• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2013 Premiership] Round 1

Farrell looked very good TBH - very aggressive and effective in defence, good tactical and goal kicking, no errors (from what I can remember).
Sarries impressed me, they looked much the same as before, but with a little more power and a bit more confidence/competence in attack.
If they can do for Billy what they did for Mako, then I expect him to really push Morgan for his starting place. Billy with Mako's hands and workrate would be mightily useful.
As I said before, I think Tomkins might be able to justify his England selection this season, he looked far more relaxed than before and crucially he made the right decisions at the breakdown and was effective in his execution.
Especially with JJ falling off like he has and Daly out injured, he could find himself as England's second choice OC!

Wasps defence was extremely good, with their first choice centres they should be able to create a lot more space for Wade and Varndell.
Mullan's scrummaging is a worry though.
Joe Marler is definitely looking significantly bigger now.
Agree that Quins just don't look anywhere near as threatening as they have done.

EQP team based on first round form:

1. Mako Vunipola
2. Jaimie George
3. Davey Wilson
4. Joe Launchbury
5. Dave Attwood
6. Matt Garvey
7. Sam Jones
8. Billy Vunipola
9. Danny Care
10. Owen Farrell
11. Christian Wade
12. Brad Barritt
13. Joel Tomkins
14. Marland Yarde
15. Anthony Watson/Topsy Ojo

Only picked people from the televised matches.

Last edited:
Thought that Varndell looked better than Wade. Kieran Brookes by all accounts had a very good game - Jamie George certainly did, probably better than Tom Youngs. Thought Lowe and Allen had tidy games at 13. Haven't seen the Northampton game, but one EQP XV I saw elsewhere had Corbs, Wood, Myler and Burrell all in it.

I also thought Guy Thompson looked useful.

Thought that Varndell looked better than Wade. Kieran Brookes by all accounts had a very good game - Jamie George certainly did, probably better than Tom Youngs. Thought Lowe and Allen had tidy games at 13. Haven't seen the Northampton game, but one EQP XV I saw elsewhere had Corbs, Wood, Myler and Burrell all in it.

I also thought Guy Thompson looked useful.

Myler did have a good game but i don't really think he is international standard.

Wood had a good game as always he would always be my star 6 pick!

As for Burrell he is much better than barritt at 12 and is continuing to develop. He could well find himself in contention for the 12 shirt as i think it's only him behind 12trees/ Barritt at the moment.

Also anyone know anything about that other saints player, George North? He looked good, anyone notice him? Anyone? What a brilliant signing!

I think Varndell just got given the ball in space more often (still only 2-3 times, mind) Wade looked to try and create things from what I remember, not a whole lot between them though.
Kieran Brookes was awesome, wouldn't argue a whole lot if someone picked him.
I completely forgot about Jaimie George, and have since rectified that, he certainly was the standout.
Sarries fans have rated him for a while now I think, let's hope he can kick on from here.
Webber was very good, except his throwing went awry after about the 8th lineout.

Lowe and Allen did play well. Tomkins' offload was important in creating space for Mako's try, and he also forced a turnover in Irish's 22 which led to a try a few phases later I think.
All three were solid though.

I'm about to watch the Saints game through now, but from the highlights Burrell looked great.

As for Burrell he is much better than barritt at 12 and is continuing to develop. He could well find himself in contention for the 12 shirt as i think it's only him behind 12trees/ Barritt at the moment.

Eastmond.

Luther seems to have been working on his distribution, which I would think is probably a reaction to Lancaster's warming to Kyle and 36.
If he can pass like that consistently then he certainly is in with a chance

Last edited:
I'm still waiting for them to stick up Sale/Glaws, I was a lot less surprised by it than some, but would still love to see how it was done.

Cole got off with a 0 week ban for the "biting" incident, no case to answer to apparently.

Whether it is right/wrong, I do wonder if this had been a player from a lesser team/non international whether they would have got away with it. The "fingers in mouth" excuse didn't stop Hartley getting an 8 week ban.

If say a player from Worcester or Sale had "bitten" a Leicester player, would they have "no case to answer"?

Open and shut case. As far as I can tell, no-one (not even Mieres) complained to the ref, let alone formally.

After watching the two un-broadcasted games (albeit not that attentively):

- Saints look very comfortable with ball in hand - Dickinson could be a genius signing.
I wasn't watching closely enough to gleam any more than that.

- Sale are capable of righting the wrongs of last season. Should aim for top 6.
- Bit of a dodgy team performance from Gloucester - just never really turned up. Too early to judge their season's prospects.

Last edited:
Cole got off with a 0 week ban for the "biting" incident, no case to answer to apparently.

Whether it is right/wrong, I do wonder if this had been a player from a lesser team/non international whether they would have got away with it. The "fingers in mouth" excuse didn't stop Hartley getting an 8 week ban.

If say a player from Worcester or Sale had "bitten" a Leicester player, would they have "no case to answer"?

Absolute bull****.

Ferris was proven to have had his fingers in Hartley's mouth and there was no blood/Ferris lied - Hartley gets 8 weeks despite the fishhooking apparently having been seen to be mitigating.

Cole does draw blood by biting the finger in his mouth - nothing doing.

Incidentally I think if you shove your fingers into another player's mouth then you probably deserve everything you get, but where is the consistency?

Have to say - without having seen the game - I feel Glaws' backline is a little on the raw and small side, and a lot of their front five seem to be in the wrong stage of their careers to be competing at the very top. It is very difficult to tell how these guys do, they have the potential to do really well or to nosedive slightly.

I'll admit to not thinking Sale's pack were the ones to beat them though...

Okay, I did this for Newcastle-Bath. I've finally gotten around to Glos-Sale, and wanted to put up some thoughts, mainly concentrated at Glos this time:

Gloucester:

The front row was fupping terrible:

1. Wood's yellow was harsh, as his collapse came from Thomas binding on the arm, and then changing to an underarm bind. But Thomas had been doing this all game and if the ref wasn't going to help in this regard, Wood had to wise up. Failing to match a 21 year old tighthead with a reputation for being weak in the scrum isn't good enough for a team aiming for top 4.

2. Dawidiuk's throwing into the lineout was terrible. Britton (didn't play) also has weak darts, whereas George may not be the standard required for top 4. I'm a fan of Edmonds in relation to the other hookers we have. Best in the loose and the set piece.

3. Harden spent a lot of time going backwards in the scrum. If he can't handle a loosehead that normally plays tighthead, and a 20 year old loosehead, then he's in for a bad time against Gill and Vunipola next week. Yann Thomas is still transitioning and needs time/patience. Knight, please come back soon.

Some stats: Wood and Harden had a combined 0 tackles, 3 missed tackles, 8 meters made on 7 carries, a yellow card and 2 penalties conceded. No

Second row:

4. Savage is probably the best tight carrier in the team, and I'd like to see him take on more of this. Okay, but nothing special, this game.

5. Not convinced by Lokotui at all. He made one tackle (not nearly enough for a lock) and wasn't very effective with his carrying

The back row was unbalanced:

6/8. Let this game be a good example of why Kalamafoni and Morgan don't necessarily work well together. Both players, while quite different athletically, thrive on being the go-to ball carrier. Morgan had his worst game in a Glos shirt so far imo, mostly because Kalamafoni was doing all the work Morgan should have been. It's like having two chefs: one in the comfort zone of making lovely food, the other entirely wasted on waiting on tables, something they're not used to. In the mean time, not starting Qera is mental. The guy brings an entirely different skill set and is imo within the top 5 flankers in the league (for what it's worth, Salvi, Flouw, Qera, Robshaw and Wood), and he made a big impact once he'd come on.

7. Kvesic was the only player in the starting pack who I thought stood out. Made at least one good steal, but was very disruptive otherwise, and made a few good carries.

Overall pack performance, 3/10

Backline

9. Robson was dire. I hope it's such overconfidence reaching too far and not second season syndrome, but Knoyle with Cowan on the bench next game please.

10. Burns was also dire. It became clear early on that kicking to the corners wasn't going to work without a pack to challenge the lineout. And the majority of in-field kicking was aimless, just one or two kicks being contested. Most of these kicks were also in the middle of the field. He should have gone wide and have Sharples or JSD contest the ball. He miss-passed Twelvetrees on nearly every move, and that killed the numbers wide. And why would you miss-pass one of the best distributing centres in the country? Another problem is that he seemed to try and force the game on first phase play. There were times when he just had to hit Twelvetrees and loop around for the next play, but instead tried a kick that didn't work.

This performance shouldn't mean too much in isolation. But having watched half of the Sarries game (about to watch the rest), and the performance Farrell put in, Burns is going to have to step it up fast if he wants to play anything more than a bit part role in the autumn.

11. JSD had a quiet game. Criminally underused.

12. Twelvetrees had a mixed game. On the one hand, his physicality was imposing. On the other, a yellow card

13. Trinder was the best Glos player on the field. His running lines are seriously good, and follows on from reports that he's really stepped up this season in pre-season. The unpredictability with which he runs his lines, his acceleration (which led to the only try), and he beat 6 defenders. Hopefully he'll keep it up.

14. Sharples had a decent game. Made some good ground on his carries, but needs to support breaks better.

15. Just behind Trinder in the player ratings for Glos, and the other positive of the night, is Cook. Disappointing charge down, but other than that his kicking and positioning was spotless, 133 meters made with his runs, and made some good lines. It's up to JSD and Sharples to read his and Trinder's lines better.

On the replacement front, Knoyle was game-changingly good.

Backs 4/10

Comments:

I feel that Gloucester are looking at what is needed to be a top team, and are playing away from their strengths to try and match the big teams. They've tried the "professional approach" of pinging corners, up-and-unders, mix of tight and loose carrying, keeping the faith in the scrum, and quite simply, the pack isn't up to it. There have been a few games where Glos have found themselves behind with this approach, gotten desperate, and reverted back to their "attack from anywhere type", finding much better results. Glos may not win anything with this style, but nor should they play as bad as they did vs. Sale.

In terms of the set piece, everything is wonky. The scrum is worse, the lineout is worse, the maul is worse, the ruck zone is worse (too many turn overs), and the only area of comfort is that Kvesic is contesting, which is nice to see.

It's also time for a clear out in the squad this season. There are some clear areas of weakness in the squad, and a few positions where too much money is being spent. 2/3 of the players are up for contract renewal, I won't say who I think should leave, but I think people can read between the lines.

Some stats: Wood and Harden had a combined 0 tackles, 3 missed tackles, 8 meters made on 7 carries, a yellow card and 2 penalties conceded. No

E2Sy0Da.jpg

I was a lot happier when I saw Kvesic being an absolute pest at the breakdown.

the ruck zone is worse (too many turn overs)
Well it's to be expected when you're playing against the two best opensides in the premiership :p
Apparently Seymour and Braid made 15 turnovers between them in the game (not sure whether that's true or not - i'm just settling down to watch the game now!).

Also, just to nitpick, but Eifion Lewis-Roberts has focused on being a loosehead fulltime now that there's no need for utility props, with 23 man benches.

Well it's to be expected when you're playing against the two best opensides in the premiership :p
Apparently Seymour and Braid made 15 turnovers between them in the game (not sure whether that's true or not - i'm just settling down to watch the game now!).

Also, just to nitpick, but Eifion Lewis-Roberts has focused on being a loosehead fulltime now that there's no need for utility props, with 23 man benches.
Oh really? He certainly looks like a tighthead.

Thomas was handy in the ruck zone too. Majorly impressed by him, looking forward to see him up against a top loosehead. Breakthrough season, maybe? England really do need another tighthead.

He's just big boned you insensitive....! =P

He started out as a loose head who could play 3, transitioned to a tighthead who could play 1 (mainly due to Sheridan having the loosehead shirt at Sale) and then since his Toulon adventure has mainly played loosehead, with a bit of tighthead thrown in when there's been injuries - apparently loosehead is his preferred side, though.

Slightly off topic but it's great to see him scrummaging well again - last season he did his shoulder(? i think) in one of the opening rounds, and it was one of those ****ly ones where you don't need surgery asap just at some point, so he played on until Easter-ish, to not leave us in the lurch (Buckley and Thomas took it in turns being injured last year) and....wasn't great.

Last edited:
Some good discussion going on here.

Just my thoughts on Wasps as we were against Quins:

It's desperately frustrating as a Wasps fan to see us continuing to lose tight games for want of a better scrum. Yes, there are new changes in and it will take time for players to adapt. But you can certainly help yourself by bringing in experienced players.

Our 3 tight-heads are 22, 23 and 23 years of age. What's that about!? It's such an important position!

I was pleased in parts with our display but one thing irks me:

It's become such a wasps habit to score excellent early tries, sit on a lead most of the game, and then eventually lose that lead without time to get it back. Who is coaching that? We need to play to our strengths for the whole game, not just he first 10.

Entirely agree about Ben Jacobs - I wasn't a fan of his two years ago and I'm no more of a fan now. Other fans say he's in because of his experience - but I remember the disastrous st georges day game a few years back and he was one whose head just dropped and never came up again - isn't that exactly what experience is supposed to negate? Anyway, he had little to no impact.

Other negatives:
Matt Mullan was very poor - he gave away penalties and didn't holdthe scrum
Tom Lindsay awol - he's there for his loose impact, but that was nowhere to be seen. His lineout was fine, scrum not so great.
Simpson - to me, did not look dangerous and outshone by Care
Masi - some poor decision making - I'd rather have him at centre.

Positives:
Goode: Man of the match imo - people deride him for his figure but he really attacks the gain-line very well and as always his distribution was excellent. I think he'll make a great wasp.
Launchbury - busy and energetic, unlike the tail of last season!
Thompson - he showed what made him look so promising for Jersey - he burst onto one ball and broke the gain-line in the lead up to our first try. If he continues to do that he'll go far.
Ash - What a monster - great inmapct, breakdown work excellent for a 6/8.

Surprised you don't have Sam Jones on your positive list Henry.

Incidentally, I think these new scrummaging laws are possibly the death knell for Lindsay's career, particularly at Wasps. Being a very big hooker is now a bit of a liability again. Wasps will need to whip the ball out quick and go at regular occasions this season, it's not a bad scrum but its young and not top class - and I think that's about the best Wasps can afford right now - and Lindsay is probably not going to be the best for that.

Mullan should be fine with these laws. Body shape, body size, experience, he should be able to do a job at least, and I'm not going to jump to conclusions about him after one game at a new club.

I'm not jumping to conclusions about Lindsay either, not after one game, but then my hypothesis there is based more on the size of his body and the demands of the new laws.

J'Nuh - I know I'm slightly obsessed with the man, but how is Ashley Johnson not in your top 5 prem flankers?

Peat - I wasn't very thorough as you could tell by the fact that I missed Sam Jones out - he was excellent.

Re. Lindsay - I don't know about your hypothesis, it sounds good but who knows. What I do know is that I'd been thinking prior to this season that it's make or break season for Lindsay - he came through the academy as part of a group of very promising younsters, most of whom have pushed on for honours or at least cemented their starting places. Lindsay just has not progressed at the same rate (Jack Wallace was another who couldn't keep up the same rate of improvement after couple of strong seasons and has now left to play championship rugby). Rhys Thomas became a safer bet than Lindsay last season with stronger scrummaging and lineout. So yeah, without knowing how larger more powerful hookers will generally fare with these new rules, I'd certainly agree insofar as Lindsays career is at an important juncture.

Latest posts