• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2015 RWC] Pool C: New Zealand vs. Tonga (09/10/2015)

All stats point towards Tonga, more possession, territory and turnovers. AB's did most of the defending in the match and missed 15 tackles compared to 21 missed tackles from Tonga.

The stats indicate that the ABs were more effective with ball in hand, creating more line breaks and munching up meters with less possession.

This was the perfect sort of physical game the ABs needed before a quarter final. They showed glimpses of forward play, the pick up and go. I imagine we will see more of it in the knockout, and then spreading the ball out wide at the right times.

Only concern would be the number of penalties the ABs are conceding. They conceded 8 penalties in their own half. That is dangerous against the top 5-6 teams in the world as they can rack up points pretty quickly.

http://www.rugbyworldcup.com/match/14217#stats

4 games in a row where we have been sluggish in the first half, it's always a worry how we take so long to get going.

4 games in a row where we have been sluggish in the first half, it's always a worry how we take so long to get going.

It's been like that for the last 4 years mate, we're definitely a 2nd half team. Our bench is too strong.

I think Nepo was the next prop off the ranks anyway. He isnt a LH, but Crockett, B Franks and Faumuina can all play there.

Gutted for Woody as he is a real legend, but he didn't exactly have anything left to prove.

Laulala would have been there for me over Faumuina to start with if I'm honest. Not sure he will get much game time now though.

BL for Woody, **** way to end his career.

I think Read made half our teams handling errors.

Certainly more disciplined and reduction in errors than previous games.

Credit to Tonga in the 1st half, they played great and hit hard, but the AB's and their bench came through in the 2nd half.

NMS has a great future ahead and he and Savea must be the starting wingers for the next game.

Thought Aaron Smiths decision making and ball hogging today cost us 2-3 tries, he really is having a below par WC so far.

DC ran today at the line and that was good to see.

Overall a much better performance by the AB's.

BL for Woody, **** way to end his career.

Thought Aaron Smiths decision making and ball hogging today cost us 2-3 tries, he really is having a below par WC so far.

Not sure if you're being serious or not. Aaron created so much space of the scrum for Cane to score, his cheeky pass to SBW was class. His constant heckling of the oppositions 9 completely made him a non-event.

Not too mention the Argentinian game where he had a stormer, should have been named MotM.

Surely you're joking?

Not sure if you're being serious or not. Aaron created so much space of the scrum for Cane to score, his cheeky pass to SBW was class. His constant heckling of the oppositions 9 completely made him a non-event.

Not too mention the Argentinian game where he had a stormer, should have been named MotM.

Surely you're joking?

Aaron Smith did blow a certain try by going it himself instead of passing wide. Not a terrible game - he did a lot of good stuff - but he did cost us a try when we had huge numbers to the left.

Aaron Smith did blow a certain try by going it himself instead of passing wide. Not a terrible game - he did a lot of good stuff - but he did cost us a try when we had huge numbers to the left.

Yeah true, but to say he's had a terrible tourny is definitely rough given the amount of chances he's created, he by far looks the best 9 in the tournament so far and I think most of the guys have struggled for real form and Aaron was certainly at the heart of our win vs Argentina and I felt he did a lot of good things tonight. I do think his box kicking is really predictable at times though and they really were pressuring him albeit from offside positions at times, but I expect to see more of that from other teams, so hopefully he can disguise the kick a little more, or have a plan b.

Yeah true, but to say he's had a terrible tourny is definitely rough given the amount of chances he's created, he by far looks the best 9 in the tournament so far and I think most of the guys have struggled for real form and Aaron was certainly at the heart of our win vs Argentina and I felt he did a lot of good things tonight. I do think his box kicking is really predictable at times though and they really were pressuring him albeit from offside positions at times, but I expect to see more of that from other teams, so hopefully he can disguise the kick a little more, or have a plan b.

Didn't say terrible did I? I said below par, the Argie game is the only game I have been impressed with him.

Today I felt like he blew 2-3 tries by being greedy, funnily enough so did the 5 other people I watched it with, also he was so slow to get the ball out today.

So while he is doing good stuff it is certainly not the same standard we are used to from him.

Didn't say terrible did I? I said below par, the Argie game is the only game I have been impressed with him.

Today I felt like he blew 2-3 tries by being greedy, funnily enough so did the 5 other people I watched it with, also he was so slow to get the ball out today.

So while he is doing good stuff it is certainly not the same standard we are used to from him.

Fair enough, I probably overreacted a bit. At least he created a few, he looks dangerous at all times as well. The Tongans slowed the ball down a lot and were offside a lot as well, which obviously will have an effect on any 9. The ref let them away with murder.

I'm happy with that performance - not in the sense that it was totally complete and perfect, but the boys showed better execution, took on the line with more physicality and confidence, and I just felt they did more things well compared to other weeks. Some of that is the style of the match I think. We respond better when our opposition actually has a go, tries to attack quickly, and basically engages in the sort of rugby you see in this part of the world.

dan Carters performance should shut a few people up. It was perhaps his best kicking display I've seen in ages. Not just goal kicking but the length on some of those placement kicks were phenomenal IMO. Let's just hope he can carry that on in the quarter final. I think Carter needed this type of game to get his confidence back up. With respect to Georgia and Namibia, they played a different brand of footy which is very stop-start. That is very hard to be perfect against for any backline player.

Aaron Smith was a bit slow at the base of the ruck at times I reckon. However, that's just an observation, not an advocacy for someone else to start. The other two are even slower.

Very happy with Sam Cane, Milner Skudder, and Maa Nonu, thought they all did very well. Congrats to Nonu on reaching 100 and scoring a fitting try. I thought Cane performed just as well as McCaw would have in his absence, involving himself in attacking opportunities, tackling his heart out, etc. And Skudder? Well to me that seals it. I think he should start on one wing, and people will disagree no doubt but Savea on the other. I'm not convinced Hansen will leave Julian out, I reckon he'll back him. Naholo got an awkward pass when he knocked it, but I don't think he's having quite the impact of Skudder.

Tongas defence held strong for a good portion of the match and they deserve recognition. I'm so happy and grateful they engaged in a positive brand of rugby.

Guttered for Woodcock. While I did advocate another player to start our KO games, I did feel Tony's inclusion would still be important. Obviously a proven performer at World Cups and a great servant to New Zealand rugby over the last few years.

dan Carters performance should shut a few people up.

Aaron Smith was a bit slow at the base of the ruck at times I reckon. However, that's just an observation, not an advocacy for someone else to start. The other two are even slower.

Very happy with Sam Cane, Milner Skudder, and Maa Nonu, thought they all did very well. Congrats to Nonu on reaching 100 and scoring a fitting try. I thought Cane performed just as well as McCaw would have in his absence, involving himself in attacking opportunities, tackling his heart out, etc. And Skudder? Well to me that seals it. I think he should start on one wing, and people will disagree no doubt but Savea on the other. I'm not convinced Hansen will leave Julian out, I reckon he'll back him. Naholo got an awkward pass when he knocked it, but I don't think he's having quite the impact of Skudder.

Agree on all these points, DC had a good game, but I will reserve judgement until he backs it up with another one next week.

Same thoughts for Smith about anyone else starting, Smith is still the starting 9.

I don't think anyone can argue with Savea and NMS being starting wingers, Nahalo hasn't done enough to start.

Last edited:
Veitchy is pretty hopeless isn't he, had it down as Moody going then Veitchy starts spamming is Laulala, not having a clue he's a TH.

Veitchy is pretty hopeless isn't he, had it down as Moody going then Veitchy starts spamming is Laulala, not having a clue he's a TH.

Bugger, I was hoping for Laulala with others covering LH.

Lol yeah, that's Veitch for ya. As much as I wish Laulala was there, a guy who actually can/has played in Tony's position would require less shuffling.

As Chris Rattue wrote in NZH, I believe Naholo's selection proved wrong in the end, as it is clearly that NMS has locked his starting spot. Piutau would have brought a lot more than Naholo...Anyway, my confidence hasn't' changed in the ABs winning this tournament. Bring on Cardiff and avenge 2007!

I'm happy with that performance - not in the sense that it was totally complete and perfect, but the boys showed better execution, took on the line with more physicality and confidence, and I just felt they did more things well compared to other weeks. Some of that is the style of the match I think. We respond better when our opposition actually has a go, tries to attack quickly, and basically engages in the sort of rugby you see in this part of the world.

dan Carters performance should shut a few people up. It was perhaps his best kicking display I've seen in ages. Not just goal kicking but the length on some of those placement kicks were phenomenal IMO. Let's just hope he can carry that on in the quarter final. I think Carter needed this type of game to get his confidence back up. With respect to Georgia and Namibia, they played a different brand of footy which is very stop-start. That is very hard to be perfect against for any backline player.

Tongas defence held strong for a good portion of the match and they deserve recognition. I'm so happy and grateful they engaged in a positive brand of rugby.

Guttered for Woodcock. While I did advocate another player to start our KO games, I did feel Tony's inclusion would still be important. Obviously a proven performer at World Cups and a great servant to New Zealand rugby over the last few years.

I pretty much agree with all that you've said here, and for me, DC was the MoM; it wasn't just his kicking, but more how he put his body on the line in defense, and how he was the one diving on the ball in the early stages of the match, when the Tongans were kicking it through.

Naholo probably has played himself out of contention for the knockout games (unfortunately) ... I'm not sure what's going on with Keiran Read either; if he wasn't so important as a leader, I think his current form may have had possibly Vito starting. Great that Messam finally got some game time, but I didn't really notice what impact he had on the game.

SBW has had a pretty good tournament so far, and it's hard to see him not being the go to sub for the midfield, from here on in, which is unfortunate for Fekitoa.

I like Barrett's impact as a sub in this match, but still worry about his goal kicking ... if they go with Perenara as the half back sub, hopefully he's getting plenty of shots at goal practice, just in case

Yea Piutau would have been a much better player as a back up winger if JS and NMS are the starters. Frankly I would have Piutau starting. He has been phenomenal every time he puts on the black jersey. The selectors expected Naholo to be similar to NMS in terms of confidence. However the pressure on Naholo is probably weighing him down. He knows he has to come back from an injury and perform at his peak. That's a hard ask for a rookie at the biggest stage.

The only issue I have now is, if Ben Smith, Savea or NMS fall over, Naholo does not seem too assuring compared to our other options back home i.e. Piutau

As Chris Rattue wrote in NZH, I believe Naholo's selection proved wrong in the end, as it is clearly that NMS has locked his starting spot. Piutau would have brought a lot more than Naholo...Anyway, my confidence hasn't' changed in the ABs winning this tournament. Bring on Cardiff and avenge 2007!

Naholo was our roll of the dice. He's still a great player and might do something come the knock out games if Savea or Skudder get an injury, but yeah, I think Charlie was the sane logical choice, but they chose to take a gamble and also make an example of Charlie, so here we are. If there's one position where you can take at least a punt, it's definitely wing. Asking a guy to be in form after breaking his leg is always a hard ask, especially on the biggest stage in rugby, in a team who was struggling for form and putting themselves under pressure.

Latest posts