• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2015 RWC] Pool C: New Zealand vs. Namibia (24/09/2015)

TRF_heineken

RIP #J9
Staff member
TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
South Africa
vTRhZ65.png

New%20Zealand.png
Versus%20Telstra.png
Namibia.png

The Stadium, Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park, London (24/09/2015, 20:00)
Pool C, Round 2

Referee: Romain Poite
23px-Flag_of_France.svg.png

Teams

New Zealand: 15 Colin Slade, 14 Nehe Milner-Skudder, 13 Malakai Fekitoa, 12 Sonny Bill Williams, 11 Julian Savea, 10 Beauden Barrett, 9 TJ Perenara, 8 Victor Vito, 7 Sam Cane (captain), 6 Liam Messam, 5 Samuel Whitelock, 4 Luke Romano, 3 Charlie Faumuina, 2 Codie Taylor, 1 Ben Franks

Substitutes: 16 Keven Mealamu, 17 Wyatt Crockett, 18 Tony Woodcock, 19 Kieran Read, 20 Richie McCaw, 21 Tawera Kerr-Barlow, 22 Ma'a Nonu, 23 Ben Smith

Namibia: 1-Jaco Engels, 2-Torsten van Jaarsveld, 3-Johannes Coetzee, 4-Tjiuee Uanivi, 5-Pieter-Jan van Lill, 6-Jacques Burger (captain), 7-Tinus du Plessis, 8-Leneve Damens, 9-Eugene Jantjies, 10-Theuns Kotze, 11-Conrad Marais, 12-Johan Deysel, 13-JC Greyling, 14-David Philander, 15-Johan Tromp.

Replacements: 16-Louis van der Westhuizen, 17-Casper Viviers, 18-Raoul Larson, 19-Renaldo Bothma, 20-Janco Venter, 21-Rohan Kitshoff, 22-Eneill Buitendag, 23-Chrysander Botha.

Last edited:
It's a little way off but I've been thinking about this game with regards to choosing Fantasy Teams. I heard/read somewhere that the AB coaching staff wants to play their full strength side from the Georgia match on so this is the only chance (barring injury) that some of the AB squad gets to play. For that reason I suspect we will see something like:

1 B Franks
2 Taylor
3 C Faumuina
4 Romano
5 Kaino
6 Messam
7 Cane
8 Vtio
9 TJP
10 Barrett
11 Savea
12 SBW
13 Fekitoa
14 NMS
15 Slade

Reserves: Mealamu, Crockett, Franks, Whitelock, McCaw, TKB, Nonu, B Smith

Should be pretty exciting. I'm particularly looking forward to seeing Fekitoa get a full game.

I think I'm going to put a bet on Jaques Burger making at least 400 tackles in this match ? Anyone know the odds lol

It's a little way off but I've been thinking about this game with regards to choosing Fantasy Teams. I heard/read somewhere that the AB coaching staff wants to play their full strength side from the Georgia match on so this is the only chance (barring injury) that some of the AB squad gets to play. For that reason I suspect we will see something like:

1 B Franks
2 Taylor
3 C Faumuina
4 Romano
5 Kaino
6 Messam
7 Cane
8 Vtio
9 TJP
10 Barrett
11 Savea
12 SBW
13 Fekitoa
14 NMS
15 Slade

Reserves: Mealamu, Crockett, Franks, Whitelock, McCaw, TKB, Nonu, B Smith

Should be pretty exciting. I'm particularly looking forward to seeing Fekitoa get a full game.

I think that will be pretty much the exact run on side (the bench may differ); I'm wondering who will Captain, Messam?, Kaino?

I think that will be pretty much the exact run on side (the bench may differ); I'm wondering who will Captain, Messam?, Kaino?

yeah good question - they may even start Mealamu for 40min and have him Captain for the last time. Otherwise I'd go with Kaino only because I think Messam is last in line with the loosies now.

yeah good question - they may even start Mealamu for 40min and have him Captain for the last time. Otherwise I'd go with Kaino only because I think Messam is last in line with the loosies now.

Yeah, the Mealamu option could be a go: I'm not sure that who our number two hooker is anymore,so they may want to give him and Taylor decent game time

Yeah, the Mealamu option could be a go: I'm not sure that who our number two hooker is anymore,so they may want to give him and Taylor decent game time

I think Mealamu is still the number 2 - that's what I am hearing anyway. I'm not sure that will change during the cup either. They know exactly what they will get with him while Taylor is till very new. That's why I figure they'd give Taylor a run on against Namibia.

I think Mealamu is still the number 2 - that's what I am hearing anyway. I'm not sure that will change during the cup either. They know exactly what they will get with him while Taylor is till very new. That's why I figure they'd give Taylor a run on against Namibia.

Mealamu probably is still number 2, and is a safer option off the bench, in that he's proven under pressure ... Taylor is a more dynamic option now days though ... the prospect of Coles in open play against some of the bigger teams, to be replaced by Taylor who seems to play a similar style is an exciting prospect.

... Anyway, it should be good to see how the second side performs ... got to admit, I don't know a lot about Namibia on current form, but I'm guessing they might save their full strength side for some of the other games

Mealamu probably is still number 2, and is a safer option off the bench, in that he's proven under pressure ... Taylor is a more dynamic option now days though ... the prospect of Coles in open play against some of the bigger teams, to be replaced by Taylor who seems to play a similar style is an exciting prospect.

... Anyway, it should be good to see how the second side performs ... got to admit, I don't know a lot about Namibia on current form, but I'm guessing they might save their full strength side for some of the other games

Taylor is there because like Coles, he had plenty of steam in the engine for a solid running game - and he was actually New Zealand's most accurate lineout thrower in Super Rugby. But yes, Mealamu would be ahead of him based on his extraordinary experience, leadership and drive close to the line.

My team was as follows:

1) Crockett
2) Mealamu
3) Faumaina
4) Romano
5) Vito
6) Messam (c)
7) Cane
8) Read

9) Kerr Barlow
10) Barrett
11) Savea
12) SBW
13) Fekitoa
14) Slade
15) Skudder

Read and Skudder to get a rest in the next game. Crockett and Faumuina need some game time. I'd probably throw Kaino in the mix for the next match and Tonga, resting him for this one. Savea needs a couple of good hit outs to get into the groove. We shouldn't take our opposition too lightly, but I don't think Namibia will be as strong as Georgia.

Last edited:
A game that tear me apart. New Zealand my home away from home and Namibia my favorite African team. Will be a like a walk in the park for the AB's. I just hope Namibia can manage to score a point.

A game that tear me apart. New Zealand my home away from home and Namibia my favorite African team. Will be a like a walk in the park for the AB's. I just hope Namibia can manage to score a point.

I don't think so. I expect Namibia to turn up to play. Expect the greatest challenge the ABs have ever faced.

All Blacks have never played Namibia - makes it a bit of a historic match up. Without being too arrogant, I think the challenge for Namibia will be keeping the score under 100 points.

It will be be the first time that many of them have met Jaque Burger then :) ha. Your right though Nick..

Namibia to surprise everyone, you heard it here first. :D

For Shaggy ;).

Have to admit, after that Argentina game I'm glad I don't have to wait a full week for the next match. It has left me feeling a little flat. If I may pull a heineken - I predict the All Blacks to vent any frustrations on a soon to be savaged Namibia. One trillion points.

Last edited:
Namibia will loose badly this won't be Japan Vs SA 2 to pull of a shock you need to be a proper tier 2, a great coach and execute everything perfectly.

Question will really be score line and whether NZ will really put them to the sword as they should do.

Can't really see a major threat from Namibia. I know nothing about them really; can anyone provide any analysis? I don't believe they'll be as challenging as Georgia, and it'll probably be our easiest game in the pool. Seems like a good opportunity for Faumuina to get some game time under his belt. Wouldn't mind if the third string guys like Codie Taylor and Kerr-Barlow had starts. Not sure about 100, but I'd certainly say 50 points should be on the cards if we execute well. Possibly more.

A mixture of big Afrikaners/Germans that enjoy smashing things (Burger) and fairly nippy/creative backs (Chrysander Botha). Quite a few players have AP/Currie Cup and even Super Rugby experience but there's no real chance for decent organisation or cohesion due to lack of time together. They should produce a few good individual displays though.

Can't really see a major threat from Namibia. I know nothing about them really; can anyone provide any analysis? I don't believe they'll be as challenging as Georgia, and it'll probably be our easiest game in the pool. Seems like a good opportunity for Faumuina to get some game time under his belt. Wouldn't mind if the third string guys like Codie Taylor and Kerr-Barlow had starts. Not sure about 100, but I'd certainly say 50 points should be on the cards if we execute well. Possibly more.

Jacques Burger can tackle a lot...

Barring that I'm not sure what else I can say about Namibia. They've never won a Rugby World Cup match and they were run close in qualifying by some of the other smaller African teams (although they rarely had their best team). We've never played them before...so there is that. In 2003 they lost to Australia 142-0. They have never won a Rugby World Cup game in their four tournaments. Their For and against reads 144/974 in Rugby World Cups. They have a losing record against every team they have played that is entered in this Rugby World Cup. I believe their coach resigned a few weeks before the tournament launched.

Latest posts