• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2016 RBS Six Nations] Round 4: Scotland vs. France (13/03/2016)

TRF_heineken

RIP #J9
Staff member
TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
South Africa
6Nations.jpg

Scotland.png
Versus%20Challenge.png
France.png

Venue: BT Murrayfield
Time: 15:00 GMT

C'mon Scotland if you win and we do we'll have unsurmountable lead going into the last weekend!

This French side has been dire to watch and really should not have any wins, hope the Scots give them a stuffing as Scotland at least can play entertaining rugby. Having the French finish in the top 3 will be a travesty.

With home advantage against arguably the poorest French side in many years I'll be very disappointed if we don't make the most of this opportunity and get a win.

Last edited:
Does frustrate me when we lose to the French in the last few years, we always look the better team but the result never comes our way. Was a pretty encouraging performance from us against Italy but our defence can do with some work, even though Italy's first try was really nice i felt our defence could have been better.

I predict France to get lucky again but i really hope not

All this French bashing is ridiculous! People are talking as if we're playing badly on purpose to spite the sport or something?
We have the most inexperienced team in the tournament, new coaching staff, one of the biggest injury lists, all our veterans have retired... whoever thought Guy Noves was going to come in wave a magic wond around and "Voila" is deluded.
When we played against Ireland a few weeks ago all you heard from everyone and their mothers was how poor France was, how boring, worst French side ever...as if we were struggling on purpose!... but arguably Ireland were worse. They did loose after all!! But in comparison Ireland got a load of "poor Johnny Sexton" "Ireland should have won it" "it was because of there injury list".
If your a home nation you get sympathy , if your French you get a good bashing. Kick the side when their down.

Hi everyone, new french supporter right here !

Its not french bashing to say that "poorest french side in many years" "dire to watch" etc... its a fact our team has became boring to watch. Purpose of rugby is about asking questions to the other side and find his weakness, but it seems we are disorganized collectively while we have some pace and power individually, but they don't know what to do with ball in hand. Take a look at our last game v Wales, it was like one pass ruck one pass ruck, and the way we use Vakatawa is ridiculous he is a monster player with pace to burn and qualities offloads, and we use him as a second row... It really **** me off !

The good point is our defense very solid and compact v irish & welsh but scotts are going to make our ass move all over the field. We also have to be a lot better indivually in the kicking chasse battle.

Last edited:
If France keep it close after 30 minutes they'll go on to win it. The only way I can see Scotland not throwing away a lead and losing is if Stuart Hogg scores 3 tries out the gate... but even then they'd probably find a way.

If it was any other Nation it would be give them time, they have no experience, building a team is more important, this is a new coach in a new era, blah blah blah, etc etc. So this continual French bashing is really water on a ducks back, same as the TOP 14 merceneries etc etc. France still have little structure but there is a vast improvement in their commitment, courage and ability to try and play rugby, there is youth in this team and it's developing slowly but surely, knock it if you will but, but we have heard it all before, and it does become a little monotonous.
Under PSA we did not have this and although France are a long way from the finished product there are many improvements in many departements. So if France lose it will be obviously be they are crap and if we win it will be Scotland who were unlucky or robbed, heard it all so many times.
Personnaly i prefer the TOP 14 AND IF FRANCE WIN I WILL ENJOY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! they are playing away from home !!!!!!!!!!

The team and bench for Sundays game v Scotland

Le XV de départ: Spedding ; Vakatawa, Fickou, Mermoz, Fofana ; (o) Trinh-Duc, Machenaud ; Camara, Chouly, Lauret ; Flanquart, Maestri ; Slimani, Guirado (cap), Poirot.
Les remplaçants: Chat, Pelo, Atonio, Vahaamahina, Goujon, Bézy, Plisson, Médard.

If they do not do the business they should come very close but looking at that backline with FTD leading the charge Scotland could well have a very difficult Sunday afternoon, Church could be a good thing for the Scots Sunday morning or some very stern lessons in defence if God cannot save them.

Spedding,*Fofana, Mermoz,Fickou, Vakatawa,*Trinh-Duc (o),*Machenaud (m);*Camara, Chouly, Lauret, Maestri, Flanquart, Slimani, Guirado (cap), Poirot.

Remplaçants :*Chat, Pelo, Atonio, Vahaamahina, Goujon, Bézy, Plisson, Médard.

Quite happy with this! Fofana on the wing isn't ideal but at least he's playing and very happy to see Trinh-Duc finally start at 10! Let's hope he plays well and stays injury free to enjoy the rest of his career as the French 10.

15. Stuart Hogg (Glasgow Warriors) – 41 caps; 9 tries, 2 pens, 51 points

14. Tommy Seymour (Glasgow Warriors) – 25 caps; 13 tries, 65 points
13. Duncan Taylor (Saracens) – 15 caps; 1 try, 5 points
12. Alex Dunbar (Glasgow Warriors) – 14 caps; 4 tries, 20 points
11. Tim Visser (Harlequins) – 24 caps; 10 tries, 50 points

10. Finn Russell (Glasgow Warriors) – 18 caps; 2 tries, 3 cons, 1 pen, 19 points
9. Greig Laidlaw CAPTAIN (Gloucester) – 49 caps; 4 tries, 61 cons, 115 pens, 487 points

1. Alasdair Dickinson (Edinburgh Rugby) – 55 caps; 2 tries, 10 points
2. Ross Ford (Edinburgh Rugby) – 97 caps; 2 tries, 10 points
3. Willem Nel (Edinburgh Rugby) – 11 caps; 1 try, 5 points
4. Richie Gray (Castres) – 54 caps; 2 tries, 10 points
5. Jonny Gray (Glasgow Warriors) – 22 caps; 1 try, 5 points
6. John Barclay (Scarlets) – 48 caps; 4 tries, 20 points
7. John Hardie (Edinburgh Rugby) – 8 caps; 3 tries, 15 points
8. Josh Strauss (Glasgow Warriors) – 6 caps

Substitutes
16. Stuart McInally (Edinburgh Rugby) – 5 caps
17. Rory Sutherland (Edinburgh Rugby) – uncapped
18. Moray Low (Exeter Chiefs) – 30 caps
19. Tim Swinson (Glasgow Warriors) – 20 caps
20. Ryan Wilson (Glasgow Warriors) – 16 caps
21. Sam Hidalgo-Clyne (Edinburgh Rugby) – 9 caps
22. Pete Horne (Glasgow Warriors) – 16 caps; 2 tries, 1 con, 1 pen, 15 points
23. Sean Lamont (Glasgow Warriors) – 103 caps; 14 caps, 70 points

If the French backs get good possession going forward then Scotland could have problems containing them, but if the Scots pack gets the upper hand .....!
Tough one to predict, but I'll go for a narrow French win.

Under 20's win away from home v Scotland, Girlies win away from home v Scotland could this be the mini Grand Slam v Scotland, one thing is for sure if they do not mark FTD with a least 2 players they could well finish up as the Scottish under 20's and the GIRLIES did, congratulating the French on their victory.

Allez la France, and set up the decider in Paris next Saturday evening!!

Don't really mind who wins, just have an entertaining game of rugby. Must say the 12,13,14 for France are all very beautiful eloquent runners but leaves a lot of work for Vakatawa to do all the hard yards in the backline. A bit like Manu for us.
I think that Scotland will lead at half time by about 3-5 points, but then the size of the French pack will start making breaks, Scotland give away penalties for fun and as long as France can kick the pens, they'll win by about 9-12.

Haven't seen FTD this year, Gaston will definitely by able to tell me, what's his form been like? Beautiful rugby player but I've always seen him as a confidence player, a bit like Ford. If he's in form he's absolute world class, but if it's starting to go wrong he can't seem to change that until it spirals out of control.

Latest posts