• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

4-12-2010: Barbarians vs. Springboks @ Twickenham

Hi, Cassie and welcome.

Hopelik sal Bokkie volgende jaar hierdie tyd weer breebors kan staan. Sou net wou sien dat hy leer hoe om die bal aan te gee..

ek wonder hoeveel mense kan hierso afrikaans praat?

Ek het net 2 jare in Suid Afrika gebly en praat n bietjie Afrikaans maar kan dit baie goed verstaan.

Ek het net 2 jare in Suid Afrika gebly en praat n bietjie Afrikaans maar kan dit baie goed verstaan.

Do you think coming from a dutch speaking background (I'm presuming this from your national flag) has made it easier to pick up Afrikaans?

Just wondering as I spent 2 years in South Korea and managed to pick up a little of the language but not a lot, not enough to have proper conversations but enough to get by (ordering off a menu, shopping, basic conversation etc...)

Well, it is easier because both languages have the same origin. However, it also makes it more difficult because the grammar is completely different and goes against everything I am familiar with from my own language. I spoke Afrikaans after 3 months already but that was mainly because from day 1 I told people not to address me in English but always speak Afrikaans. That plus the fact my wife speaks Afrikaans, made it much easier for me to adapt to the language.

Inteersting how you mention the common origin can mess with you at times.

Earlier this year I went to Spain with a friend who speaks French.

Spanish really messed with his head, whereas I found it quite easy to get the basics down fast, I guess he was having a similar experince to you.

It's true. When you want to learn a language similar to your own, it conflicts with your instincts. It messes with your head. It makes it harder when someone else thinks it would make it easier.

But like I said, it's mostly grammar that just sounds wrong but sometimes the meaning of words too. When I learned French, it was so easy. You start from scratch and everything is new. Perfect example is this:

'naar' in Dutch means being rude, in Afrikaans means feeling nauseous
'misselijk' in Dutch means feeling nauseous, in Afrikaans it means being rude

That plus the spelling of certain words which just looks wrong, causes you to make mistakes an Italian learning Afrikaans wouldn't make

It's true. When you want to learn a language similar to your own, it conflicts with your instincts. It messes with your head. It makes it harder when someone else thinks it would make it easier.

But like I said, it's mostly grammar that just sounds wrong but sometimes the meaning of words too. When I learned French, it was so easy. You start from scratch and everything is new. Perfect example is this:

'naar' in Dutch means being rude, in Afrikaans means feeling nauseous
'misselijk' in Dutch means feeling nauseous, in Afrikaans it means being rude

That plus the spelling of certain words which just looks wrong, causes you to make mistakes an Italian learning Afrikaans wouldn't make

I'd imagine it would be like translating a French page to English with google translator. You can make out the jist of what it's trying to say, but the grammar is very mixed up, and many of the words, which have double meanings, take on the wrong one.

I used to get E's and D's for Afrikaans in school
And the I discovered something that shot my marks up to a B

If you want to say something in Afrikaans, and English is your first language
Simply swap all the words around so that it makes no sense what so ever, and then translate the words

I used to get E's and D's for Afrikaans in school
And the I discovered something that shot my marks up to a B

If you want to say something in Afrikaans, and English is your first language
Simply swap all the words around so that it makes no sense what so ever, and then translate the words

LOL, that makes sense in a weird way. To illustrate:

"Hopelik sal Bokkie volgende jaar hierdie tyd weer breebors kan staan. Sou net wou sien dat hy leer hoe om die bal aan te gee.."

like I 'said' earlier directly translates:

Hopefully will Bokkie next year this time again broadchest can stand. Would just would've seen that he learns how to the ball pass.

Luckily learning English is pretty easy since the world is English. At least in most western socities.

Found one! I am ready for it. Just finished the preview with Thinus Delport. I am curious to see how Lambie and Jantjies will do. Both only 20 years old.

It's only the first 20 minutes bates. I have to say I am disappointed to see them kick for goal in a match like this one.

The Boks are getting dominated in the tight phases
Really dissapointed with choice of kicking for posts, crowd already on their backs

How important will the result in this match be for PdV's position as head coach?

Houggard is having an absolute shocker, knocked on at least 3 timed now
And getting run over and slightly slowing down a prop does not count as a good tackle

How important will the result in this match be for PdV's position as head coach?

It will not have any influence as this is not a test match. It's just a spare game. And he can always say he left some of his starting XV player out of the squad.

I doubt it will matter much
However a big loss certainly will spur the media on, whom will think at least that they smell blood

Latest posts