs, but he WAS immense in that season... It's a toughie.

Sams Auckland Blues

1. Tony Woodcock
2. Kevin Mealamu
3. Craig Dowd
4. Ian Jones
5. Ali Williams
6. Jerome Kaino
7. Micheal Jones
8. Zinzan Brooke
9. Junior Tonu'u
10. Carlos Spencer
11. Jonah Lomu
12. Lee Stensness/Craig Innes
13. Eroni Clarke/Joe Stanley
14. Rupeni Caucaunibuca/John Kirwan
15. Adrian Cashmore

Special mention as some of my favourites:- Joeli Vidiri, Joe Rocokoko, Doug Howlett, Terry Wright, Bernie McCahill, Matthew Ridge, Sean Fitzpatrick, Robin Brooke, Shane Howarth, Isa Nacewa, Isaiah Toeava.

As much as i admire Kevvy, there is NO WAY he is takes teh place of the greatest hooker ever in Sean Fitzpatrick.

My Blues team:

Dowd
Fitzpatrick
Brown
R Brooke
Williams
Kaino
Jones
Z Brooke
Tonu'u
Lomu
Spencer
Stensness / Tuitupou
Clarke
Caucaunibuca
Muliaina / Cashmore

Bench:
Woodcock
Mealamu
Lafaiali'i
Luatua
Devine
Mulaina / Cashmore
Rockocoko

I am from Canterbury so I figure I should do the Crusaders team. I don't really support them over the other NZ franchises, though. I generally support individual players who I like/think will be good at All Black level.
Also, go easy on me as I only started seriously following rugby in 2006.

1.Greg Somerville
2.Corey Flynn
3.Owen Franks
4.Brad Thorn
5.Sam Whitelock
6.Kieran Read
7.Richie McCaw
8.Mose Tuiali'i
9.Justin Marshall
10.Dan Carter
11.Marika Vunibaka
12.Aaron Mauger
13.Casey Laulala
14.Afato Sooalo
15.Leon MacDonald

16.Mark Hammett
17.Wyatt Crockett
18.Chris Jack
19.Reuben Thorne
20.Andy Ellis
21.Andrew Mehrtens
22.Israel Dagg

Unlucky: many of the Crusaders that played before 2006, Kahn Fotuali'i, Ali Williams? I know that guys like Maxwell, Blackadder, Hewett, Feek played in the glory days - I don't know how good any of them were. Same with Richard Loe. I don't really rate Thorne (from the little I saw), but put him on the bench. The team of the decade had Berryman and Ralph over Sooalo and Vunibaka - from what I've read, this is terribly wrong. According to Wikipedia, they also selected Kieran Read 2 years before his debut (it was selected in 2005, he debuted in 2007). They even picked him at No.8

Oops! I forgot Rico Gear existed. Perhaps on the wing over Sooalo. I never saw Sooalo so I will go with that, for now.

I am from Canterbury so I figure I should do the Crusaders team. I don't really support them over the other NZ franchises, though. I generally support individual players who I like/think will be good at All Black level.
Also, go easy on me as I only started seriously following rugby in 2006.

1.Greg Somerville
2.Corey Flynn
3.Owen Franks
4.Brad Thorn
5.Sam Whitelock (Chris Jack)
6.Kieran Read (Reuben Thorne) - Thorne was All Blacks and Crusaders captain and played 129 games for the Crusaders (the record of any SR player at the time).
7.Richie McCaw
8.Mose Tuiali'i (Kieran Read) - Kieran Read looked at his best by far playing at 8 over 6 (never used to rate him when he was a blind side - huge mistake)
9.Justin Marshall
10.Dan Carter
11.Marika Vunibaka
12.Aaron Mauger
13.Casey Laulala
14.Afato Sooalo (Rico Gear) - Like you mentioned.
15.Leon MacDonald (Israel Dagg - always thought he was a safe player but very unspectacular - think Dagg has offered more

16.Mark Hammett
17.Wyatt Crockett (Dave Hewitt) - Like Crockett but Hewitt probably did more for the Crusaders.
18.Chris Jack (Sam Whitelock)
19.Reuben Thorne - (Todd Blackadder) - First successful captain of the Crusaders. Wasn't an amazing player but worked incredibly hard and lead very well. **** coach.
20.Andy Ellis
21.Andrew Mehrtens
22.Israel Dagg (Leon McDonald)

Unlucky: many of the Crusaders that played before 2006, Kahn Fotuali'i, Ali Williams? I know that guys like Maxwell, Blackadder, Hewett, Feek played in the glory days - I don't know how good any of them were. Same with Richard Loe. I don't really rate Thorne (from the little I saw), but put him on the bench. The team of the decade had Berryman and Ralph over Sooalo and Vunibaka - from what I've read, this is terribly wrong. According to Wikipedia, they also selected Kieran Read 2 years before his debut (it was selected in 2005, he debuted in 2007). They even picked him at No.8

Not a bad side. I'd make a few changes. Also players like Daryl Gibson is very unlucky.

WP
"A" Team
15. Percy Montgomery
14. Ray Mordt
13. Fafa Knoetze
12. Christian Stewart
11. Carel Du Plessis
10. Michael Du Plessis
9. Divan Serfontein
8. Morne Du Plessis
7. Rob Louw
6. Gert Smal