• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2021 Six Nations] Wales Squad

Oh he's ready to play for Wales but just chucking him in against England without a run of games first is silly.

This is obviously true but the plan should've been (I.e my master plan) to ease him into the tournament with him on the bench in the first game at least.

Pivac just doesn't rate him. By all accounts it sounded like he wanted Priestland in the squad instead of Jarod and it wasn't until he was told Priestland was a no go that he went for Evans

But yeah, he shouldn't start against England but would be nice to see him on the bench but I think he's going to have to wait until the Italy game until he gets a bench spot.

This is obviously true but the plan should've been (I.e my master plan) to ease him into the tournament with him on the bench in the first game at least.

Pivac just doesn't rate him. By all accounts it sounded like he wanted Priestland in the squad instead of Jarod and it wasn't until he was told Priestland was a no go that he went for Evans

But yeah, he shouldn't start against England but would be nice to see him on the bench but I think he's going to have to wait until the Italy game until he gets a bench spot.
Yeah agree with a lot of that, it's a real shame that he hasn't got much game time at this level. I know Biggar is a very important leader within the squad but it just isn't working with him starting. The reasons I would go with Sheedy starting over Evans is due to him having some game-time in the last two matches and the fact that he plays pretty much week in and week out in the Prem... so he 'should' be pretty unfazed by coming up against the English boys.

long term, I've heard wonderful things about Ioan Lloyd at 10. I know he has been used in the back three since breaking through at Bristol but I remember reading some absolutely glowing stuff about him at fly-half as a youth.

Yeah agree with a lot of that, it's a real shame that he hasn't got much game time at this level. I know Biggar is a very important leader within the squad but it just isn't working with him starting. The reasons I would go with Sheedy starting over Evans is due to him having some game-time in the last two matches and the fact that he plays pretty much week in and week out in the Prem... so he 'should' be pretty unfazed by coming up against the English boys.

long term, I've heard wonderful things about Ioan Lloyd at 10. I know he has been used in the back three since breaking through at Bristol but I remember reading some absolutely glowing stuff about him at fly-half as a youth.

Yeah, while I'm not totally sold on Sheedy he's obviously a very capable player and he did well when he came on against Scotland so you've definitely got to go with him at this stage over Evans. It would be a massive decision to leave Biggar out of the match day squad and I'll forgive him if he didn't (I'm a fan of Biggar) but like I say, Evans needs minutes and I'm not sure what he's going to learn with 30 mins against Italy so I'd be really pleased if Pivac put Evans on the bench against England but he won't. To be honest he'll probably keep Sheedy on the bench and start Bigs.

Ioan Lloyd is another superstar in the making I think. He got his first start at 10 for Bristol the other week against Bath and he was superb. Apparently he sees his long term future at fly half so we looked well stocked at 10 for the medium to long term. Sam Costelow at the Scarlets is another very exciting 10 who's the same age as Lloyd I think.

Yeah, while I'm not totally sold on Sheedy he's obviously a very capable player and he did well when he came on against Scotland so you've definitely got to go with him at this stage over Evans. It would be a massive decision to leave Biggar out of the match day squad and I'll forgive him if he didn't (I'm a fan of Biggar) but like I say, Evans needs minutes and I'm not sure what he's going to learn with 30 mins against Italy so I'd be really pleased if Pivac put Evans on the bench against England but he won't. To be honest he'll probably keep Sheedy on the bench and start Bigs.

Ioan Lloyd is another superstar in the making I think. He got his first start at 10 for Bristol the other week against Bath and he was superb. Apparently he sees his long term future at fly half so we looked well stocked at 10 for the medium to long term. Sam Costelow at the Scarlets is another very exciting 10 who's the same age as Lloyd I think.
Who knows, maybe the old fly-half factory is back in action eh?

Lloyd is a good 10 indeed (Barf game showed his attacking skillset but he did have an armchair ride from forwards and 9) and I've watched him at Bristol for some time now, his strength lies in his versatility IMO. Can play 10, wing and 15 and that in an international squad could be pivotal. Sheedy is the better 10 at present but Lloyd the the better 22/23.

Also people saying Sheedy isn't a goal kicker (probably only based on the last game for Wales? Ha.) makes me laugh because he is quite excellent and is a true X factor player who is proven under pressure. Never forget him being recalled from loan at Cinderford due to injuries at Bristol straight into what a few experienced players have said is the highest pressure games they've been involved with [championship promotion playoffs to premiership] and he completely bossed it. Keep in mind Sheedy fought off fierce competition from an in form Ian Madigan also.

WALES 2021 GUINNESS SIX NATIONS SQUAD

Forwards:

Rhys Carre (Cardiff Bues) (12 Caps)
Wyn Jones (Scarlets) (30 Caps)
Rhodri Jones (Ospreys) (17 Caps)
Elliot Dee (Dragons) (33 Caps)
Ryan Elias (Scarlets) (17 Caps)
Ken Owens (Scarlets) (77 Caps)
Leon Brown (Dragons) (12 Caps)
Tomas Francis (Exeter Chiefs) (52 Caps)
Dillon Lewis (Cardiff Blues) (28 Caps)
Jake Ball (Scarlets) (49 Caps)
Adam Beard (Ospreys) (21 Caps)
Alun Wyn Jones (Ospreys) (143 Caps)
Will Rowlands (Wasps) (5 Caps)
Cory Hill (Cardiff Blues) (29 Caps)
Dan Lydiate (Ospreys) (62 Caps)
Josh Navidi (Cardiff Blues) (24 Caps)
Aaron Wainwright (Dragons) (27 Caps)
Taulupe Faletau (Bath) (81 Caps)
Josh MacLeod (Scarlets) (*Uncapped)
Justin Tipuric (Ospreys) (80 Caps)

Backs:
Gareth Davies (Scarlets) (57 Caps)
Tomos Williams (Cardiff Blues) (20 Caps)
Kieran Hardy (Scarlets) (2 Caps)
Dan Biggar (Northampton Saints) (87 Caps)
Callum Sheedy (Bristol Bears) (4 Caps)
Jarrod Evans (Cardiff Blues) (6 Caps)
Johnny Williams (Scarlets) (2 Caps)
Jonathan Davies (Scarlets) (85 Caps)
Nick Tompkins (Dragons) (8 Caps)
Owen Watkin (Ospreys) (25 Caps)
George North (Ospreys) (98 Caps)
Josh Adams (Cardiff Blues) (29 Caps)
Hallam Amos (Cardiff Blues) (22 Caps)
Louis Rees-Zammit (Gloucester) (4 Caps)
Leigh Halfpenny (Scarlets) (93 Caps)
Liam Williams (Scarlets) (67 Caps)

Players unavailable for selection due to injury:

Rob Evans, Nicky Smith, Samson Lee, Ross Moriarty, James Davies, Ellis Jenkins, Gareth Anscombe, Rhys Patchell, Scott Williams, Jonah Holmes
Zammit is good.

It's clear Pivac for whatever reason doesn't like/rate Evans, the fact he hasn't given him a bench so far surprises me. He's very capable, very physical so I can only assume his personality clashes. As you say if priestland had been available I doubt he'd have even been in the squad. I'd have thought with putting Halaholo on the bench he might have chided Evans as back up 10 purely on their club continuity. I guess Pivac has other plans.

Chosen not chided.

I think my concern is at 8, if Falatau gets an injury we have wainwright who could play 8, after that it would be call up for someone like Turnball maybe. We are not blessed with fit 8's at the moment.

It's clear Pivac for whatever reason doesn't like/rate Evans, the fact he hasn't given him a bench so far surprises me. He's very capable, very physical so I can only assume his personality clashes. As you say if priestland had been available I doubt he'd have even been in the squad. I'd have thought with putting Halaholo on the bench he might have chided Evans as back up 10 purely on their club continuity. I guess Pivac has other plans.

Pivac was being a cheeky so and so the other day in one of his pressers talking about bringing in Halaholo saying that he's the only person in the squad who can step and break a line. I mean, I agree with him that Halaholo does bring that but I immediately thought have you not been watching Evans at all this year or ever as he's been doing that for fun.

And that's before you even get into the question of thinking , hang on, if Halaholo is the only person in the squad who can do what you say then why the hell was he not in the squad in the first place.

I'd be dropping Biggar, Davies and Halfpenny from the squad tbh. Fail to see what they bring to the table anymore. They're supposed to be leaders, especially in an otherwise green backline, yet they were the ones making basic costly errors. Their tactical kicking from hand has been terrible as well which puts us under constant pressure.

In Sheedy, Evans and Hardy there's lots of potential. May as well give them the gametime. They can't do much worse. Halfpenny and/or Biggar should not be retained for goal kicking duties alone. That just isn't enough!

Personally I'd be starting Tomos Williams (if fit) and Sheedy with Evans and Hardy on the bench. I'd then be looking to bring Lloyd & Protheroe into the squad with an eye to the future. Protheroe could be our long term fullback imo.

I would like Evans to be given a proper run. He seems to have everything that you want from a 10 to excel in a Privac system. Biggar is a decent well rounded 10 but he just doesn't offer an attacking threat with the ball in hand. With Evans at 10, defences are worried about his running skills which gives more space and time to players out wide. I agree about tactical kicking be poor last week, Scotland, Hogg and Russel were just better kicking that Biggar and halfpenny. You have to say if they aren't kicking well how can your justify their inclusion over players who are better with the ball in hand.

Evans was poor in Pivacs first Game , this might be lingering in the memory , How far away are Patchell and Anscome

Patchell is 27 and for ever injured. I think he could have been very good but best to look at other options now. Anscombe is running again, I still think there is doubt he will even play this season.

Evans was poor in Pivacs first Game , this might be lingering in the memory , How far away are Patchell and Anscome

I doubt Anscombe will ever play for Wales again to be honest. Patchell is perma crocked. The future at 10 is Sheedy, Evans, Lloyd and Costelow

Dillon Lewis has pulled out through injury and WIll Griff John called up as replacement.

Hoping that John get's some game time.

Latest posts