• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2012 IRB Junior World Championship

I had completely forgotten that North still qualifies...
Incredible.

He'd dominate all at this level. Wales need him in Aus though.

Wales should be much improved from the 6 nations. There's a number of players who should be back, depending on who goes to Aus with the full team. I can see Matthew Morgan and Prydie definitely being there, but Harry Robinson might find himself down under.

no names I know in the NZ side though I dont have rugby channel so don't see the school rugby. Still it's unusual not to see some names I know in the squad, norally always a couple of big names in the squad and Cane and Perrinara would have done that.

But it's been a crazy talent factory for NZ rugby, surely some of those guys will end up being future household names.

no names I know in the NZ side though I dont have rugby channel so don't see the school rugby. Still it's unusual not to see some names I know in the squad, norally always a couple of big names in the squad and Cane and Perrinara would have done that.

But it's been a crazy talent factory for NZ rugby, surely some of those guys will end up being future household names.

I think it's with the RWC finished and young guys getting chances to show their worth in S15 rugby.

We would have seen Johan Goosen run out for the junior Bokke but he got injured and is out for 4 months over the weekend after hurting his shoulder scoring a try. Now the only name I know is Steven Kitshoff (Stormers loosehead).

You'll know a few more by the end, not like South Africa is short of talent unfortunately!

I think it's with the RWC finished and young guys getting chances to show their worth in S15 rugby.

We would have seen Johan Goosen run out for the junior Bokke but he got injured and is out for 4 months over the weekend after hurting his shoulder scoring a try. Now the only name I know is Steven Kitshoff (Stormers loosehead).

This

You'll know a few more by the end, not like South Africa is short of talent unfortunately!

Along with this is what makes SA such a powerhouse and keeps evolving... There's this sense of new hope in SA Rugby with all our structures slowly coming together to show off our class... We get schoolboys joining the Varsity Cup then Vodacom Cup, then Currie Cup and lastly Super 15...

I see it as a big positive that I don't know as many guys in that Junior Squad as in the past...

Wales Junior World Championship squad:

Forwards: Rob Evans (Scarlets), Gareth Thomas (Scarlets), Kirby Myhill (Scarlets), Jamie Sollis (Dragons), Darran Harris (Blues), WillGriff John (Blues), Samson Lee (Scarlets), Cory Hill (capt, Blues), Matthew Screech (Blues), Rhodri Hughes (Ospreys), Ieuan Jones (Dragons), Ellis Jenkins (Blues), Daniel Thomas (Scarlets), Luke Hamilton (Blues), Dan Baker (Ospreys)
Backs: Jonathan Evans (Dragons), Tom Habberfield (Ospreys), Sam Davies (Ospreys), Matthew Morgan (Ospreys), Owen Williams (Scarlets), Jack Dixon (Dragons), Thomas Pascoe (Blues), Iolo Evans (Scarlets), Luke Morgan (Ospreys), Harry Robinson (Blues), Eli Walker (Ospreys), Tom Prydie (London Wasps), Ross Jones (Ospreys)

It's weird to see Tom Prydie in there, considering he was capped (and scored) for the senior side 2 years ago.
Also that George North still qualified :huh:

Wales and their weird super children.

Gutted to see that Luke Williams missed out. But then when you call in the likes of Harry Robinson and Prydie you are going to get people who miss out.

Gutted to see that Luke Williams missed out. But then when you call in the likes of Harry Robinson and Prydie you are going to get people who miss out.
I'd rather see him in than Eli Walker and Iolo Evans. They must be two of the most uninspiring wings in the JWC.

I'd rather see him in than Eli Walker and Iolo Evans. They must be two of the most uninspiring wings in the JWC.

what's wrong with Walker?

yes I think he's quite poor at the moment, but he's only just started his career, he doesn't get involved enough in games and his handling is suspect

but I've seen one moment of brilliance against Ulster by him where he scored a great individual try

so because of that he should be allowed a little more time

Wales Junior World Championship squad:

Forwards: Rob Evans (Scarlets), Gareth Thomas (Scarlets), Kirby Myhill (Scarlets), Jamie Sollis (Dragons), Darran Harris (Blues), WillGriff John (Blues), Samson Lee (Scarlets), Cory Hill (capt, Blues), Matthew Screech (Blues), Rhodri Hughes (Ospreys), Ieuan Jones (Dragons), Ellis Jenkins (Blues), Daniel Thomas (Scarlets), Luke Hamilton (Blues), Dan Baker (Ospreys)
Backs: Jonathan Evans (Dragons), Tom Habberfield (Ospreys), Sam Davies (Ospreys), Matthew Morgan (Ospreys), Owen Williams (Scarlets), Jack Dixon (Dragons), Thomas Pascoe (Blues), Iolo Evans (Scarlets), Luke Morgan (Ospreys), Harry Robinson (Blues), Eli Walker (Ospreys), Tom Prydie (London Wasps), Ross Jones (Ospreys)

Didn't realise Alfie still qualified:p
Damn, why's Sam Davies still there, surely someone like Jordan Williams(or anyone really) is better than him.:mad:

That's a decent looking squad tbh. Some great potential there, with some decent experience well spread throughout the squad. I'm going to look out for the likes of Myhill, WillGriff John, Cory Hill, Matthew Screech, Luke Hamilton, Matthew Morgan, Owen Williams, Harry Robinson, Eli Walker, Tom Prydie and Ross Jones.

I don't agree with Draggs' comment about Eli Walker. He struggled a little with the step-up with the Ospreys, but he was excellent in his last stint in the U20's, where he was a very consistent player. I'm still hoping to see him come good.

Doesn't look like Harry Robinson will be involved with the senior squad then?

I was hugely impressed with the performance of Ross Jones for the Ospreys against the Dragons. He seemed like quite a complete fullback who was rock solid under the high ball and dangerous in attack.

Ross Jones does look good (as does Hallam Amos). John is a big lad but has issues scrummaging.
I wonder where Owen Williams will be used. He was the Llanelli 10 along with Diggy Bird for most of the season but since the U20 Six Nations, has been used at 12.

Walker isn't bad, I just am not sure if he will be able to step up. Same with Iolo Evans. Luke Morgan has been lethal for Bridgend and looked one of the decent players in an awful U20 backline.

That's a decent looking squad tbh. Some great potential there, with some decent experience well spread throughout the squad. I'm going to look out for the likes of Myhill, WillGriff John, Cory Hill, Matthew Screech, Luke Hamilton, Matthew Morgan, Owen Williams, Harry Robinson, Eli Walker, Tom Prydie and Ross Jones.

I don't agree with Draggs' comment about Eli Walker. He struggled a little with the step-up with the Ospreys, but he was excellent in his last stint in the U20's, where he was a very consistent player. I'm still hoping to see him come good.

Doesn't look like Harry Robinson will be involved with the senior squad then?

I was hugely impressed with the performance of Ross Jones for the Ospreys against the Dragons. He seemed like quite a complete fullback who was rock solid under the high ball and dangerous in attack.

"hugely impressed" is a bit of an overstatement

I didn't see anything he did in attack in that match, although he was okay under the high ball

"hugely impressed" is a bit of an overstatement

I didn't see anything he did in attack in that match, although he was okay under the high ball

Maybe. I thought he looked better than Fussell there though. And considering it was one of his first starts for the region (at Pro12 level), then I was quite impressed.

Does anyone know when the England squad will be announced?
I think the EPS squad for the SA tour is being announced some time next week, not sure if this will be before that though?

Not a clue Olyy; although given the already discussed intentions, I'd expect the two squads to be named fairly close together.

Pita Ahki is probably the most experienced member of the NZ U20 squad. He got a fair bit of game time for North Harbour in the ITM Cup. He played 13 for Tonga U20 last year (he was their captain) but he mainly played at 12 for North Harbour.

Scott Eade has also played a bit of ITM rugby for Southland. I think he is probably a first-five similar to Cruden but I haven't really seen much of him playing.

Joe Latta (lock) and Martin McKenzie (wing?) have also had a bit of game time (for Wellington and Southland, respectively) while Ihaia West (first-five) made the bench for Hawkes Bay but never made it onto the field.

Apart from those guys, players to watch:
Ope Peleseuma - If I remember correctly, he was one of the better performers against the Aussie Schools team. Plays 12 but can also play 10.

Ofa Tuungafasi - Played for Tonga U20 last year at tighthead prop. He was offered scholarships by the top rugby schools in Auckland but he chose to stay with his school in a lower division. He isn't the biggest of props but he is a very good player, nonetheless.

England:

Forwards

Dom Barrow (Leeds Carnegie)
Koree Britton (Gloucester Rugby)*
Jack Clifford (Harlequins)
Luke Cowan-Dickie (Exeter Chiefs)
Max Crumpton (Saracens)
Ross Harrison (Sale Sharks)
Alec Hepburn (London Wasps)
Matt Kvesic (Worcester Warriors)*
George Merrick (Harlequins)
Nathan Morris (London Wasps)
Ben Nutley (Northampton Saints)
Kyle Sinckler (Harlequins)
David Sisi (London Irish)
Sam Twomey (Harlequins)*
Chris Walker (Leeds Carnegie)

Backs

Will Addison (Sale Sharks)
Josh Bassett (Bedford Blues)
Tommy Bell (Sale Sharks)
Jamie Elliott (Northampton Saints)
Tom Heathcote (Bath Rugby)
Sam Hill (Exeter Chiefs)
Ryan Mills (Gloucester Rugby)*
Ben Ransom (Saracens)*
Dan Robson (Gloucester Rugby)*
Henry Slade (Exeter Chiefs)
Ben Spencer (Saracens)
Charlie Walker (Harlequins)
Marland Yarde (London Irish)*

Looks like Peat was right about Ford.

Fitting I guess that Quins would have the highest representation.

Latest posts