• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Your Countrys team for the 3N

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jer1cho @ Apr 15 2009, 06:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
1. Heinke vd Merwe
2. Bismark du Plessis
3. John Smit
4. Bakkies Botha
5. Victor Matfield
6. Heinrich Brussow
7. Pierre Spies
8. Ryan Kankowski

9. Fourie du Preez

10. Ruan Pienaar
11. Bryan Habana
12. Jean de Villiers
13. Jacques Fourie
14. JP Pieterson
15. Stephan Terreblanche

16. The Beast
17. Johan Muller
18. Schalk Burger
19. Rory Kockott
20. Morne Steyn
21. Francois Steyn
22. Chilliboy Rallapele[/b]
Very solid team there, you can make a case for all those players.

Mine is slightly different.

1. Heinke vd Merwe
2. John Smit
3. Jannie Du Plessis
4. Bakkies Botha
5. Victor Matfield
6. Heinrich Brussow
7. Juan Smith
8. Ryan Kankowski

9. Fourie du Preez

10. Ruan Pienaar
11. JP Pietersen
12. Jean de Villiers
13. Jacques Fourie
14. Odwa Ndungane
15. Stefan Terblanche

16. The BEAST!!!
17. Bismarck Du Plessis
18. Schalk Burger
19. Andries Bekker
20. Rory Kockott
21. Bryan Habana
22. Francois Steyn

Very tough selection. Honourable mentions go to Jongi Nokwe, Wynand Olivier, Johan Muller, Luke Watson, Ricky Januarie (bad form though), Morne Steyn, Danie Rossouw, Conrad Jantjes and Pierre Spies. Any of these players can fill in really. Gotta love Springbok rugby at the moment!

It seems odd that Schalk Burger wouldn't be in the starting XV but he has been a little off form, what I've seen of him anyway.

15 Muliaina (I don't like him but he is the best fullback in NZ by far)
14 Masaga ( I don't like him either but Rococoko and Sivivatu are too similar to pick both of them and Gear hasn't backed up his ANZ cup form last season)
13 C.Smith ( I never considered picking anyone else. He's a good solid player doesn't do stupid things or make bad mistakes. I think we need someone like that in the backline)
12 Nonu (Not a great Super14 so far but you can't leave him out)
11 Sivivatu (A good Super 14 so far. I wouldn't care if Rococko made it instead)
10 McAlister (Hopefully he is allowed)
9 Leonard (NZ's best halfback easily)

8 Soalialo (I don't like him but you can't not pick him)
7 McCaw
6 Thompson (No standouts really)
5 Thorn (no one else)
4 Williams
3 Tialata
2 Hore (how can you not pick him when he was voted best player in NZ last year? Some people have short memories)
1 Woodock

16 Mealamu
17 Makintosh
18 Boric
19 Read
20 Weepu (not the second best halfback but can play 10)
21 Kahui
22 Any outside back.

Just watch Januarie and Jantjes being on... man I don't know why, but I dont want them playing for the Bokke.

Januarie is still ok, he adds that menancing terrier aspect when he's at his best but Jantjes has been pants for a while now.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Steve-o @ Apr 17 2009, 03:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Januarie is still ok, he adds that menancing terrier aspect when he's at his best but Jantjes has been pants for a while now.[/b]

Ha ha. You said pants. lol. Pants, PANTS!!!!! so stoned... Yes he has been sucking. Uh, pants. Wait what?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dale @ Apr 16 2009, 05:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cyRil of Ospreylia @ Apr 15 2009, 01:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This isn't me picking a fight with Aussies, but looking at squads being purported it seems apparent that there really is a gap in class and depth of player pools between Oz and the other 2 SH countries.[/b]

RL and AFL are top dog in Aus mate.
Add soccer and cricket too, union is below the pecking order here
Quite amazing how competitive Australia still are in union.
[/b][/quote]

You guys have a population of 20 million and we have one of 4 million, thats how. But this logic doesn't really work for RSA.

Presumed NZ Squad for Tri Nations

Props
T Woodcock
J Afoa
N Tialata
J Mackintosh

Hookers
A Hore
K Mealamu

Locks
B Thorn
A Williams
A Boric
I Ross

Loose Forwards
R McCaw
J Kaino
R So'oalo
L Messam
K Read
A Thompson

Halfbacks
B Leonard
J Cowan
P Weepu

Five Eigths
S Donald

Centres
R Kahui
C Smith
M Nonu
I Toeava

Outside Backs
M Muliaina
L Macdonald
J Rokocoko
S Sivivatu
A Tuitavake
R Wulf

Masaga's out for six weeks, meaning he misses all of the round robin. If the Chiefs make the semis he'll have a chance, but it's amazingly hard to come back to form if you miss a few weeks and are pushed straight into finals rugby.

To be blunt, I don't think he'll make it.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Fushitsusha @ Apr 15 2009, 01:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Fullback - Gerrard... no doubts there... then we've got guys like Shepherd, Mitchell or even Ashley-Cooper...[/b]

Hmmmmm........Gerrard should have been the automatic selection after cam shepherd broke down last year. In fact based on form last year there was very little difference in s14 form between sheps and gerrard yet he was still ignored at fullback for the wallabies. What makes you think this year will be any different?

ps this isnt a dig at you cos im a supporter of gerrard at fulback for the wallabies....just not so much a supporter of AAC or drew mitchell wearing 15.

Gerrard was very good last year but I think he's been a lot better this year and his form can't be ignored....

Last year he had to battle with Shepherd and Shepherd won out because of his running game... I think that's one of the areas that Gerrard has improved, but there also hasn't been any competition for the fullback spot from anybody else...

I don't want to see Mitchell or AAC at fullback either... Mitchell is a winger... and AAC is a centre...

However, I understand why Deans like AAC at fullback as he's probably the best broken field/counter-attacking runner of the lot... it's just those other necessities a fullback needs that he doesn't have (kicking, positioning etc.)...

Anyways, Gerrard could have an overseas contract lined up before the Wallaby squad is announced so he might not even get considered...

As I said before - if Timana Tahu is selected in the squad... or if there's another big makeup of Reds players... I will find it difficult to have faith in Robbie Deans...

Presumed NZ Squad for Tri Nations (Revised)

Props
T Woodcock
J Afoa
N Tialata
J Mackintosh

Hookers
A Hore
K Mealamu

Locks
B Thorn
A Williams
A Boric
I Ross

Loose Forwards
R McCaw
J Kaino
R So'oalo
L Messam
K Read
A Thompson

Halfbacks
B Leonard
J Cowan
P Weepu

Five Eigths
S Donald

Centres
R Kahui
C Smith
M Nonu
L McAlister

Outside Backs
M Muliaina
L Macdonald
J Rokocoko
S Sivivatu
A Tuitavake
I Toeva

That looks about right, but I think Jason Eaton or Jeremy Thrush might be a bit more likely to get in than Ross. I do think Ross might be given a run on the End of Year Tour, though. I suppose we'll have to wait and see.

It's a shame that Masaga got injured.

I think they'll take someone like Ross because they need a bolter. And he looks very promising.

The 3N isn't really the time to bring in bolters, is it? The bolters usually pop up on the End of Year Tours.

If we were low on locks like we were a couple of years ago, I think Ross would be a fine selection. However, we currently have four locks who have played and succeeded on the world stage, so why not select them?

It's not as if Jason Eaton has had a bad season like he did last year.

Of the guys who have shone in recent years, none of em have exactly looked great this year...

Jason Eaton/Jeremy Thrush - Can't win lineouts between em. NZ has failed miserably in the past with bad lineouts.
Kevin O'Neil - Hasn't been amazing, sticks to his guns.
Tom Donnely - Hasn't stood out this season, possibly due to the injury earlier.

And how much of the season has Ali Williams actually played? Will he actually be any good when he returns from injury or will he struggle like Tom Donnelly?

In fairness, the line-out thing seems to be a New Zealand wide thing. Thrush and Eaton have been very good in open play, but you're right, the Hurricanes' line-outs have been appalling this year. Andrew Hore blamed himself for last weekends' shambles, and I'd think he's right in taking the blame this time around. In saying that, I think it's been a team problem throughout the rest of the season.

It's not that I don't think Ross doesn't deserve his chance, I just think that Eaton is more likely to be called up as a fourth choice lock, for the 3N, anyway.

Latest posts