• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Your Countrys team for the 3N

The Hurricanse lineout has been abysmal the whole year, so it can't really be blamed on Hore too much.

I can't see us not capping at least one new player, and with Masaga out, the only other real options are probably Hika Elliot, maybe Clint Newland. So we'll almost certainly see either Thrush or Ross in the locks, and I wouldn't be suprsied to see Ross picked over Thrush.

I said Hore was accountable for the line-out problems last weekend, as he rightly said. Every other week the Hurricanes forward pack have just been poor as a unit.

If they have to cap a new player, what about Tamati Ellison? Or why not bring through the players they took on last year's End of Year Tour properly?

The outside backs I listed are basically guaranteed to get into the squad. I can't see Ellison getting in anywhere else, so I can't imagine him fitting. Jane and Wulf woul probably be in before him too...

The Iveco series will only have 26 members, that'll be one interesting squad...

Personally, I'd say Tuitavake's place is anything but guarenteed. But again, that's just me. If I had him in the squad, it would be at centre, not out on the wing.

As Ellison and Tuitavake are both utility backs, I'd say they probably would be in direct competition with each other. I'd actually pick Tuitavake to get in over Ellison (even if I rate Ellison more atm), but I wouldn't be surprised if Ellison had a great NPC and found himself on the End of Year Tour.

How old's Ellison? He's been around a while so I always thought he was pretty old and would be off to the Northern Hemisphere soon.

Wikipedia says he's 26. He's not young but he's not exactly old either, but it does feel like he's been around a while. However, look at how old Scott Waldrom was before he cracked the All Blacks.

Yeah, but I think it's harder for backs, as one of the key attributes is speed, which tends to decrease at a higher age (not saying Ellison isn't quick).

Besides, I don't think Waldrom will be playing too many games for the All Blacks anyway.

Have you seen any of the tries Ellison has scored or set-up this year? Most of them have been because of him running at speed on the right angles. And despite the fact that Waldrom probably won't play many games for the All Blacks because of his age and Richie McCaw, one of his main attributes is his speed to the breakdown and in open play. ;)

I'm not saying Ellison isn't playing well, just that the chances of him taking away one of the spots from an incumbent is unlikely at its best.

Especially as there's only a 26 man squad for the easy tests, with McAlister coming back (and presumably being in the squad) I don't see someone like Ellison as having a chance. Especially as I can't seeing him getting game time over any of the the other players. The centres will always be out of McAlister, Kahui, Toeava, Nonu and Smith, andthe outside backs will always be out of Muliaina, Sivivatu, Rokocoko, Tuitavake/Wulf. There's simply not enough spots.

I just typed up about 10 minutes of squads for ABs and JABs before Firefox failed on me...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ChiefsFan @ Apr 24 2009, 05:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I'm not saying Ellison isn't playing well, just that the chances of him taking away one of the spots from an incumbent is unlikely at its best.

Especially as there's only a 26 man squad for the easy tests, with McAlister coming back (and presumably being in the squad) I don't see someone like Ellison as having a chance. Especially as I can't seeing him getting game time over any of the the other players. The centres will always be out of McAlister, Kahui, Toeava, Nonu and Smith, andthe outside backs will always be out of Muliaina, Sivivatu, Rokocoko, Tuitavake/Wulf. There's simply not enough spots.[/b]

McAlister isn't coming back for the Iveco Series, anyway. Just the Tri-Nations.
I'm with Ripper, though. Tamati Ellison won't be making the squad. Toeava can already cover half the back-line. Ellison doesn't stand out as being better than any of the All Black backs in one position so it would be hard for him to get in the side.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (allyoop @ Apr 24 2009, 07:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ChiefsFan @ Apr 24 2009, 05:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Especially as there's only a 26 man squad for the easy tests, with McAlister coming back (and presumably being in the squad) I don't see someone like Ellison as having a chance. Especially as I can't seeing him getting game time over any of the the other players. The centres will always be out of McAlister, Kahui, Toeava, Nonu and Smith, andthe outside backs will always be out of Muliaina, Sivivatu, Rokocoko, Tuitavake/Wulf. There's simply not enough spots.[/b]

McAlister isn't coming back for the Iveco Series, anyway. Just the Tri-Nations.
I'm with Ripper, though. Tamati Ellison won't be making the squad. Toeava can already cover half the back-line. Ellison doesn't stand out as being better than any of the All Black backs in one position so it would be hard for him to get in the side.
[/b][/quote]

Yeah, my long post would've included my newfound knowledge. Stupid unstable Firefox...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ChiefsFan @ Apr 24 2009, 05:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

And I don't think that Wulf or Tuitavake have done enough in the All Blacks jersey to warrant being incumbents. In fact, Eaton has done more than them for the All Blacks, yet you think that Ross should be selected ahead of him.

Like I've said before, I don't think that the squad will change much from last year in the Iveco Series and the 3N. If Ross and Ellison get their chance it'll be on the End of Year Tour.

In the end, I don't think we're going to get anywhere with this discussion. You've got your opinions and I've got mine, I can't see either of us changing our stance. We'll just have to wait and see what happens I guess.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Flux @ Apr 25 2009, 12:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ChiefsFan @ Apr 24 2009, 05:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

And I don't think that Wulf or Tuitavake have done enough in the All Blacks jersey to warrant being incumbents. In fact, Eaton has done more than them for the All Blacks, yet you think that Ross should be selected ahead of him.

Like I've said before, I don't think that the squad will change much from last year in the Iveco Series and the 3N. If Ross and Ellison get their chance it'll be on the End of Year Tour.

In the end, I don't think we're going to get anywhere with this discussion. You've got your opinions and I've got mine, I can't see either of us changing our stance. We'll just have to wait and see what happens I guess.
[/b][/quote]

Agreed.

I guess I can see the reasoning for considering Ross. We have Thorn and Williams already starting and then there's Boric who's almost certain to be on the bench. Ross could be a good selection for a 4th string lock, but Eaton would be unlucky to miss out.

I think Tim Bateman and Stephen Brett are the only other new guys I wouldn't be surprised to see getting a call up this year.

I don't think Tim Bateman's been that great in the Super 14 this year, but I'm sure we all agree he's a great player. I don't think he'll be picked until maybe the end of the year though. Same with Brett, but I don't think we'll see him in the black jersey until he works on his flakey defense and dodgy goal kicking.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ChiefsFan @ Apr 25 2009, 01:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I don't think Tim Bateman's been that great in the Super 14 this year, but I'm sure we all agree he's a great player. I don't think he'll be picked until maybe the end of the year though. Same with Brett, but I don't think we'll see him in the black jersey until he works on his flakey defense and dodgy goal kicking.[/b]

On the subject of Brett I agree with you, but for a new comer in a depleted backline Bateman has been very reliable. With Brett, Bateman and Crotty at 10, 12, 13 he has done very well to stand up to other teams' midfields this season. My only problem with him is that he needs to add a bit more bulk to his frame, he is relatively small when compared to most international centers.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (wairarapa_cullen @ Apr 25 2009, 01:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ChiefsFan @ Apr 25 2009, 01:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't think Tim Bateman's been that great in the Super 14 this year, but I'm sure we all agree he's a great player. I don't think he'll be picked until maybe the end of the year though. Same with Brett, but I don't think we'll see him in the black jersey until he works on his flakey defense and dodgy goal kicking.[/b]

On the subject of Brett I agree with you, but for a new comer in a depleted backline Bateman has been very reliable. With Brett, Bateman and Crotty at 10, 12, 13 he has done very well to stand up to other teams' midfields this season. My only problem with him is that he needs to add a bit more bulk to his frame, he is relatively small when compared to most international centers.
[/b][/quote]

He defininitely looks like the future Mauger of NZ rugby, but yeah, he'll need a bit more bulk on him. Justa bit of gym work I suppose, it's a matter of whether or not he can keep his speed as well.

I think it was very unfortunate that Benson Stanley got injured early on in the season, he looks very promising. I didn't realise he was so old, he's the same age as McAlister...

I reckon a bolter for the All Blacks for the Iveco tests could be Willie Ripia. He looks very steady and assured. I would say that he will go on to be much better then Donald.

Latest posts