• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2013 TRC] Australia vs. New Zealand in Sydney (17/08/2013)

Mckenzie's biggest mistake will be keeping Q cooper in the side. He should of just kept developing O,conner. Deans was a first five after all so i think he would know a bit more than Mckenzie about it.

Utter rubbish. O'Connor is not a flyhalf, no matter what anyone says. The closest position he should play is 12. Cooper came on when the game was effectively lost and tried to do something different. Australia missed 2 tries during the time he was on, one which was because of his inside ball to O'Connor. I thought Cooper played relatively well when he came on, considering what he was up against.

I put some good money on a draw but to no avail. It was looking close though.

You cant do silly errors against a world class side and the Wallies did a few crucial ones, the ABs did one to the Wallies couple. Thats what it came down to IMO.

It's weird hearing not straights being penalised. 1 or 2 went unnoticed but on the whole i like these new scrums. Especially the fact that the ball can actually come out the other side now if the hooker doesn't get it (which helped with one of the NZ tries). Brian Moore must have been very happy if he had been watching. Once players get used to the new scrums I think they will get it right far more often than with the old rules meaning more game time spent actually playing the game. Also it seems they are slightly easier to set up as well saving even more time.

Australia have some bloody fast runners (Ashley Cooper looked dangerous) but seem to lack the ability to finish. AB's just had poor discipline but look pretty strong when going forwards.

Mckenzie's biggest mistake will be keeping Q cooper in the side. He should of just kept developing O,conner. Deans was a first five after all so i think he would know a bit more than Mckenzie about it.

McKenzie's biggest mistake was to start the game with Jesse Mogg. He's too weak player, he couldn't stop Conrad Smith, very bad defending, he's just a good kicker but very light and very cowardly to defend.

Regards

It's weird hearing not straights being penalised. 1 or 2 went unnoticed but on the whole i like these new scrums. Especially the fact that the ball can actually come out the other side now if the hooker doesn't get it (which helped with one of the NZ tries). Brian Moore must have been very happy if he had been watching. Once players get used to the new scrums I think they will get it right far more often than with the old rules meaning more game time spent actually playing the game. Also it seems they are slightly easier to set up as well saving even more time.

Australia have some bloody fast runners (Ashley Cooper looked dangerous) but seem to lack the ability to finish. AB's just had poor discipline but look pretty strong when going forwards.

Yeah it was quite funny to see it and the bit of inconsistency at the start where Oz got penalised for a crooked feed and right after it Smith got away with it.

There was a really good string of scrums that were actually square and stationary in the middle 40 of that match.
I was welling up.

There was a consistent improvement in stability from the packs as the game wore on, until the subs came on.
This was very encouraging, at the moment they are all still learning how to control their movement on the engage, I think this will improve dramatically throughout the year.
I thought Joubert had a good game. As long as all the refs consistently improve their control of the scrums I will be happy for them to be relatively lenient for the time being.

The first half was awesome.

Last edited:
Utter rubbish. O'Connor is not a flyhalf, no matter what anyone says. The closest position he should play is 12. Cooper came on when the game was effectively lost and tried to do something different. Australia missed 2 tries during the time he was on, one which was because of his inside ball to O'Connor. I thought Cooper played relatively well when he came on, considering what he was up against.

I dont agree. O'conner is their best hope the rest dont have much potential at all. Cooper is a joke.

The problem is O'conner hasnt been properly developed. If he was in NZ and had the chance to play 10 and develop from a young age he would of been much better off than how he's been flung around the backline in Australia.

Im not saying he would be as good as carter or cruden but the guy deserved a proper chance, some of its his own doing though.

I dont agree. O'conner is their best hope the rest dont have much potential at all. Cooper is a joke.

The problem is O'conner hasnt been properly developed. If he was in NZ and had the chance to play 10 and develop from a young age he would of been much better off than how he's been flung around the backline in Australia.

Im not saying he would be as good as carter or cruden but the guy deserved a proper chance, some of its his own doing though.

Why is Cooper a joke? Back up your opinion with evidence. He was on of the best 10s in Australia this year with the Reds. He came on and actually tried stuff. O'Connor started off as a 12 with the Force with Giteau inside him and he flourished. He can't handle the pressure of 10, especially at International level.

Warning **** spelling and or grammar incoming

Well that wasn't what the Aussies may have been hoping for, definitely lots learnt from the game.

I'll start with the scrums maybe I wasn't paying attention but it looked as thought Aus got the majority of scrummaging penalties which is odd looks like the new laws may suit them.

Simmons was poor Horwill was pretty good IMO made a lots of good ground in the loose but not enough to make up for the lack of ball carrying ability in the backrow.

Lacked the ablity to get them over the gain line in the backrow which has been a problem for the Aussies without Higgs, MMM didn't do anything noticeable maybe the stats said other wise, Hooper was the pick of the 3 had a great 1st half but really fell off in the 2nd.

Genia was solid as usual the ball he was getting was low quality making hsi life harder.

Toomua did what everyone (or at least I did) expected nothing flash wasn't a great display but on a first cap it's a pass

Lele fano or whatever it was good the real play maker in the back line actually was one of the best Aussies out there

ACC was as consistant as he is ever made a good break just didn't have a man to give it to for the try.

The back 3, JOC had his best prefomace in a long time, he was constantly getting over the gainline in attack but was responsable for B.Smiths first try once he has more time there he should get back to his best. Folau looks so dangerous however he dosen't get involed in enough and his inate understanding isn;t there yet. Mogg was poor in fact one the worst on the pitch a huge number of erros not sure if he'll be back next week

And the AB's were the AB's good across the park.

I put some good money on a draw but to no avail. It was looking close though.

You cant do silly errors against a world class side and the Wallies did a few crucial ones, the ABs did one to the Wallies couple. Thats what it came down to IMO.

You and me both, I was expecting a game that all going well was going to be a 2 point win for the AB's, I am not really sure what to make of the outcome as I did not think the AB's looked all that good for long periods of the game yet the scoreline says other wise.

Why is Cooper a joke? Back up your opinion with evidence. He was on of the best 10s in Australia this year with the Reds. He came on and actually tried stuff. O'Connor started off as a 12 with the Force with Giteau inside him and he flourished. He can't handle the pressure of 10, especially at International level.

Mckenzie probably his biggest supporter didnt even have the balls to start him in this game? Pretty much says it all imo. And he didnt look any better than the first test novice that started the game!

Playing decent for the reds in super15 doesnt make you a test level first five the AB's have proven time and time again that Cooper is out of his depth at international level.

Deans was right you watch its only a matter of time until Cooper is ousted from the team again. If the AB's have any brains they should target Cooper if he starts the next game and fails it will leave Mckenzie with few options.

Mckenzie probably his biggest supporter didnt even have the balls to start him in this game? Pretty much says it all imo. And he didnt look any better than the first test novice that started the game!

You can be a supporter but not play them. Everyone knows what Cooper brings to a game but not what Toomua would bring. Both have been playing well this year but Toomua has been the better in all aspect of the game, which is why he started. Also how he linked with Leali'ifano and Mogg, who were part of the Aussie backline, seeing as they played together all year. How many Reds players (bar Genia) played in the backline - none.

Playing decent for the reds in super15 doesnt make you a test level first five the AB's have proven time and time again that Cooper is out of his depth at international level.

Cooper was a good fly-half prior to his serious injury.

Deans was right you watch its only a matter of time until Cooper is ousted from the team again. If the AB's have any brains they should target Cooper if he starts the next game and fails it will leave Mckenzie with few options.

Will have to wait and see on this one.

wish I was a betting man, said to my GF as soon as the game starts "I bet Ben Smith scores first" then when he scored I said I bet he'd get 3 :)

cooper coming on and stuffing up his first kickoff is pretty typical

some really good performances from some young AB's

Savea had a really good game
overall Aaron Smith was clearly better than Genia, seems like smith doesn't get to show how good he is enough with a stuttering Highlanders team. In the AB's you really do see his class and speed.
Luatua had a more than adequate showing for a first test

man how was McCaw, first start in like 8 months?
Conrad Smith had his best test in a very long time, made Mogg look like a total chimp with his try.

great to get a fantastic win like that, away bonus point win like this is a massive result for the start of the comp. To the point where all they should need to do now is win home games and pick up a couple of Bonus points.

Still a lot lot to work on but at least they are going in the right direction. The wallabies will have more questions than answers right now.

AB's need to work on lineouts and breakdowns. needless penalties kept the wallabies in the game for much longer than they should have. Accuracy has some improvement too but it was ok for a first test of the comp.

wish I was a betting man, said to my GF as soon as the game starts "I bet Ben Smith scores first" then when he scored I said I bet he'd get 3 :)

cooper coming on and stuffing up his first kickoff is pretty typical

some really good performances from some young AB's

Savea had a really good game
overall Aaron Smith was clearly better than Genia, seems like smith doesn't get to show how good he is enough with a stuttering Highlanders team. In the AB's you really do see his class and speed.
Luatua had a more than adequate showing for a first test

man how was McCaw, first start in like 8 months?
Conrad Smith had his best test in a very long time, made Mogg look like a total chimp with his try.

great to get a fantastic win like that, away bonus point win like this is a massive result for the start of the comp. To the point where all they should need to do now is win home games and pick up a couple of Bonus points.

Still a lot lot to work on but at least they are going in the right direction. The wallabies will have more questions than answers right now.

AB's need to work on lineouts and breakdowns. needless penalties kept the wallabies in the game for much longer than they should have. Accuracy has some improvement too but it was ok for a first test of the comp.

Couldn't have said it any better.

Wallabies just not looking anything like their 2008-09-10-11 form...
too many guys missing on that roster, it's just woeful..that squad looks a little thin.

SoS has gone out for the AB's

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/all-blacks/9058770/ABs-call-in-emergency-cover-for-rematch

Cruden obviously pulled up with something late, dont know how serious it is but hes a tough little bugger I kinda expect him to be ok.
Barrett also picked up a calf.

so Tom Taylor AND Colin Slade have been called in.

With Romano still to be properly assessed Luke Whitelock and Shields have been called in.. Interesting a lock gets injured and two loosies come in as cover.. pretty obvious to see that Luatua is seen as the main backup at lock. maybe with Williams, Boric and Clarke gone and Bird injured there is a bit of a lack in depth behind our impressive top 3 locks. Luke Whitelock and Luatua seen as better options than Thrush, sadly Donnelly seems like hes winding down his carrier at 31 doesn't seem to have the energy Thorn has at ~38. Shame for Tom after he basically saved the AB's in 2009 and was good again in 2010 if anything showing he was easily test capable even though he struggled for regular super rugby game time.

I know its a team game and all but Donnelly played 15 tests and the All Blacks won 14 of them, I think it does actually reflect how good he was in those games. He basically replaced Isaac Ross who played 8 tests of which the All Blacks lost 4.

Also interesting that it's shields and luke and not Vito. Kinda shows how out of favor Vito is. As classy a man and player Vito is he really has had a anonymous sort of season. The guy needs to go away and find the beast within and start playing like a school bully.

hard not to like the look of shields and Luke whitelock. Whitelock is actually starting to impress me. was impressive in super rugby when he got chances and ITM cup the other night he ran and tackled with a lot of energy, he's maybe a bit more accurate than shields who's has an impressive and effective straight running game but IMO misses too many tackles right now.

Seems like NZ again we seem to have an absolute truckload of talent at #6 been a very strong position for a long time in the same way #8 is a weakness with no clear backup for Read who is a converted #6 himself

Also interesting that jnr hookers will be coming in to train with the squad. Liam Coltman to start with.

As much as I admire what Hore and Mealamu have done I'm looking forward to a young hooker coming in. Mealamu does not seem as effective as he could be. Hore at least is still creating havoc at the breakdowns and mauls, he just loves them. Have high hopes for Coltman and Rhys Marshall but there is also Ben Funnell and Quentin McDonnald even think that right now James Parsons would be a better option than Mealamu. Hika Elliot would be a sure bet if he could resolve his lineout throwing issues. A few years ago he was the best lienout thrower in NZ but recently his standards have dropped. That said Hore and Mealamu's throwing isn't much better if at all - it's been a weakness for the AB's for some time. Still suprised that coles has not overtaken at least one of them with his performances against the french.

Last edited:

Latest posts