TRF_Cymro

Cymro The White
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Wales
Club or Nation
Barbarians
Aviva_Stadium-2_1691254i.jpg

Dublin is in line for a major economic boost next year when the Irish capital becomes the epicentre of European club rugby with the staging of both the Heineken Cup and Amlin Challenge Cup finals in May 2013. Tournament organisers, ERC, announced today (14 May, 2012) that the RDS will be the venue for the Amlin Challenge Cup final on Friday, 17 May, 2013 with the Heineken Cup showpiece going ahead the following day at the Aviva Stadium.
Research following the Cardiff 2011 finals showed that the economic impact to the Welsh capital from the 83,000 fans who attended the games amounted to â'¬30 million (euro).

Speaking at the event today Leo Varadkar, Minister for Transport, Tourism and Sport said: “I am delighted to be here today and I’m really looking forward to Dublin being transformed into the European Capital of Rugby next year. Only last week we officially launched the Gathering Ireland 2013, which encourages everyone with an Irish connection to return home next year. I believe next year’s Heineken Cup and Amlin Challenge Cup Final will provide a real festival feel during The Gathering, and will be a great addition to our events calendar for The Gathering for next year.â€

The research also demonstrated that over 84% of fans who attended the finals were from outside Wales with 61% staying at least one night in the host city, while those who attended both finals stayed even longer.

With both 2013 finals being played in close proximity, up to 70,000 supporters will have the opportunity to visit the city and savour what has become an unmissable weekend festival of European club rugby.

Starting with the Amlin Challenge Cup decider, taking in the European Champions Village, and climaxing with the final of the Heineken Cup which is widely regarded as the world’s most competitive club rugby tournament, Dublin will offer fans a special sporting experience in the space of a weekend.
2013 will be the third occasion that the Heineken Cup final has been staged in Dublin, and with Leinster Rugby and Ulster Rugby meeting in Saturday’s historic showdown at Twickenham Stadium, there is certain to be an Irish name on the trophy when the final returns to the capital in 12 months.
Next year will be the first time that Dublin has hosted the Amlin Challenge Cup final. The tournament which features clubs from up to eight European countries could see an Irish involvement in the knockout stages as every season three Heineken Cup clubs qualify for the Amlin Challenge Cup quarter-finals.

“The decision of the ERC Board to stage both the Heineken Cup and the Amlin Challenge Cup finals in Dublin reflects the hugely positive impact Irish clubs and fans have had on European club rugby,†said ERC Chief Executive, Derek McGrath.
“ERC has already begun working with Fáilte Ireland, the IRFU and our local partners to ensure that the ten thousands of supports who will visit the city will enjoy a hugely positive experience of everything Dublin has to offer.â€

ERC, with the support of Fáilte Ireland, has further incentivised loyal fans of European club rugby by offering a special value ‘Dublin 2013 Golden Ticket’ package for next year’s finals weekend which includes admission to both the Heineken Cup and Amlin Challenge Cup finals as well as a one-day Dublin Pass which gives the user free access to over 30 tourist attractions in the capital.

Speaking at the event Keith McCormack, Head of Events at Fáilte Ireland, said: “As the national tourism authority we are delighted to be working with ERC to ensure that Dublin takes full advantage of this promotional opportunity and we will be doing everything we can to encourage more people to not only come for the rugby but to spend a few days discovering all that the city has to offer.â€

A total of 5,000 of the tickets, which are on offer at â'¬75 (Category 2 seats) and â'¬99 (Category 1 seats), will be available to previous Heineken Cup final early purchases this afternoon.

The public allocation for both 2013 finals will go on sale on Monday, 21 May at 12.00 noon with full details on www.ercrugby.com

2013 ERC Finals

Friday, 17 May 2013: Amlin Challenge Cup final, RDS, Dublin

Saturday, 18 May 2013: Heineken Cup final, Aviva Stadium, Dublin

European club rugby finals notes

• Dublin 2013 will be the first Amlin Challenge Cup final played in Ireland, and the third Heineken Cup final.
  • The Amlin Challenge Cup features 20 clubs from six countries with three Heineken Cup clubs qualifying for the knock-out stages.
  • The 2012 Heineken Cup final will be broadcast on TV in over 100 countries worldwide.
  • The two Twickenham 2012 finals are single nation affairs â€" Irish clubs Leinster Rugby and Ulster Rugby contesting the 17th​ Heineken Cup final and French clubs Biarritz Olympique and Toulon, the Amlin Challenge Cup.
  • Irish clubs have featured in eight of the 17 Heineken Cup finals to date.

ERC Media

"only last week we officially launched the Gathering Ireland 2013, which encourages everyone with an Irish connection to return home next year"

What a ****ing **** idea...If they mean to bring back emigrants in this economic climate then we really have a crowd of monkeys at the helm.

But were we not always European Rugby Capital? ;) **SmugLeinsterface**

It would figure that I'll be out of the country for this. -_-

so the ERC decline ever staging the final in Italy on the basis that Stadio Flaminio isn't big enough for the size of the event, and now as the tournament progresses to selling out 80,000 for the final they give it to a 50,000 stadium when Italy now have a 70,000 stadium

also I don't think the Amlin Challenge Cup final is big enough yet to be held outside one of the countries competing, I can't imagine the Stoop will be sold out for Toulon vs Biarritz, whilst in 2010 Cardiff Blues vs Toulon was played in front of nearly 49,000

psychic duck said:
so the ERC decline ever staging the final in Italy on the basis that Stadio Flaminio isn't big enough for the size of the event, and now as the tournament progresses to selling out 80,000 for the final they give it to a 50,000 stadium when Italy now have a 70,000 stadium

While Italy should get a final soon enough, Ireland hasn't had one in ages. Considering that 5 of the past 7 winners will have come from here. I'd say we're due.

10 years is a fair wait to be fair, just a shame they didn't redevelop Lansdowne Road a bit bigger than 50,000, as Croke Park proved there is enough interest in rugby for a bigger ground than that

10 years is a fair wait to be fair, just a shame they didn't redevelop Lansdowne Road a bit bigger than 50,000, as Croke Park proved there is enough interest in rugby for a bigger ground than that

Easily. But the story of the Landsdowne redevelopment is long, tedious and pretty typical of the Irish property/construction sector over the last 10 years, so I'd rather not go into it.

Easily. But the story of the Landsdowne redevelopment is long, tedious and pretty typical of the Irish property/construction sector over the last 10 years, so I'd rather not go into it.

I'll summarize it in sooth.

They were ****ing idiots.

Clearly Rugby is on the rise in Ireland , more people now than ever before are playing at mini's youth and senior level.

So they build a tiny national stadium that's flash on the outside cosy on the inside but too small to be of any use to anyone wanting to go places...Much like a Lotus Elise.

also I don't think the Amlin Challenge Cup final is big enough yet to be held outside one of the countries competing, I can't imagine the Stoop will be sold out for Toulon vs Biarritz, whilst in 2010 Cardiff Blues vs Toulon was played in front of nearly 49,000

The Heineken Cup is big enough to draw a (near) full stadium where ever the final is hosted regardless of the teams that play. The Amlin Challenge Cup isn't. I don't like this whole combined hosting. The Amlin Challenge Cup final should be played in the country of the highest placed finalist. Perhaps on a neutral ground though, like the Heineken semis.

Oh and Italy should definitely get a Heineken Cup final. I even believe that cities like Barcelona, Brussels and Amsterdam could host sold out Heineken Cup finals, given their proximity to both the UK and France.

Latest posts