• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2009 Player of the Year

FOURIE DU PREEZ WITH OUT A DOUBT!!!
the man has been on fire for the past 12 months and a man of the match candidate for every match this year
and in my opinon JAQUE FOURIE easily better player then BOD
BOD IS A BIG WISH SWIMMING IN A POND!
way to easy to be a stand out player
where FDP has stood out in the number one team in the world with the top 2 break out new stars in Brussow and Morne Steyn the current big names like bakkies & matfeild(greatest lock pairing of all time IMO spies who as produce the gratest performance of a #8 this year(what an athlete this man is) habana(nef said) JDV (nef said) and Jaque Fourie
there realy is no argument but because of the armband dispute and the IRB hatred of SA BOD will get but not desrerve it as much as FDP

I apologize, on behalf of all South African members for the above post.

That is all.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jer1cho @ Nov 3 2009, 06:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I apologize, on behalf of all South African members for the above post.

That is all.[/b]
On behalf of the rugby community as a <strike>w</strike>hole I accept your apology.

Could we get a moderator to lock this thread down until BOD is rightly crowned as king?

It could help to avoid other similar instances where missguided SH members get overexcited about whats his name.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Steve-o @ Nov 3 2009, 10:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
No way! This thread is almost as good as the religion thread.[/b]

Nahh its kinda faded. I think in the process of annoying 90% of the SH posters I seem to have lost my powers :(

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Nickdnz @ Oct 13 2009, 05:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I love how people from other countries all ways back their player being "the best of the year".[/b]

In that case, I'm gonna have to go with Todd Clever! Seriously though I think Du Preez is the best choice, although did he even get nominated? On the RugbyZone poll his name wasn't up.

Nominations aren't till the end of november I think.

Saw that Poll and it was a very silly poll.

I recall the award being given in the penultimate week of the AIs last year, although I don't remember when the nominees where named. Still, can't be too much longer.

Well nominations are in and Brian O'Driscoll is one step closer to completing the formality that is this years awards.

Congratulations to all the other players on being nominated.

Source: IRB.com

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
This year sees an extended list of seven nominees following the closest vote in the IRB Player of the Year award's history.
Ireland number 8 Jamie Heaslip, Australia's Matt Giteau, Tom Croft of England and South African duo Francois Steyn and Fourie du Preez compete against two international captains in Ireland's Grand Slam-winning skipper Brian O'Driscoll and Richie McCaw of New Zealand to win the most prestigious individual award in rugby union.

IRB Chairman Bernard Lapasset said: "The IRB Player of the Year award is the ultimate accolade for a player and takes into account performances in all internationals played during the year, including the RBS 6 Nations, British & Irish Lions Test series, Tri Nations and the June and November Tests.

"The list of past winners includes the iconic names of the decade - Jonny Wilkinson, Schalk Burger, Richie McCaw, Fabien Galthié, Dan Carter, Bryan Habana and Keith Wood - they have all been worthy recipients of the award.

"Richie McCaw could become the first player to receive the accolade twice."

The nominees were selected by the IRB Awards independent panel of judges, comprising former internationals with over 500 Test caps between them.

Will Greenwood, Gavin Hastings, Raphaël Ibanez, Francois Pienaar, Agustin Pichot, Scott Quinnell, Tana Umaga, Paul Wallace and convenor John Eales watched over 60 hours of action from 46 matches, awarding points to the three players they thought stood out in each match.

"Now that the shortlist has been selected, the panel will reconvene at the completion of the November Tests when the IRB Player of the Year will be selected.

"The announcement will be made at the conclusion of the final weekend of matches," added Lapasset.

The Player of the Year award is the sixth of the 13 coveted IRB Awards in association with Emirates Airline to be presented in 2009.

In May, England captain Ollie Phillips was named IRB Sevens Player of the Year, while New Zealand captain Aaron Cruden was named IRB Junior Player of the Year in June.

Australia's Debby Hodgkinson was named IRB Women's Personality of the Year in August and L'Aquila Rugby Club received the Spirit of Rugby Award in September.

This month, Francis Palmade received the IRB Referee Award for Distinguished Service.

In a new format for the IRB Awards, the winners have been named throughout the year, culminating in the announcement of the prestigious IRB Player, Coach and Team of the Year later this month.

Previous Winners:

2001 - Keith Wood
2002 - Fabien Galthié
2003 - Jonny Wilkinson
2004 - Schalk Burger
2005 - Dan Carter
2006 - Richie McCaw
2007 - Bryan Habanna
2008 - Shane Williams[/b]

Latest posts