• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2015 RWC] Pool D: Ireland vs. Italy (04/10/2015)

Poor performance against local underdogs is characteristic across all sporting codes, often resulting in an upset, noticed Falvey hovering about Sexton quite a bit yesterday ,for this reason and Murray's repeated boxkicking was supprised he was not pulled, post match media bits suggest no problems, was he being minded? Outside of the try I recognised little from the training ground, intensity around ruck much less than I normally associate with this group, I think Heaslips understudy at Leister is our next best 8 , which in itself is not ideal. Remaining hopeful of a big turnaround next time.

Ireland made hard work of it but a win is a win. Italy were excellent and really stepped up a few levels. You'd wonder do they lack leaders after watching their previous matches.

The problem Heaslip has is no competition. He doesn't have to try in some games because he is guaranteed his place. That's bad for the team. The reason Ireland has been more consistent these last 2 years is partly down to competition for places. POM definitely has the skills to play 8 and played there at underage levels but would need some practise there. Still, I'd wait to see how they get on against France first. I've a feeling the intensity levels will be cranked up a few notches.

Stander will be up his hole after the RWC. But SOB should be able to cover there. But regardless I'm not saying Heaslip should be chopped just no one is safe. Intensity and accuracy have to rise hugely. I've a feeling Healy, Payne, Rob K will return in place of McGrath, Dave Kearney and Zebo the next day. And the 3 lads are unlucky as they've done very little wrong. Zebo and Kearney had to try live off scraps and McGrath held his own. But certainly a big step up needed

Would anyone else love to see a Henderson Toner combo? That would leave us with the unquestionable prospect of dropping POC though. But really, I like Toner a lot, I think he adds so much to our line out and is not a bad carrier, but at the same time Henderson is so destructive, its impossible to say who Id like to see start regularly. At the moment Im kind of leaning towards Henderson though

Stander will be up his hole after the RWC. But SOB should be able to cover there. But regardless I'm not saying Heaslip should be chopped just no one is safe. Intensity and accuracy have to rise hugely. I've a feeling Healy, Payne, Rob K will return in place of McGrath, Dave Kearney and Zebo the next day. And the 3 lads are unlucky as they've done very little wrong. Zebo and Kearney had to try live off scraps and McGrath held his own. But certainly a big step up needed
Bowe should go before DK. Payne and Kearney are essential as, although he can break a line better than, Earls hasn't got the catch and pass game Payne does which is important to this team considering Henshaw doesn't have one either and Zebo's positioning, kicking and kick chase aren't up ther with Kearney naturally enough.

I see no reason to drop McGrath, he's better in the scrum than Healy and always puts in a good shift, Healy looks less than destructive these days too. I think Schmidt will go for the biggest backline possible next week which would see no changes apart from Kearney and Payne into 15 and 13.

As for yesterday I was disappointed enough going to the game and it being so poor but had I watched it at home I'd have been quietly pleased. Murray and Sexton won't play poorly twice in a row, it was a poor performance that kicks are pack into place and we won. Not as confident as I had been but still think we'll be in the mix come the semis.

Bowe should go before DK. Payne and Kearney are essential as, although he can break a line better than, Earls hasn't got the catch and pass game Payne does which is important to this team considering Henshaw doesn't have one either and Zebo's positioning, kicking and kick chase aren't up ther with Kearney naturally enough.

I see no reason to drop McGrath, he's better in the scrum than Healy and always puts in a good shift, Healy looks less than destructive these days too. I think Schmidt will go for the biggest backline possible next week which would see no changes apart from Kearney and Payne into 15 and 13.

As for yesterday I was disappointed enough going to the game and it being so poor but had I watched it at home I'd have been quietly pleased. Murray and Sexton won't play poorly twice in a row, it was a poor performance that kicks are pack into place and we won. Not as confident as I had been but still think we'll be in the mix come the semis.

He won't drop Earls as he's the scoring back we have. Bowe was shown to be the man for the restarts so can see him being retained at the expense of Kearney as its evident Schmidt will use that threat Bowe has. Yes I know Kearney is good in air as well but think he'll edge for Bowe. No one suggests Earls is a centre just simply he will fill in like yesterday. He's a winger and will be back on left wing vs France I think with Payne at 13. I agree regards Kearney replacing Zebo. But Kearneys kicking has been poor this season. He offers more in kick chase but Zebo naturally offers more in attacking the line. But Keatney is the deserving starter here. McGrath I accept is going well just think he'll opt for Healy but agree I the Rob Kearney for Zebo and Payne for Dave K will be 2 changes along with possibly Healy. @jomjom I don't think that combo will be seen as a starter as POCs influence is too much of an asset and he's playing well and effectively he's a better player than Toner. Toner is a fine player though and has really stepped up. But I don't know if we'd get the most out of having those 2 together yet

Last edited by a moderator:
Heaslip must be up there as one of the most underrated players. He's much closer to consistently very good than consistently poor anyway. Also saying he plays poorly due to lack of competition is just completely wrong. He's a professional athlete who's incredibly competitive and has great drive it's just nonsense that the knowledge he won't get dropped means he takes it easy every now and then. We have a number of players who know they're unlikely to be dropped and you won't have people saying that about them. It never ceases to amaze me.

Anyway, was at the match so was only natural it'd be a crap match. Was definitely a poor performance but there's no need for the typical hyperbolic swing that so many Irish sports fans have. We're still the same team we were before the weekend and still have Schmidt. It was also an impressive performance from Italy and they are a completely different proposition with Parisse. Kearney to come straight back in obviously (not that Zebo was overly poor or anything) which will massively boost or territory and hopefully Payne to come in with Earls back on the wing. However Payne was still in a boot before the match so is still a slight worry. His link skills and communication should help a lot.

Last edited:
BG8 I don't think anyone is slating Heaslip to the extent he's desperate or saying much. Just he's not in great form. Also there's nobody saying much has changed. Fact is it was a good win against a spirited Italian team who aren't getting the credit they deserve.

BG8 I don't think anyone is slating Heaslip to the extent he's desperate or saying much. Just he's not in great form. Also there's nobody saying much has changed. Fact is it was a good win against a spirited Italian team who aren't getting the credit they deserve.

There's a huge amount of negativity and Heaslip isn't in bad form. He had an average performance yesterday but was one of our better players over the last number of games.

This!

All I was saying is its natural for guaranteed starters to pick their battles. I don't blame players from that, they just get a little too comfortable. We saw too much of that yesterday and not only from Heaslip. I'm confident the whole team will be fired up fully from now on.

There's a huge amount of negativity and Heaslip isn't in bad form. He had an average performance yesterday but was one of our better players over the last number of games.

But in the general eye a lot thought he went missing. He divides public opinion a lot which says people either like him or not. Personally I don't think he's in great form but don't think he should be dropped as he's the best alternative. People call for POM or SOB but I accept both are nowhere near as good controlling at the base which is crucial. I just think Heaslip isn't being as effective as he can and his carries have been a bit laboured but having rematches again and watching previous games more than once SOB form worries me more. It's not been terrible but he can't run over people like he used to before and overall his confidence seems to have been effected by it.
On yesterday I don't think there's much negativity. It was a poorish day but we were never going to be top form every day. And as I said Italy played immense and aren't getting the credit. Earls at centre was an ok gamble Schmidt took. He'd options but they all were same risk. He used his bench well regards timing and tactically. I don't think there's much negativity. People say Murray and Sexton were poor. But having rematches I thought Murrays kicking was brilliant and Sexton had his up to scratch. Sexton probably being hung out a bit over the missed kicks from tee but I thought in general he wasn't too bad.

Overall I'm sure inside Schmidt will be delighted that yesterday happened. It was the scare to ground a few heads and it battle hardened them for what's ahead.

But in the general eye a lot thought he went missing. He divides public opinion a lot which says people either like him or not. Personally I don't think he's in great form but don't think he should be dropped as he's the best alternative. People call for POM or SOB but I accept both are nowhere near as good controlling at the base which is crucial. I just think Heaslip isn't being as effective as he can and his carries have been a bit laboured but having rematches again and watching previous games more than once SOB form worries me more. It's not been terrible but he can't run over people like he used to before and overall his confidence seems to have been effected by it.
On yesterday I don't think there's much negativity. It was a poorish day but we were never going to be top form every day. And as I said Italy played immense and aren't getting the credit. Earls at centre was an ok gamble Schmidt took. He'd options but they all were same risk. He used his bench well regards timing and tactically. I don't think there's much negativity. People say Murray and Sexton were poor. But having rematches I thought Murrays kicking was brilliant and Sexton had his up to scratch. Sexton probably being hung out a bit over the missed kicks from tee but I thought in general he wasn't too bad.

Overall I'm sure inside Schmidt will be delighted that yesterday happened. It was the scare to ground a few heads and it battle hardened them for what's ahead.
Murray's kicking is what makes him the player he is, he's the best in the world at it. He forgot to be a 9 in any other aspect of the game though, bad passing and running of the game. It won't happen again next week but he was poor for his standards. Same with Sexton, it's just that a lot is expected from arguably the best halfback pairing in international rugby.

Murray's kicking is what makes him the player he is, he's the best in the world at it. He forgot to be a 9 in any other aspect of the game though, bad passing and running of the game. It won't happen again next week but he was poor for his standards. Same with Sexton, it's just that a lot is expected from arguably the best halfback pairing in international rugby.

In general I think Murrays passing has proved to being up there. I just think being fair ***he 2 it was so scrappy it was never going to be the top standard delivery these 2 are capable of. They were just part of the whole game being played on the Italians terms. The defensive issue will hopefully improve next week though. We can't allow France run at us and we hold a line behind the gainline. We do have to push up and try meet them before it. That's where the BOD/D'Arcy era was so good. The shooter system

Latest posts