• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2015 RWC] Pool D: France vs. Ireland (11/10/2015)

There both through already, they may opt to wrap some of there players in cotton wool for the Quaters resulting in a half and half sort of team.. I hope they don't do this and both sides just go all out to top the table..
Considering the loser will play NZ I can't see either team wanting to lose..

Last edited:
There both through already, they may opt to wrap some of there players in cotton wool for the Quaters resulting in a half and half sort of team.. I hope they don't do this and both sides just go all out to top the table..

:huh::huh::huh:

I'm starting to get really f**ked off with the Irish press.

All this optimism is based on us winning 2 6N on points difference, usually with narrow wins over the other teams bar the whipping boys and managed to beat a poor SA team in the autumn. Crazy.

We are not the world beaters the press continually think we are. Our players aren't really all that great - if they were, they wouldn't need to wholly rely on prescribed moves to get past reasonable opposition, but could do it with heads up play. Indeed, even the prescribed moves didn't work on Sunday.

Can anyone really see that, very game, but also very limited Italian team giving the likes of NZ or Aus half the problems they gave us?

If we beat France, Argentina will most likely nonchalantly dismiss us. If we lose to France, NZ will put 30+ on us if they could be arsed.
Not world beaters but we play ****ty negative rugby that will win big games. 5 tries conceded in 8 competitive games and we don't exactly leak penalties. Defence builds winning teams and as I've said numerous times that's what we are right now. Are we a great side? Probably the best we've taken to a World Cup but not because it's the best group of players, worse than what we took to the last two world cups anyway, but rather that we've decided to play in a **** way that wins matches.

France will give us trouble because an Irish rugby team will never beat the French handy but if we do we're in the semi final playing the perfect brand of narrow, defensive and high percentage rugby to beat the Aussies.

If our backrow struggles to impose themselves on the breakdown against an Italy with Sergio Parisse carrying one leg, how do you think they'd do against Pooper or Ruchie/Read?

As a fellow culchie, I've a man crush on SOB, but the big man isn't exactly tearing up trees right now. Maybe he's been distracted by the ploughing championships... POM is never going to give you big ruck clearances, he's too light (although he's sometimes ok at turnover - but no Pocock/Hooper/Ruchie) and Heaslip is consistently good but rarely immense.

If our backrow struggles to impose themselves on the breakdown against an Italy with Sergio Parisse carrying one leg, how do you think they'd do against Pooper or Ruchie/Read?

As a fellow culchie, I've a man crush on SOB, but the big man isn't exactly tearing up trees right now. Maybe he's been distracted by the ploughing championships... POM is never going to give you big ruck clearances, he's too light (although he's sometimes ok at turnover - but no Pocock/Hooper/Ruchie) and Heaslip is consistently good but rarely immense.

Honestly. Parisse is the best 8 around and the 7 was playing world class. Just on out backrow. Pom has cleared a lot of bodies and was a heavy hitter in last few games. SOB has been lacking a lot this RWC. Heaslip I see is statistically 1 of the best carriers at this RWC so far. Our backrow aren't much individually but as a unit they are top class. Italy played brilliant and we underperformed. But that doesn't mean we've all of a sudden became a bad team. Yes we've won to 6Nations on points but we've done it playing well and with a solid game plan. Also we have a style to our game.

Changed my mind so many times on this but finally settled on Ireland , I love the way the French play and my heart tells me France but my head tells me Ireland they are just a consistent cohesive unit, hard to beat and do everything well including the basics, I just think they will have too much control and take a stranglehold of this game , they should dominate the line out , the scrum should be a close contest , Ireland have the advantage of sexton , yes Ireland were average against Italy but as I said Italy played about as well as they could that day and Ireland still came out on top. France will have their moments they have too much talent not too but the Irish I think will win by 7-10 points.

Not world beaters but we play ****ty negative rugby that will win big games. 5 tries conceded in 8 competitive games and we don't exactly leak penalties. Defence builds winning teams and as I've said numerous times that's what we are right now. Are we a great side? Probably the best we've taken to a World Cup but not because it's the best group of players, worse than what we took to the last two world cups anyway, but rather that we've decided to play in a **** way that wins matches.

France will give us trouble because an Irish rugby team will never beat the French handy but if we do we're in the semi final playing the perfect brand of narrow, defensive and high percentage rugby to beat the Aussies.

Basically how England won in 2003 and South Africa in 2007.

Ireland should win, however stranger things have happened.

It's a credit to Irish rugby that people there apart from the halfbacks, you can make arguments for lots of different players to start the game. 2007 we had a minimal depth and that has been rectified, we have a good squad, and the right man in charge of it. Very excited. Would like to see McGrath play from the start. I also think Henry starting and SOB coming of the bench is an option worth considering.

I agree with you on this and would like to see you win the RWC as it would quieten those England commentators here who believe that attack, attack, attack with a poor defense is the way forward!!!

Play to your strengths with the proper team spirit and culture and anything is possible.........wish I could say that in Japanese!!!!!!

It's a credit to Irish rugby that people there apart from the halfbacks, you can make arguments for lots of different players to start the game. 2007 we had a minimal depth and that has been rectified, we have a good squad, and the right man in charge of it. Very excited. Would like to see McGrath play from the start. I also think Henry starting and SOB coming of the bench is an option worth considering.

Joe Schmidt is an outstanding coach. For me, he would determine Ireland winning the World Cup or not.

France to win this one by a converted try

as many posters above have stated the set play will win the game and on that basis my vote goes to the French

France to win this one by a converted try

as many posters above have stated the set play will win the game and on that basis my vote goes to the French

I will smile from ear to ear if this happens :)

We have one of the best coaches but he can't control the events on the pitch. A missed tackle, a lucky bounce or a key injury may all cost us the game.

Key is Sexton kicking to the corners to maintain territory. I'm not sure what happened on Sunday but as we just ran into the Italian line we were pushed backwards but Italy just made gains every time even though they would run into a green wall.

Need to tighten up.

Ireland should have this one. But... France do tend to have a word to ref before the game etc.

I can hardly see Nigel Owens listening to the French little word before the game he is above that!!!!!! Tight game and the one with the best game head may well be infront at the end. but there are so many things that could happen in 80 mins !!!!

mm, well they've done it before...

You mean like the kiwis in 2011 ??

I watched again yesterday a big part of the quarter final in 2007, wanted to have another look at the refeing of Barnes. Apart the forward pass towards Michalak (which is impossible to see from Barnes position, he is hidden from Michalak), Barnes is very fair all along. Where Kiwis are gutted is that he has punished McCaw big time all the match for not rolling out. Finally Kiwis are ****** off against a referee who applied the rules.

Latest posts