• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

A great big Munster thread

Just saw that Stander has been dropped to B&I cup squad as Tommy the king of kings O'Donnell returns to some kind of fitness and all I have to say is, what a crock of shut. Honestly CJ Stander is an absolute beast of a man and he isn't been given a chance. Now we have signed Copeland and even a half fit O'Donnell who has played thirty minutes of rugby in a B&I in the past few months has been promoted ahead of him. I think he has the ability to be class, he has the pedigree, but for some reason isn't getting a look in at the top level.
It's inevitable we need to shed some weight in the backrow but I really don't want Stander to walk.

There have been questions asked of Stander's attitude...
Yep there have been al sorts of rumours to that effect, but what I see on the pitch does warrant a selection. He's also come into the firing line for defensive laziness but I still don't see it. I'm thinking that there must be an issue beyond talent in this case.

Just been away so answering re Stander.

His attitude it seems is good in training but at times mixed but (per stats) he's 1 of worst defensively in squad and well that seems to be big factor. Also my personal view is we just don't know where to put him - 6 or 8

Munster playing some lovely rugby atm. Cardiff are pretty bad though.

While the Blues should be ashamed of their second half display, take nothing away from Munster. They were presented with opportunities and took them, ruthlessly running up a score.

Great kicking display by JJ Hanrahan nailing 10/10 shots at goal. Simon Zebo looked electric with ball in hand. James Cronin was excellent off the bench.

While the Blues should be ashamed of their second half display, take nothing away from Munster. They were presented with opportunities and took them, ruthlessly running up a score.

Great kicking display by JJ Hanrahan nailing 10/10 shots at goal. Simon Zebo looked electric with ball in hand. James Cronin was excellent off the bench.

Think we got some things as huge positives.
- Hurley looked at home @12
- Sheridan and Dougall return
- CJ was my MOM at 6
- Cronin as you point out was superb but Killer too and Archer went well.
- As you say Zebo was electric and JJ mixed it beautiful
- Last GVDH really put down a marker for HEC and looks like a serious operator on wing he showed his power but also he has gas and is built.

But as you say Blues were poor. I'd say Copeland can't wait to leave there and again wrong thread but these guys seriously think they'd survive in Aviva

I'm getting a bit worried that with all the back three options available and Laulala leaving next season that Earls is going to end up playing 13 a lot next season.

I'm getting a bit worried that with all the back three options available and Laulala leaving next season that Earls is going to end up playing 13 a lot next season.

Won't happen. I know we are in advanced talks with an NIQ 12/13. I think Earls role will remain same if we get 1 of targets identified. (He will play on wing but in case of injury he can slot to 13).
In saying that I wouldn't fear him at 13 as his skill and upper body strength have improved but with Laulala going and Downey considering retirement we will be getting a NIQ centre, talk of Sheridan from L.Irish, Keatley is looked at for 12, Hurley and Dineen there and few in academy.

Cronin as you point out was superb but Killer too and Archer went well.
To be fair to Stephen Archer, he is showing signs of progress albeit from a low base level. If a prop doesn't reach his peak until he's around 30, at 26 Archer still has plenty of time on his hands to get to a good standard. Rotating him with BJ Botha this season has done him the world of good. At the moment he's around the level of Tony Buckley when the former Newbridge College man made his breakthrough. Hopefully Archer can kick on in ways that Buckley didn't.

The Sunday papers seem to be saying Anthony Foley is a nailed on certainty for the Munster job with Ian Costello being brought promoted to backs coach.

To be fair to Stephen Archer, he is showing signs of progress albeit from a low base level. If a prop doesn't reach his peak until he's around 30, at 26 Archer still has plenty of time on his hands to get to a good standard. Rotating him with BJ Botha this season has done him the world of good. At the moment he's around the level of Tony Buckley when the former Newbridge College man made his breakthrough. Hopefully Archer can kick on in ways that Buckley didn't.

The Sunday papers seem to be saying Anthony Foley is a nailed on certainty for the Munster job with Ian Costello being brought promoted to backs coach.
Won't be Costelloe but probably Howlett, Elwood or Bradley. Costelloe will be skills coach.
Regards Archer I'd agree but say Botha is a super mentor and that will be difference. Buckley was here when there was no coach specifically for scrum. Now Archer had Botha who coaches scrum but also works closely with Archer and the benefits are showing

I thought Paul McCarthy was scrum coach then?

EDIT - a quick google shows that McCarthy was only Munster scrum coach in Buckley's final year.

Yea only in his last year and been honest in my opinion he was brought in more for being from Cork Con than his expertise in scrum. Like it's only in last 2-3years we've recovered ourselves from a horrific scrummaging era

Jesus, the more I hear about it the more I'm convinced that Munster rugby tore itself apart in the years following their Heineken Cup successes. Was it really that tribal?

Jesus, the more I hear about it the more I'm convinced that Munster rugby tore itself apart in the years following their Heineken Cup successes. Was it really that tribal?

Wait what? This is the first I've heard of that?

It seems to me as though complacency set in.

Munster had a very good team from 2000-2005 and a great team from 2006-2009. The Thomond Park upgrade was an investment in the future but the same investment doesn't seem to have been made in improving the playing personnel and managing a transition.

Declan Kidney had a set first team and seemingly little interest in what came behind them - the same criticism of him holds for his reign as Ireland coach. Tony McGahan took over an ageing team with no academy of note and no squad depth. I believe he did a bloody good job given the hand he was dealt and now Rob Penney is taking it up another notch. My hope is that Anthony Foley's impending coronation isn't a backward step by an amateur body (in terms of administration).

Bang on we were at top of game in 2006-2008. But the game moved on and we didn't complacency set in and we only realized it when it was too late. The game against Toulon in pool stages when we missed out on QFs was the biggest eye opener we ever got in terms of how bad our scrum had got. We've slowly clawed our way back but now we have to be careful not to fall back in to that complacency in time again. Even when a team gets to the peak they have to continue to keep evolving and staying ahead of rest.

Good interview with Anthony Foley here:
http://thescore.thejournal.ie/antho...d-coach-1346832-Mar2014/?utm_source=shortlink

"If you don't have the core skills – an ability to run a line, the ability to create space, the ability to put away passes, the ability to tackle, the ability to do breakdown work – there's no point in having an overall philosophy."

Not surprisingly it's Murray Kinsella who has penned the piece. He's fast becoming the best rugby journalist in the country.

Good interview with Anthony Foley here:
http://thescore.thejournal.ie/antho...d-coach-1346832-Mar2014/?utm_source=shortlink

Not surprisingly it's Murray Kinsella who has penned the piece. He's fast becoming the best rugby journalist in the country.

Agreed Kinsella a fine journalist. And have heard he has piece coming up soon on Grenoble and Irish input there. Should be superb piece but am amazed he isn't snapped up yet as his analysis is 1 of best there is.

Also Quentin McDonald makes his debut tomorrow in an A game against a strong Connacht team. We've nice mix too but should be good game

Last edited:

Latest posts