• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2015 RWC] Semi Final 2: Australia vs. Argentina (25/10/2015)

I just can't see Australia winning this. This will be, by far, their biggest challenge of this tournament so far and look how they've performed against average teams - not great.

Average teams is an insult, I think Oz have certainly played better teams than most of NZ's opposition.

If Pocock is fit, Australia are clear favourites. He makes such a massive difference. If the Pumas are often forced to defend several phases in their own 22 they'll score almost always, and we'd need something special to keep us within comeback distance...

I'd say it's 65-35 to Australia. The Wallabies can also defend phases with impressive pace and accuracy, as they showed against Wales (Although I'd say that Wales didn't push them out wide enough to stretch them, and the Pumas would certainly try to do that).

In any case, I think the Pumas are now beginning to reap the benefits of the change in style since Arg joined the RC. It'd be traumatic at first, of course, but we can't thank the inclusion in that competition enough. Guys like Cordero were 13 years old back in 2007 when Argentina started their bid for a regular tournament. It goes to show how the young talent has been developing with a new attitude in mind.

Super excited about the match. My prediction is Australia by 7-10, with at least 4 tries scored by each side. Should be great for the neutral.

I have a bad feeling about the Pumas. The results were the worst IMO. An overwhelming victory against Ireland and a narrow victory of Australia. The Pumas can't control the pressure of being the favorites and Australia is a really good side that just lost a game this year, against the ABs in Eden Park.

This happened the last time that the Pumas have been the favorites against the Wallabies:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=giisjklk9oc&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Usually a tough loss galvanises a team but in this case a scrappy win and being told that you don't deserve to be in the semis is probably going to have the same effect on the Aussies.

I agree. Australia will be a completely different side even without Pocock. Their defence will be aggressive, similar to what they showed against Wales and England. Aussies seemed to be in a Captain's run in the last game, their defense was very passive. After the scare of the Scots, that won't happen again

Last edited:
Come on you pumas hope they destroy aus i love a good underdog

"I can't see Argentina winning this one" Part 2 by cmac95... :(

Good news for pumas fans is I think the Aussies will win, bad news is that I consider Argentina's chances a lot better than before they played Ireland!! :p

Honestly though I can see the breakdown being the difference between the sides, Scotland and Australia had a battle at the breakdown on Sunday whereas Ireland and Argentina didn't really, turnovers were results of bad offensive rucking for the most part and the intensity that Ireland used to beat Aus last year wasn't there which would have seen a very different type of game. Add to this the fact that the Aussie back three are a hell of a lot quicker than Ireland and won't be weak in the wide channels Argentina will have a very different game than last Sunday.

Getting Imhoff and Cordero to come into midfield to throw the Aussies off will be vitally important and Tucelet will have to play a big role in the backline but these are small and easy changes, Hernandez boot will have to be perfect as well because the Aussies can cause huge problems returning the ball.

It'll come down to Argentina's discipline with the ball and getting from ruck to ruck quickly. Australia strive off turnovers and they give the side huge amounts of confidence, starve them of this and Argentina have more than enough quality to win this but my concern is how they can improve it in one week having played very near their full potential on Sunday.

My prediction is Australia by 4-7 scoring 4 tries to 3. I don't really care who wins, I dislike neither team unlike both in the other semi, but will be supporting the winner of this semi final come the 31st.

"I can't see Argentina winning this one" Part 2 by cmac95... :(

Good news for pumas fans is I think the Aussies will win, bad news is that I consider Argentina's chances a lot better than before they played Ireland!! :p

Honestly though I can see the breakdown being the difference between the sides, Scotland and Australia had a battle at the breakdown on Sunday whereas Ireland and Argentina didn't really, turnovers were results of bad offensive rucking for the most part and the intensity that Ireland used to beat Aus last year wasn't there which would have seen a very different type of game. Add to this the fact that the Aussie back three are a hell of a lot quicker than Ireland and won't be weak in the wide channels Argentina will have a very different game than last Sunday.

Getting Imhoff and Cordero to come into midfield to throw the Aussies off will be vitally important and Tucelet will have to play a big role in the backline but these are small and easy changes, Hernandez boot will have to be perfect as well because the Aussies can cause huge problems returning the ball.

It'll come down to Argentina's discipline with the ball and getting from ruck to ruck quickly. Australia strive off turnovers and they give the side huge amounts of confidence, starve them of this and Argentina have more than enough quality to win this but my concern is how they can improve it in one week having played very near their full potential on Sunday.

My prediction is Australia by 4-7 scoring 4 tries to 3. I don't really care who wins, I dislike neither team unlike both in the other semi, but will be supporting the winner of this semi final come the 31st.

Couldn't agree with you more. Now the pit in my stomach deepens every day.

i read in todays newspaper that the arg team is waiting a citation for nico sanchez. i hasen´t come yet. do someone knows if it`s still posible that he`s gonna be called in?

you couldnt see ireland losing

You're right, and quite the perspicacious observer too!!

- - - Updated - - -

i read in todays newspaper that the arg team is waiting a citation for nico sanchez. i hasen´t come yet. do someone knows if it`s still posible that he`s gonna be called in?

36 horrible hours have past since the end of that game, you'll have Sanchez at the weekend.

I read that too, but I think he cannot be cited now with the time that has gone by since the match.

So we've pulled a Pocock?

- - - Updated - - -

So we've pulled a Pocock?
I wouldn't quite say that, Sanchez did nothing worthy of receiving a red card imo, I thought it was worse when he shouldered Madigan in the head after the whistle was blown and even that was a penalty at worst.

I wouldn't quite say that, Sanchez did nothing worthy of receiving a red card imo,
I sincerely do not know. The only angle i've seen suggest Sanchez viciously hitting (at) something but i have no idea what nor why.

Part of my is very curious and part of me wants nothing to do with it and to make any footage of the incident disappear, just in case.

Latest posts