• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2022 World Cup - Qatar

Croatia have won 1 game over 90 mins and that was v Canada and they are in the semis again of the WC.
1990 Arg
We lost vs cameroon
won vs russia
drew vs Romania
won vs brazil
drew vs yugoslavia (won on p)
drew vs ita (won on p)
lost to Ger (bs penalty)

2 wins, 2 loses, 3 draws, ended up second. Bit of luck and we could have won that.

Tbh, i'd rather win a WC like that than any other way.

1990 Arg
We lost vs cameroon
won vs russia
drew vs Romania
won vs brazil
drew vs ita (won on p)
lost to Ger (bs penalty)

2 wins, 2 loses, 3 draws, ended up second. Bit of luck and we could have won that.

Ireland reached the quarters of the same comp without winning a game before losing 1-0 to Italy.

The 24 team tournament really allows it, Portugal only won one game in 90mins in 2016 if I remember correctly.

Great to see Croatia advance. Love to see Brazil get thrown out.
Crazy that they don't really tap into their massive Hispanic population. Barriers to enter the sport, but is there the real interest in "Soccer" ? Or is the real talent swallowed up by the other big sports And whether it is still seen as a sport for the women and played as little league sport?
I think there is a big oversimplification that just cause an hispanic population exists they should 1. be interested in soccer and 2. they would automatically be good at soccer. Outside of Mexico most of the hispanic population comes from countries where baseball is the most popular sport. So it's not really a big surprise when young hispanic athletes in the US choose to play baseball cause that is what their parents played. For Mexican-Americans, every year there is usually a battle to get a player to commit to either to the US or Mexico. Some we win like Ricardo Pepi and others we lose like David Ochoa. Football is also king in Texas and Southern California so Mexican-Americans are funneled towards football. Hell, there are teenagers in Mexican border towns who cross everyday just so they can play football for an American high school.

1990 Arg
We lost vs cameroon
won vs russia
drew vs Romania
won vs brazil
drew vs ita (won on p)
lost to Ger (bs penalty)

Yeh, it shows you don't have to win every game. Being concentrated and compact as a team more important. Momentum and belief built that way.

Just feels like the football Gods don't want Brazil to win a 6th and neither did they want Germany and Italy to win any more for now.

Last edited:
Great to see Croatia advance. Love to see Brazil get thrown out.

I think there is a big oversimplification that just cause an hispanic population exists they should 1. be interested in soccer and 2. they would automatically be good at soccer. Outside of Mexico most of the hispanic population comes from countries where baseball is the most popular sport. So it's not really a big surprise when young hispanic athletes in the US choose to play baseball cause that is what their parents played. For Mexican-Americans, every year there is usually a battle to get a player to commit to either to the US or Mexico. Some we win like Ricardo Pepi and others we lose like David Ochoa. Football is also king in Texas and Southern California so Mexican-Americans are funneled towards football. Hell, there are teenagers in Mexican border towns who cross everyday just so they can play football for an American high school.
Yeh definitely have to have the interest there to begin with. If there isn't as much then those athletes within the Hispanic communities aren't going to go the way of football.

Seems to be the tournament of the favourites going out, England are never really favourites outside a very select few individuals, therefore itscominghome.

Winner of France v England becomes hot hot favourites for me now.

Curse you, why did you have to type this seconds before my message?

Can I see England being disciplined, compact and keeping their shape as well as Croatia did? No. Whenever I have seen England defend deep it spells trouble.

Lionel Messi Soccer GIF by Univision Deportes

Messi time. 3-5-2 for Argentina. Dutch playing 3-4-1-2.

@Cruz_del_Sur feeling confident?

I really like Argentina in rugby but not really a big fan of them in soccer. It's either a nike/Adidas thing or a horizontal stripe vs vertical stripe thing.

yellows for jawing from the bench in this game but the Brazilian who flopped out of nowhere and got nothing is so annoying

Yeh Neymar should have taken first pen - set the tone and calm down Brazil. Easy with hindsight.

Hopefully Southgate has his best one - Kane to take his first if it gets there tomorrow.

Messi first pass was probably the first thing he's done to justify the overhyping he gets from the commentators and pundits. Honestly you'd think he **** gold.

To be clear I'm not saying he's not great, but the way some talk about him every touch is incredible.

Messi first pass was probably the first thing he's done to justify the overhyping he gets from the commentators and pundits. Honestly you'd think he **** gold.

To be clear I'm not saying he's not great, but the way some talk about him every touch is incredible.
But it was a great pass. Under pressure and being able to execute It. The weight of it etc.

Latest posts