• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2015 Six Nations] Italy vs Ireland (Round 1)

I was never expecting a great deal from that as entertainment but somehow got less than that. I hope Ireland can get some of their ball carrying forwards back as elsewise I think this Schmidt team will go down as being rather boring. Henshaw-Payne has some developing to do to be the answer as well.

Haha Henderson like a new man with haircut.

Keatley, Murphy and TOD came in all had good games and will be better for it. Our line out was very good. While we didn't play well it was a no win. Win well and it was expected win like today and it's poor.
Overall it's a good solid start and while we know it won't be enough next week it's a base

It's great you're doing a rugby blog, and it's cool you're posting here, but every single thread is getting a bit much mate.

I'll tone it down a bit haha, thanks for the feedback though, I was just trying to post it to relevant areas.

Just to put win in perspective that's Italy's worst opening day defeat in 5 years.

"Statistics damn statistics".....just goes to show what little they show!! Keith Wood was damning in his summing up of a woeful display which Schmidt will not be happy with!

Italy were willing but appalling and judged against that, Ireland have to be marked way down on their own performance. But like a golfer, after throwing away a 10 shot lead in the last nine holes, I can see why you are trying to take the positives.................

Well Leinster fans will explain better. But Schmidt, when Leinster boss, used to play us week before Europe and just wanted to win without showing too much. This may be the same. Yes we know we have to be better but considering injuries and disruption before game and fact we lost there 2 years ago. It's a decent win

I'll tone it down a bit haha, thanks for the feedback though, I was just trying to post it to relevant areas.

It's not relevant, if everyone that had a blog posted in match threads we'd practically double the post count.

Can't see what people are worried about. We expected this performance, or at least I did anyway. Schmidt knows exactly what he's doing. The post match interviews are telling, as players, especially rob kearney, seemed cool and composed, and mentioned that they'd gone out there and did what they needed to do, whereas I thought they would've shown a little frustration after a diabolical match.
Of course, I could be wrong, but I think one of Schmidt's main concerns is to get the limelight off Ireland, and with a performance like today's, he's succeeded a little. He got the points on the board, managed a 23 point lead, which even BOD didn't believe was possible, yet he has everyone wondering about Ireland's performance, and you only need to read twitter to see people are already backing england for the GS over Ireland, which I think Schmidt will want. I really believe he wants this favourite tag gone as much as possible.
Remember, Schmidt is a tactical genius. He's silent in his brilliance.

Can't see what people are worried about. We expected this performance, or at least I did anyway. Schmidt knows exactly what he's doing. The post match interviews are telling, as players, especially rob kearney, seemed cool and composed, and mentioned that they'd gone out there and did what they needed to do, whereas I thought they would've shown a little frustration after a diabolical match.
Of course, I could be wrong, but I think one of Schmidt's main concerns is to get the limelight off Ireland, and with a performance like today's, he's succeeded a little. He got the points on the board, managed a 23 point lead, which even BOD didn't believe was possible, yet he has everyone wondering about Ireland's performance, and you only need to read twitter to see people are already backing england for the GS over Ireland, which I think Schmidt will want. I really believe he wants this favourite tag gone as much as possible.
Remember, Schmidt is a tactical genius. He's silent in his brilliance.

Ah I get it....he wanted Ireland to go out against a championship standard opposition and not to do to much but just enough to win!! The alternative would be to use it as a practice match to gear your team up for the far bigger challenges ahead and to really see what the payers who have come in can do.............

I believe Gatland was part of this plan and asked Italy to play so badly to show Ireland up but they stuffed up!!

It's not relevant, if everyone that had a blog posted in match threads we'd practically double the post count.

I would disagree with you and say that review of the Italy vs Ireland match is perfectly relevant in a thread reviewing the Italy vs Ireland match. I could just copy and paste my views from the blog to here and you would consider it relevant, but I've spent a bit of time making the blog look nice, it's not like I receive advertising revenue from it, just trying to share my opinions on a platform for everyone to see.

Ah I get it....he wanted Ireland to go out against a championship standard opposition and not to do to much but just enough to win!! The alternative would be to use it as a practice match to gear your team up for the far bigger challenges ahead and to really see what the payers who have come in can do.............

I believe Gatland was part of this plan and asked Italy to play so badly to show Ireland up but they stuffed up!!

I am simply suggesting Ireland haven't revealed half of what they've got up their sleeves.
New Zealand do this sometimes. They tend to start off bad in matches, and maybe not play the best rugby, but get the result in the end. It's pure speculation, which is what a forum is for. I just rings a bell from Leinster.

The biggest risk for Ireland going into that game was that, in their rustiness, they'd gift Italy some early points and get their tails up and make a match of it. The safe thing to do was to control possession and territory, play very risk-free and trust in themselves to build a lead slowly - and Schmidt is a very safe coach. So I think that's exactly what they set out to do and there's nothing wrong with that, even if it does make for a terminally dull match. I think they'd have liked to play more rugby, but their carriers just couldn't carve out any really good platforms from open play, and they were never going to give away set plays prior to bigger games, so they didn't and they're not going to cry over spilled milk.

The question is whether they can produce more to beat better - the answer's been yes in the past - and I don't really see that changing.

Doesn't change the fact they've been a pretty dull team recently. Just hope getting guys like O'Brien and Healy into the team changes that.

Tony. Maybe it's fact Schmidt knows this is over 5 games. Ireland were very comfortable and never in doubt. He blooded a few players and well consider this.
Healy Strauss Kilcoyne (I know not a 3)
Ruddock Donnacha Ryan
Sean O'Brien
Jamie Heaslip
Chris Henry
Reddan
Sexton
Earls
D'Arcy
Luke Fitz
Trimble
McFadden
Dave Kearney

That's 16 players named that all have serious intentions of being in a match day 23. Add in others like Gilroy and well out of that there's some classed as world class so considering all those were out for 1 reason or another then it's not that bad. Also Ireland have been known to start sluggish at times and considering there was a lot of new things then it wasn't bad overall.

Tony. Maybe it's fact Schmidt knows this is over 5 games. Ireland were very comfortable and never in doubt. He blooded a few players and well consider this.
Healy Strauss Kilcoyne (I know not a 3)
Ruddock Donnacha Ryan
Sean O'Brien
Jamie Heaslip
Chris Henry
Reddan
Sexton
Earls
D'Arcy
Luke Fitz
Trimble
McFadden
Dave Kearney

That's 16 players named that all have serious intentions of being in a match day 23. Add in others like Gilroy and well out of that there's some classed as world class so considering all those were out for 1 reason or another then it's not that bad. Also Ireland have been known to start sluggish at times and considering there was a lot of new things then it wasn't bad overall.

Fair enough and we shall see!! God it was boring though!!!!

Fair enough and we shall see!! God it was boring though!!!!

I'm not defending game at all. It was poor but Schmidt deals in the opposition he's against and his players available and creates tactics based on that.
If we win 5 games and do it ugly but per plan he will be happy.

Latest posts