• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2015 RWC] Pool D: Ireland vs. Italy (04/10/2015)

Apart from the mentality and physicality lark, which I think is rubbish, no one has suggested anything else! It's a wee bit of an overreaction there Muff!!
I know but here my views. And based on it being non-bias and watching the 2 lads.
Earls has proven over the years that when he's fit he is 1 of the best finishers in Europe. Again I state (WHEN HE IS FIT). He's an average centre and while I think he is fine filling in for a game here and there like he done vs Wales in warm ups he'll never be a first choice international 13. But obviously in training and based on his warm up games at 13 he's shown Schmidt he's capable of doing that. People can base it going back years etc but that's BS. If so then Dave Kearney could be ridiculed, so could Sean Cronin's darts or Zebo's attitude. But based on the last 10 weeks. That I think is a fair assessment on Earls. He's a natural winger and certainly international class there when you consider he's matched BOD's tries record in a RWC. Surely that says something.
Regards Zebo. Again I liken him to Dave Kearney. I never rated Kearney much (as did a lot others) but these 2 simply went in to camp and worked hard and have been producing very good performances in everything they do. People say Zebo has an awful attitude but that has massively improved and has been mentioned by the staff. Also he's said to be 1 of the massive positive minds in their that helps guys. Regards on the pitch. He's setting up tries, making his tackles (for all this talk of his poor defensive talk his tackling is statistically better than Kearneys) and showing great hunger for work. Is he better than Kearney at 15, nobody said that. He's in great form and simply pushing for a spot. Just obviously some people are rating him with a premeditated view.

I know but here my views. And based on it being non-bias and watching the 2 lads.
Earls has proven over the years that when he's fit he is 1 of the best finishers in Europe. Again I state (WHEN HE IS FIT). He's an average centre and while I think he is fine filling in for a game here and there like he done vs Wales in warm ups he'll never be a first choice international 13. But obviously in training and based on his warm up games at 13 he's shown Schmidt he's capable of doing that. People can base it going back years etc but that's BS. If so then Dave Kearney could be ridiculed, so could Sean Cronin's darts or Zebo's attitude. But based on the last 10 weeks. That I think is a fair assessment on Earls. He's a natural winger and certainly international class there when you consider he's matched BOD's tries record in a RWC. Surely that says something.
Regards Zebo. Again I liken him to Dave Kearney. I never rated Kearney much (as did a lot others) but these 2 simply went in to camp and worked hard and have been producing very good performances in everything they do. People say Zebo has an awful attitude but that has massively improved and has been mentioned by the staff. Also he's said to be 1 of the massive positive minds in their that helps guys. Regards on the pitch. He's setting up tries, making his tackles (for all this talk of his poor defensive talk his tackling is statistically better than Kearneys) and showing great hunger for work. Is he better than Kearney at 15, nobody said that. He's in great form and simply pushing for a spot. Just obviously some people are rating him with a premeditated view.

Very fair assesment and I agree with most of what you're saying, of course I do have to comment on Zebo!! :D his improvement in two years has been very impressive but his game does need a bit of fine tuning to become a consistent starter. He's still too relaxed with ball in hand and is prone to getting caught and he does the hard work with ball in hand a bit too intermittently for me as well. Apart from that he's sound, he could be the best wing we have but it'll take one more small attitude tweak.

Very fair assesment and I agree with most of what you're saying, of course I do have to comment on Zebo!! :D his improvement in two years has been very impressive but his game does need a bit of fine tuning to become a consistent starter. He's still too relaxed with ball in hand and is prone to getting caught and he does the hard work with ball in hand a bit too intermittently for me as well. Apart from that he's sound, he could be the best wing we have but it'll take one more small attitude tweak.

But in that assessment I could say same for rest of our wingers. We genuinely have no complete winger. Bowe was probably the only 1 but now lacks speed and is flat footed now compared to past. Dave Kearney lacks the bit of class and movement out wide in 1 on 1s and finishing. Earls under the high ball and coming in linking. My point is every wing has a flaw and they can all be exploited on any day.

But in that assessment I could say same for rest of our wingers. We genuinely have no complete winger. Bowe was probably the only 1 but now lacks speed and is flat footed now compared to past. Dave Kearney lacks the bit of class and movement out wide in 1 on 1s and finishing. Earls under the high ball and coming in linking. My point is every wing has a flaw and they can all be exploited on any day.

Aye, but the frustrating thing with Zebo is it is all mental. He should be our best wing but isn't and it doesn't take a lot to change it, Schmidt and Foley will do it but he's about 12months behind where he could be in his career in terms of being a nailed on starter. It's not a negative attitude but a little naive and it's the sort of weakness that Schmidt will take more seriously that being weak under the high ball or in a 1on1 as well.

Earls and Zebo on the wing or else no where.

Aye, but the frustrating thing with Zebo is it is all mental. He should be our best wing but isn't and it doesn't take a lot to change it, Schmidt and Foley will do it but he's about 12months behind where he could be in his career in terms of being a nailed on starter. It's not a negative attitude but a little naive and it's the sort of weakness that Schmidt will take more seriously that being weak under the high ball or in a 1on1 as well.

That may be true. Ask any Munster fan he will tell you straight up the Lions tour Lions tour stalled him. But he thankfully back on track and I accept a lot is mentality and confidence. But Schmidt has worked hard as has Foley and he is definitely up there as a deserving guy at the RWC.
@PAC. I disagree. I think Zebo is a superb 15. Better there than the wing. Has a fabulous left boot and he showed glimpses of his vision and skill set against Romania. He's not better than Kearney or Payne as a 15 but definitely a top 15. He is lethal in the open space when he has the time in front of him and he has that pace to exploit a gap

Last edited by a moderator:
Zebo has all the tools to be an excellent fullback. I think if Zebo was Munster's first choice 15, he would be the Ireland fullback before too long. Right now he is a winger who covers fullback. He covers it very well, but he is still a winger in the management's eyes.

Earls should only play on the wing this RWC. He is our fastest player and in great try scoring form, moving him to center when we have Fitz and Cave available to us would be a strange move.

Zebo has all the tools to be an excellent fullback. I think if Zebo was Munster's first choice 15, he would be the Ireland fullback before too long. Right now he is a winger who covers fullback. He covers it very well, but he is still a winger in the management's eyes.

Earls should only play on the wing this RWC. He is our fastest player and in great try scoring form, moving him to center when we have Fitz and Cave available to us would be a strange move.

Regards Zebo. That's accurate but I think he has the tools to be a better 15 than winger if he plays there for Munster.
Regards Earls. He's a winger for sure and I don't disagree views as a centre but Schmidt obviously sees something IF he plays there.

It seems Bowe and Kearney on wings. Earls and Henshaw in centre. Zebo at 15. Luke covering bench.

Last edited:
Zebo
Bowe
Earls
Henshaw
Kearney
Sexton
Murray

Heaslip
O'Brien
O'Mahony
O'Connell
Henderson
Ross
Best
McGrath

Cronin
Healy
White
Ryan
Henry
Reddan
Madigan
Fitzgerald

That is the rumoured 23

Ireland team:

15. Simon Zebo
14. Tommy Bowe
13. Keith Earls
12. Robbie Henshaw
11. Dave Kearney
10. Johnny Sexton
9. Conor Murray

1. Jack McGrath
2. Rory Best
3. Mike Ross
4. Iain Henderson
5. Paul O'Connell (captain)
6. Peter O'Mahony
7. Sean O'Brien
8. Jamie Heaslip

Replacements:

16. Sean Cronin
17. Cian Healy
18. Nathan White
19. Devin Toner
20. Chris Henry
21. Eoin Reddan
22. Ian Madigan
23. Luke Fitzgerald

That bench is so strong.

Will be great to bring them on against tired Italians.

Don't want Earls at 13

Earls has been great on the wing, but if it's a case of fitting the best available players in to the team, this is a good way of going about it. Exciting looking backline, and a very strong pack. Can't wait!

Earls has been great on the wing, but if it's a case of fitting the best available players in to the team, this is a good way of going about it. Exciting looking backline, and a very strong pack. Can't wait!

It's this. Cave is the best defensive 13 available. Earls the best offensive. Luke probably the best all rounder. Simply put though not slot between all 3 but very excited to see this team. It could be very exciting and what I'm liking is I've a feeling Schmidt will let them cut loose. And as pointed out that pack looks superb and if they give the platform then it'll be some backline to rip it up

ITALY

1. Matias Aguero
2. Andrea Manici
3. Lorenzo Cittadini
4. Ouintin Geldenhuys
5. Josh Furno
6. Francesco Minto
7. Simone Favaro
8. Sergio Parisse (c)
9. Edoardo Gori
10. Tommaso Allan
11. Giovanbattista Venditti
12. Gonzalo Garcia
13. Michele Capagnaro
14. Leonardo Sarto
15. Luke McLean

Replacements:

16. Davide Giazzon
17. Michele Rizzo
18. Dario Chistolini
19. Alessandro Zanni
20. Mauro Bergamasco
21. Guglielmo Palazzani
22. Carlo Canna
23. Tommaso Benvenuti

ITALY

1. Matias Aguero
2. Andrea Manici
3. Lorenzo Cittadini
4. Ouintin Geldenhuys
5. Josh Furno
6. Francesco Minto
7. Simone Favaro
8. Sergio Parisse (c)
9. Edoardo Gori
10. Tommaso Allan
11. Giovanbattista Venditti
12. Gonzalo Garcia
13. Michele Capagnaro
14. Leonardo Sarto
15. Luke McLean

Replacements:

16. Davide Giazzon
17. Michele Rizzo
18. Dario Chistolini
19. Alessandro Zanni
20. Mauro Bergamasco
21. Guglielmo Palazzani
22. Carlo Canna
23. Tommaso Benvenuti

Parisse in, that's a whole new team that Ireland will be facing. Still, Ireland by 20.

That missed switch by Ireland sums up my concerns for them at the moment. They are struggling for consistency and cohesion at the centre and I feel at it's really hindering their attack.

Italy may crack as the game goes on, but it'll be interesting to see if Ireland can solve the problem before the QF.

What on earth is Garces doing watching people pushing in a collapsed scrum? That's just wrong, that's stop play right there.

Latest posts