• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2015 TRC] Australia v South Africa in Brisbane (18/07/2015)

http://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/Springboks/Meyer-We-will-make-changes-20150713

This article make me think that there will be wholesale changes. Maybe even a start for Lood De Jager...

Not too surprising though, given how both New Zealand and South Africa used the 2011 Tri-nations for their RWC preparations, Argentina seem to be resting key players, and Ausralia are likely to vary their players from week to week too, given the size of their player squad.

Its a bit of a shame, because it kind of cheapens/negates the importance of the tournament in RWC years, but it's necessary I guess, if you've got your eye on the big prize.

Jessie Kriel looks like he's being groomed for an impact player role of the bench to me, or, be that player that changes position during the match to accommodate the players off the bench.

Do you think he'll get a run at fullback any time soon?

Is Francious Steyn injured or just out of the running? I would be tempted to have him at Fullback over lambie..

I believe he's injured at the moment ... A handy guy to have (maybe on the bench) to kick those crucial long range penalties in the close games

Last edited:
Not too surprising though, given how both New Zealand and South Africa used the 2011 Tri-nations for their RWC preparations, Argentina seem to be resting key players, and Ausralia are likely to vary their players from week to week too, given the size of their player squad.

Its a bit of a shame, because it kind of cheapens/negates the importance of the tournament in RWC years, but it's necessary I guess, if you've got your eye on the big prize.

Jessie Kriel looks like he's being groomed for an impact player role of the bench to me, or, be that player that changes position during the match to accommodate the players off the bench.

Do you think he'll get a run at fullback any time soon?

I believe he's injured at the moment ... A handy guy to have (maybe on the bench) to kick those crucial long range penalties in the close games

Well Kriel could for all we know start at 15 this weekend and have someone like Jan Serfontein move into the centre position.

But I have a feeling that HM is going to put Lambie at Fullback, to make sure he covers his bases for the World Cup.

Saturday's result

As an outlier prediction, a bit of spice for the competition pot - SA by 10 or more. I look at the quality of the competing individuals, and previous performance levels, and the Springboks seem clearly superior. Can the new Oz coach alchemise his flawed material? My money says no. And, yes, I watched the 2014 Perth game.

Well I'm backing my country. Home game, no Vermuelen or JDV. possibly an inexperienced centre combination - DeAllende had the second most missed tackles in Super Rugby this season just sitting behind none other than Kurtley Beale. On the other hand SA have a forward pack that's hard to beat and decent halves. It's a tough one to call.

We also have not seen the Wallabies play yet - they could be awesome, then again they could be poor.

Stuff it, everyone is eager to dismiss the Wallabies chances - Wallabies by 8

Well I'm backing my country. Home game, no Vermuelen or JDV. possibly an inexperienced centre combination - DeAllende had the second most missed tackles in Super Rugby this season just sitting behind none other than Kurtley Beale. On the other hand SA have a forward pack that's hard to beat and decent halves. It's a tough one to call.

We also have not seen the Wallabies play yet - they could be awesome, then again they could be poor.

Stuff it, everyone is eager to dismiss the Wallabies chances - Wallabies by 8

DeAllende was tackling at 77.6%. Not amazing, but still no where near the worst defender. It's less than 3% lower than AAC.

DeAllende was tackling at 77.6%. Not amazing, but still no where near the worst defender. It's less than 3% lower than AAC.

yeah and he's great on attack too - I'm just trying to look at the positives for the Wallabies and that's something I picked up on. Everyone seems to have written the Wallabies off - I'm OK with that as it's better than being 'favourites'

I'd probably put the Springboks as slight favourites, but there is no reason why Australia can't win this.

Out of interest, any idea why Speight was replaced by Cummins? In my opinion Speight is clearly the better winger.

Wallabies starting XV:

1 Slipper
2 Moore (c)
3 Kepu
4 Skelton
5 Simmons
6 Fardy
7 Hooper
8 Higginbotham
9 Genia
10 Cooper
11 Horne
12 Giteau
13 Kuridrani
14 AAC
15 Folau

Surprising Poey is not at the starting XV :eek::eek::eek:

Out of interest, any idea why Speight was replaced by Cummins? In my opinion Speight is clearly the better winger.

I agree, he's the best Aussie winger. He was replaced after his father's death, he asked permission or something like that, he was also banned by the SANZAR after the Super Rugby semifinal, anyway he was not going to play the first RC games. He remains in race for a spot at the WC squad

Last edited:
I'd probably put the Springboks as slight favourites, but there is no reason why Australia can't win this.

Speight is banned for a few weeks because of the tip tackle he made in the QF.

Speight is banned for a few weeks because of the tip tackle he made in the QF.

Despite that, he was chosen for the RC squad at first but then his father died and he asked permission to travel to Fiji to be with his family.

Interesting. Like the backs even if our wings lack genuine pace. Not so sure about the forwards. Fardy and Simmons has been pretty ordinary at test level and Skelton was massively nullified both in the semis in SR and in the EOYT

Speight had a death in the family. Despite being banned for a few games he was picked in the squad, then given bereavement leave to go back to Fiji, that's when they bought in Cummins. I'd rather have Speight in too, and I expect him to be back by the World Cup

Here is the Springbok team for Saturday:

South Africa:

15 Willie le Roux, 14 JP Pietersen, 13 Jesse Kriel, 12 Damian de Allende, 11 Bryan Habana, 10 Handré Pollard, 9 Ruan Pienaar, 8 Schalk Burger, 7 Marcell Coetzee, 6 Francois Louw, 5 Victor Matfield (captain), 4 Eben Etzebeth, 3 Jannie du Plessis, 2 Bismarck du Plessis, 1 Beast Mtawarira.

Substitutes: 16 Adriaan Strauss, 17 Heinke van der Merwe, 18 Frans Malherbe, 19 Lood de Jager, 20 Oupa Mohoje, 21 Cobus Reinach, 22 Pat Lambie, 23 Lwazi Mvovo

http://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/RugbyChampionship/Burger-starts-at-No-8-for-Boks-20150715

So only one change in the starting 15 who played against the World XV, and 4 changes to the bench.

Can't see much fault here...

Here is the Springbok team for Saturday:

South Africa:

15 Willie le Roux, 14 JP Pietersen, 13 Jesse Kriel, 12 Damian de Allende, 11 Bryan Habana, 10 Handré Pollard, 9 Ruan Pienaar, 8 Schalk Burger, 7 Marcell Coetzee, 6 Francois Louw, 5 Victor Matfield (captain), 4 Eben Etzebeth, 3 Jannie du Plessis, 2 Bismarck du Plessis, 1 Beast Mtawarira.

Substitutes: 16 Adriaan Strauss, 17 Heinke van der Merwe, 18 Frans Malherbe, 19 Lood de Jager, 20 Oupa Mohoje, 21 Cobus Reinach, 22 Pat Lambie, 23 Lwazi Mvovo

http://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/RugbyChampionship/Burger-starts-at-No-8-for-Boks-20150715

So only one change in the starting 15 who played against the World XV, and 4 changes to the bench.

Can't see much fault here...

I like Burger coming in at 8 everything considered even if I do feel it's a bit harsh on Whiteley. I read Meyer is backing JPP to recapture form.. well, the faih Meyer showed Habana payed dividends and I guess he wants some experience in the backline to comensate for the lack of caps from 10 to 13.

There is no excuse to keep playing Jannie de Plessis though with both Koch and Malherbe lightyears ahead ITO ability both in the scrum and open play. It's not as if we are lacking experience in the forwards!!!

I like Burger coming in at 8 everything considered even if I do feel it's a bit harsh on Whiteley. I read Meyer is backing JPP to recapture form.. well, the faih Meyer showed Habana payed dividends and I guess he wants some experience in the backline to comensate for the lack of caps from 10 to 13.

There is no excuse to keep playing Jannie de Plessis though with both Koch and Malherbe lightyears ahead ITO ability both in the scrum and open play. It's not as if we are lacking experience in the forwards!!!

Let him play Jannie into injury I say!

Absolutely no excuse to pick Jannie and Ruan I'm afraid.

I really hope HM uses this competition to get rid of the deadwood and give the form players more experience.

Let him play Jannie into injury I say!

It's just a pity it's come to us fans feeling that way.

Absolutely no excuse to pick Jannie and Ruan I'm afraid.

I really hope HM uses this competition to get rid of the deadwood and give the form players more experience.

I'm with you. There are enough experienced players fit and in enough form to warrant selection and more should be ready by RWC time so this is the perfect opportunity to give those who could do with experience extended chances; no point in carrying those has-beens who are holding the team back.

TBF this XV is close enough to what I'd want to see for me not to be too sour but still, if not all of them at least cut Jannie FFS. I still remember the PdV days where more players than not shouldn't have been there. Under Meyer (and with the Wallabies throwing Robbie Deans away for no good reason) we have at least turned around a poor run of results against Aussie (I think we were unlucky in Perth last year and demolished them at home)- long may that continue!!

- - - Updated - - -

Anyway onto the game I have no idea what to expect as the Wallabies havn't featured yet and it's useless to read too much into a match against a World XV at home. I see the bookies have Aussie at +4 for the most part but I'll back us (from the point Malherbe comes onto the field). Hoping Malherbe, Reianch, Heinke and Lambie see extended play from the bench. Break a leg, Doc!

Slightly disappointed with Jannie still starting but excited to see Allende and Kriel in action again!

I don't see why there's so much negative criticism for Ruan Pienaar.

He's the most experienced scrumhalf we have that is fit and able. He performed very well against the World XV and he is our best shout at 9 with Fourie out injured.