• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2013 Junior World Championship

Now, I forgot these matches were on but...

I'm thinking of some of the gos I've heard and it must have been absolutely appalling.

I tuned in for the end, heard them say nice things about John Donnan - how did he, Scholes and Joyce go?

Scholes was brilliant in the first half didn't see too much action in the second. Joyce was busy and good enough. Donnan was grand but didn't really notice him too much.

Very average from France. Only player that I thought looked good was the little winger. Teddy Thomas overrated.

Last edited:
****, had no idea this thing was happening ! Going down the channels and I see France England, I'm like wtf ?!..
The level kind of sucks, well of that game at least...can't really watch a full game of it...England won I think ?

* Why are the English youngsters so good usually (looking at this tournament's historical record, and U20 6N) ?
* And why doesn't the standard England team dominate proportionally ??..

I've notions popping into my head, but I'd like a firm, concrete response to that please.

****, had no idea this thing was happening ! Going down the channels and I see France England, I'm like wtf ?!..
The level kind of sucks, well of that game at least...can't really watch a full game of it...England won I think ?

* Why are the English youngsters so good usually (looking at this tournament's historical record, and U20 6N) ?

I've notions popping into my head, but I'd like a firm, concrete response to that please.

England have a wider base than other countries which impacts more at underage level.

They also have players in a more professional set up earlier so their players are more physically developed making it a lot easier for them.

NZ and SA have their own U20 comps locally and are probably satisfied with that. Because no one wants to pay for the travel costs involved in an international competition of this sort. Any U20 tour of the region will be funded privately, not by the union involved. Sad isn't it? Hopefully someone wakes up soon though because we're falling behind you guys in the NH.

South Africa also has had a tour to Argentina for the last 3 years.

Too thick to work this out are you? Pretty simple really.

Well I threw a blind round the back pass yesterday and it resulted in a try...

Anyway it's a win not bad, also not reallt an upset Oz weren't great.

What is it with the front row union and thinking they're all secretly ball playing maestros?

Basically, our youngsters hit professionalism earlier. They hit full time training earlier, they hit weights earlier, most crucially they start racking up pro experience earlier. They're rarely bigger in terms of physical mass, but they'll be better conditioned. Our superior population pool also has a bigger effect at this age level, as other sides are more likely to end up relying on players who aren't up to it to fill the ranks.

Of course, by the time you hit international rugby, there's a bigger pool and less 'not good enough' players. Player movement fills up a lot of gaps. Other nations catch up in terms of professionalism - they are equally strong, quick and fit.

Something else to bear in mind is that England changed the academy system radically about, oh, 10 or so years ago now. Maybe a bit longer. Right now the oldest players who came through it are about 27 or so. Notice how few players England have who are older than that. Every year, more and more of the new output take over the team and get closer to their peak, and every year England get better. So there is also the added fact that right now, and even more so in recent years, the age grade are benefitting from superior coaching than many senior squad members received as kids. I'm hoping there will be a narrower gap in terms of performance between the two as the academy graduates completely take over the team... about four years time I'd say.

That winger is fast.

Leavy playing very well but shouldn't have attempted the offload.

Ireland were offloading all through the game. Leavys offload was just a fraction away from McGraths fingertips. It was an unlucky try to concede thats all. Credit too to the Aussie winger who had a lot to do.

NZ and SA have their own U20 comps locally and are probably satisfied with that. Because no one wants to pay for the travel costs involved in an international competition of this sort. Any U20 tour of the region will be funded privately, not by the union involved. Sad isn't it? Hopefully someone wakes up soon though because we're falling behind you guys in the NH.

I thought Ireland had the classier players on show. The 6 nations must have helped but remember it was early on this year and played in wet, windy and mucky conditions.

dammit, only put the Boks by 66 on SuperBru - fail...
That no7 is huge, looks like a lock

85-0 and USA is lucky at that. The referee is letting infringe at the break down in sympathy. They are lying all over the ball not rolling away at just about every breakdown and still they cant slow them down

So we won 97-0! But what the hell happened at the end? The ref stopped the game with 4 minutes left on the clock?

Could have been a 100 pointer but ref stopped it 2 and a half minutes short
The substitutes 21 and 22, Swanepoel and Kriel looks even better than the starters but let's wait for decent opposition

A good warm up but now for the action to start in earnest. Organizers shouldn't have stopped the game short of time; sure a 100+ pointer looks bad but if SA lose out on points difference... shouldn't happen but if..

A good warm up but now for the action to start in earnest. Organizers shouldn't have stopped the game short of time; sure a 100+ pointer looks bad but if SA lose out on points difference... shouldn't happen but if..

In a pool where points are a factor, Points differential plays a major factor. As much as I feel sorry for the Yanks, they can't stop a game early. If this comes back to bite us, which I highly doubt, who will take the blame?

In a pool where points are a factor, Points differential plays a major factor. As much as I feel sorry for the Yanks, they can't stop a game early. If this comes back to bite us, which I highly doubt, who will take the blame?

I know. I liked the look of 12Pollard 13Swanepoel at the end with Pollards crisp service and Swanepoel's pace a dangerous weapon complemented by extra pace out wide.

I know. I liked the look of 12Pollard 13Swanepoel at the end with Pollards crisp service and Swanepoel's pace a dangerous weapon complemented by extra pace out wide.

We have some serious pace! In the second half our forwards couldn't keep up with the backs. Which resulted in the yanks getting more ball.

Pollard was pure class. That hands and some of his long passes was just amazing.

What impressed me was Senatla's 7's skills of joining up with the team if he gets cornered. When he saw the yanks getting him close to the touch line, we would cut back and give the ball back to the forwards.

What is it with the front row union and thinking they're all secretly ball playing maestros?

I actually did it couldn't believe it but I did. Was playing touch rugby and one of our guys threw a skip pass out to me. Had two guys on me about 3 out from the line, was never getting in. The ball dropped out of the air and I was a bit blinded by the sun but I saw another of our players looping around me. With the way I caught it I only had one option of getting it to him without being slapped down; so I went for it.

I will now ignore the intercept I threw and the constant forgetting to place the ball on the mark or to initiate the touch and decide after my first ever time that I'm God's gift to touch rugby.

Latest posts