• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2016 RBS Six Nations] Round 5: France vs. England (19/03/2016)

TRF_heineken

RIP #J9
Staff member
TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
South Africa
6Nations.jpg

France.png
Versus%20Challenge.png
England.png

Venue: Stade de France
Time: 20:00 GMT

The first English team to win a grand slam in 13 years and it will make them the 13th English team to do so.......what could possibly go wrong

Likely changes?

I expect Marler to get a ban and see Mako start, with Mullan on the bench. Interesting to see if Mullan/whichever loosehead leapfrogs Mako straight to the starting shirt though - possible that EJ sees him as a bench player. Aside from that, I expect no changes. Possible that Ford drops for Tuilagi, but unlikely.

Likely changes?

I expect Marler to get a ban and see Mako start, with Mullan on the bench. Interesting to see if Mullan/whichever loosehead leapfrogs Mako straight to the starting shirt though - possible that EJ sees him as a bench player. Aside from that, I expect no changes. Possible that Ford drops for Tuilagi, but unlikely.

I'd be happy with Daly getting a start on top of that. Joseph has been so, so quiet the last couple of games

I'd be happy with Daly getting a start on top of that. Joseph has been so, so quiet the last couple of games

Couple of games? Come of it, don't drop players for little to no reason. It will destroy confidence, and seeing as he's such a potent player as well.

Yeah, think the team will be unchanged apart from Marler who will be made an example of for his "gypsy boy" comment.

Couple of games? Come of it, don't drop players for little to no reason. It will destroy confidence, and seeing as he's such a potent player as well.

I just Lancaster'd that, didn't I?

I'm a big fan (check the avatar) but I have to agree he's been disappointing. Early in the tournament it was being said that he was quiet because he wasn't getting good ball to work with, however the Wales game I think has countered this somewhat. 60 minutes of dominance and front foot ball, he still looked quiet, and there were a couple of occasions I felt he was in a position where the JJ of last season would have done something magical but instead he shipped the ball on or went to ground and recycled. Even against Italy, three well-taken tries papered over an unremarkable attacking performance.

Having said that, I don't want or expect to see him dropped. This is a Grand Slam decider, it's a huge game, and it's not the time for breaking continuity too much or giving a first start. JJ is quiet but he is never a liability. He does his basics well, reads the game well and makes good decisions in attack and defence (JD handoff notwithstanding). That is the king of player you want in big games, even if the magic is not there. He also has a very good nose for the line, which is a handy trait in any rugby player, especially an outside back.

I'm a big fan (check the avatar) but I have to agree he's been disappointing. Early in the tournament it was being said that he was quiet because he wasn't getting good ball to work with, however the Wales game I think has countered this somewhat. 60 minutes of dominance and front foot ball, he still looked quiet, and there were a couple of occasions I felt he was in a position where the JJ of last season would have done something magical but instead he shipped the ball on or went to ground and recycled. Even against Italy, three well-taken tries papered over an unremarkable attacking performance.

Having said that, I don't want or expect to see him dropped. This is a Grand Slam decider, it's a huge game, and it's not the time for breaking continuity too much or giving a first start. JJ is quiet but he is never a liability. He does his basics well, reads the game well and makes good decisions in attack and defence (JD handoff notwithstanding). That is the king of player you want in big games, even if the magic is not there. He also has a very good nose for the line, which is a handy trait in any rugby player, especially an outside back.

Wish I could have said it like that.

Unchanged Backline I think although I'd like to see Manu to start 13.. JJ has done a job but that is all, maybe a little competition for his place would do him some good.. Maybe Clifford gets a start over the Hask.. But apart from that unchanged..

8pm KO to right? Awesome! I'll have to limit my drinking during the day.

Anyway, it will be the same team, including Marler. I would like to see Daly get at least 20 or 30 minutes. Same with Clifford. Tuilagi last 10 or 20 again.

I reckon it will be a good game, but it won't be an easy England win. France to lead, our subs to change the game and lead us to victory this week :p

Care's the right call. I suspect this is more a slap on the wrist for Marler than anything else.

There is much talk about Grand Slams and Champions looks like England only have to turn up!!!!!!! Over confidence could be their downfall, somehow i don't think France are going to lay down and give it to them, so the team has been picked to stop this Grand Slam nonsense, and FTD is not kicking duty given to Machenaud!!!!

Le XV de départ: Spedding ; Fofana, Fickou, Mermoz, Vakatawa ; (o) Trinh-Duc, (m) Machenaud ; Chouly, Goujon, Le Roux ; Maestri, Flanquart ; Slimani, Guirado (cap), Poirot.
Remplaçants: Chiocci, Chat, Atonio, Jedrasiak, Lauret, Bézy, Plisson, Médard.

We are playing Racing in the afternoo ko 14.30 so it will be in front of the tele for me at the Altrad Stadium

Interesting that Noves has brought in Goujon & Le Roux to help 'compete with the power of the English'.

The interesting selection here is Care. I think Jones wants to keep the tempo nice & high for this big French side. Keep the big French forwards on their feet & dragged from ruck to ruck.

I think this is the right way to go as I do feel this England side, if not more powerful, is certainly fitter than their French counterparts.

Also Mako deserves his start regardless of Marler's actions v Wales last weekend.

Care's the right call. I suspect this is more a slap on the wrist for Marler than anything else.

They have obviously watched the Scotland game and seen the effect of playing at a high pace against France. France have also had one fewer day off - a significant disadvantage.

France have big gain line tacklers but not so much bulk in midfield these days. Expect Billy and co to appear slightly wider especially off first phase. At the very least this selection keeps France guessing as to England's game plan. It is so refreshing to have a coach who realises that you can't be predictable. Against Wales they used Billy as decoy so well and got loads of other runners into the game.

Also Care will, more often than Youngs, put the ball in the fly half hands straight away rather than checking for a break first. It is no coincidence that Ford has looked less good since Stringer left Bath. Horne had a great game for Scotland, partly because they allowed him to take it to the line all the time. Mako will also increase the distraction - another carrier to keep an eye on.

I don't understand dropping Youngs after his best performance of the 6 Nations. Very odd.

I don't understand dropping Youngs after his best performance of the 6 Nations. Very odd.

Really? His service was/is poor, with Care's in general being crisper at the moment.

That being said, I do believe that Jones has a rotation based policy around 9s. His 'there is no first choice' line is probably true in this case.

Latest posts