• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2022 Six Nations] Ireland vs Scotland (19/03/22)

TRF_Olyy

English Arrogance
Staff member
TRF Legend
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
Sale
Screenshot 2022-03-14 at 10.39.26.png

Team I'd like to see

Keenan
Conway
Ringrose
Henshaw
Lowe
Sexton
JGP
Healy
Sheehan
Furlong
Baird
Henderson
Beirne
VdF
Doris

Kilcoyne
Herring
Bealham
Tread well (I suppose)
Conan
Casey
Carbery
Hansen

Tough on Conan, but I think part of our problem scrumwise on Saturday was that Beirne is a bit lightweight in the second row against a good scrummaging side, and the scrum is a strength of Scotlands, and for me Beirne has to start somewhere.

We really are struggling at prop, especially at tighthead, and our second row depth is looking a bit thin. I've gone with Lowe because his performance on Saturday was excellent, but I think Hansen might be the better option in terms of our overall attack. His timing, lines of running and hands are excellent, and while he mightn't have some of Lowes more obvious strengths I think his overall contribution might give him an edge.

Nothing against Murray, but Id really like to see Casey get another look, after a decent showing against Italy.

Despite my grumblings on the Scotland team thread I don't think we are in a poisiton to make massive changes. To be honest if the team up their game again as they did for Italy they can give most teams a decent battle and score too.

Fagerson at 3 is probably our best option for scrummaging but can be a bit of a liability in the loose.

If Redpath was available I want to see him involved, or Bennet. Johnson seems to be the best way to calm Finn down so would start him again. Harris did OK in Italy don't think there is an experiment ready to trial in place of him and the defence is bad enough collectively we can't lose him yet.

15 Hogg
14 Graham,
13 Harris
12 Johnson
11 Steyn

10 Russell
9 Price

1 Schoeman
2 Turner
3 Z Fagerson
4 Skinner
5 Gilchrist
6 Darge,
7 Watson,
8 M Fagerson.

Replacements: McInally, Dell, Nel, Hodgson, Bradbury, Vellacott, Hastings, Redpath

Baird is injured. Moloney and Joe McCarthy called up to train.

So probably Henderson with Beirne and Conan to 8 with POM dropping to the bench. Not ideal tbh.

So probably Henderson with Beirne and Conan to 8 with POM dropping to the bench. Not ideal tbh.

Should be fine really. Scots don't have as good a scrum and Barnes won't have the same interpretation as Raynal. It's not great for our lock depth though, Treadwell the next one up.

POM will start for leadership and lineout. Conan will be benching again as he probably seen as a better "finisher".
I'd expect possibly Healy and Kilcoyne switch roles. And maybe Henshaw for Aki but think like Conan Henshaw will be held back. That it.
Only other guy who really put hand up was Murray and I can't see that switch as JGP wasn't bad.

Only potential unforced changes are Conan for POM and Henshaw for Aki I think.

POM is as good a fit to start against Scotland as Conan though. I think it was a mistake to start him v England as we never seem to generate high quality ruck ball when he plays against physical sides but losing Ryan and Henderson playing the way he did were big problems in that regard so hard to blame him.

Kilcoyne and Healy switching wouldn't surprise me too much either, just age and needing a bit of rest more than anything else.

In fairness to POM some of his truly standout performances have come against big peer films sides like England, France and NZ, and I think he can still fill a role as a bit player, but he's playing in one of the most physical and attritional positions on the field. We already have a relative lightweight flanker on the pitch in VdF, along with a big six but relatively undersized second row in Beirne, and I think that lack of power counted against us against England, especially after the loss of Ryan who has assumed that undervalued hardworking unglamorous role that DOC filled.

Against Scotland I think it's important to kill off their hope early in the game because if they manage to hang in there they have a number of potential gamechangers in the likes of Russell, Hogg, Gray etc later in the game. I'd really hope for a complete performance from us this weekend after a couple of successful but ultimately unsatisfactory outings.

That should have said that POM standout performances against big physical sides. No idea where'peer films' came from.:mad:

So is there any chance we lose this? I feel like it's the most uncompetitive fixture not including Italy in the 6n, this is probably not completely indicative of the level of the teams though.

We're on a 6 game win streak including world cup and ANC, Scotland haven't won in Dublin for 12 years and Lansdowne road for 21 which is their second most recent win in Dublin. Its undeniable that Ireland have been better than Scotland since the turn of the millennium but 17-3 over the last 20 meetings seems lopsided. I don't predict an upset this week either.

I can't really see it happening, though it's fair to say Scotland are entirely different team with that back row than the back row that played vs France

Missing Jonny Gray massively I think, if they could get some second row heft they'd be formidable in the pack but dont think they have the ability to stop Ireland dominating in set piece, or the effectiveness of the Irish at clearing out rucks and getting quick ball. If its a clear day, I'd worry for Scotland, though Wouldnt be surprised if Graham dances round Lowe a few times

So is there any chance we lose this? I feel like it's the most uncompetitive fixture not including Italy in the 6n, this is probably not completely indicative of the level of the teams though.

We're on a 6 game win streak including world cup and ANC, Scotland haven't won in Dublin for 12 years and Lansdowne road for 21 which is their second most recent win in Dublin. Its undeniable that Ireland have been better than Scotland since the turn of the millennium but 17-3 over the last 20 meetings seems lopsided. I don't predict an upset this week either.
Think it must be, with the next closest being us and Wales? If you take ~2015 as when Scotland became broadly competitive we've won one and only had another two where we weren't completely put away (last couple). From memory both of those games weren't as tight as the score suggests either.

Think it must be, with the next closest being us and Wales? If you take ~2015 as when Scotland became broadly competitive we've won one and only had another two where we weren't completely put away (last couple). From memory both of those games weren't as tight as the score suggests either.
The 2020 game you really should have won, Hogg dropping it over the line. It's a strange one too, Scotland just rarely seek to get up for it despite a fairly heated rivalry at club level too.

I'm always confident going into a Scotland game but aware that it'll be an awful one to lose and that the loss is probably overdue.

I'm not holding much optimism for a Blue win but we managed to turn England and France away over last year on the road...

At least last year Scotland had a pretty sound defensive system which seems to have all gone a bit loose this year.

At the moment I would go for Ireland 25-17...

Latest posts