• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

A great big Munster thread

The 42 seem to think they would be allowed play and say a decision is expected to be made tomorrow.
There is a legal loophole.

There is a transfer window in which no new players can play after some date in March, however it says all new signings are free to compete from July 1st. So it a bit of a legal loophole. The issue will be players leaving may have to move on in same way.

Tyler Bleyendaal has retired because of his neck issue. I thought this was coming to be honest but feel awful for the guy! I think he will have a future in rugby after retirement and am sure he will be successful at whatever he does.

Tyler Bleyendaal has retired because of his neck issue. I thought this was coming to be honest but feel awful for the guy! I think he will have a future in rugby after retirement and am sure he will be successful at whatever he does.
Yeah was just waiting for an insurance issue to be finalised before he could retire. A superb player who when fit showed why he was highly rated.

And I will call it here and now. He has another child on the way so won't be returning to New Zealand immediately BUT I will guarantee having spoken to this man daily and seen his views on training fields and in meetings. Don't be surprised to see him have a coaching career that reaches the top. His attention to detail is in the Joe Schmidt levels and he does just have that brain for the game.

Will he be kept on as a coach? With 3 promising 10s in the academy itd be ideal to have a quality backs coach.

have to say I always thought he was the missing link for the last few years. If he had kept full fitness he was an ideal ten. He clearly saw things. Keatley or jj was harem scarem in comparison. My ST is High up halfway in west stand and you could really see how he moved the pieces around like a chessboard. Was never the same after his injury end of rassies season. Seemed to have Good presence

cheers Tyler. Thanks for everything

Will he be kept on as a coach? With 3 promising 10s in the academy itd be ideal to have a quality backs coach.

have to say I always thought he was the missing link for the last few years. If he had kept full fitness he was an ideal ten. He clearly saw things. Keatley or jj was harem scarem in comparison. My ST is High up halfway in west stand and you could really see how he moved the pieces around like a chessboard. Was never the same after his injury end of rassies season. Seemed to have Good presence

cheers Tyler. Thanks for everything
He's already coaching a bit in Garryowen. I could see him being a real asset to a Limerick school if he wanted to go that route for a season.
I agree with you on his play. He was such a breath of fresh air in 2016-2017, unbelievable performance against Glasgow especially and really got our backs going.

If he's going to be as good a coach as rumoured I'd hate to miss out on him. A skills coach could be a good addition

He will unlikely be kept on with us as a coach. He seems to want to go to grass roots and work up. Can see him impact AIL and then return in year or 2.
As has been said he was a lovely player to watch. The year he was fithe showed what a class act he was. People say the Glasgow home game but for me it was all through that season we seen him for being a gifted brain

Sad to hear this, always a quality player who got rotten luck with injuries. For me he wasn't the same player in the last few years but his commitment and dedication to getting back after all he went through in admirable. In another world he's starring for Munster week in week out.

Pity about the injuries but he was always an excellent player even ignoring that and seems like a decent guy too.

" STATEMENT | Munster Rugby have been assisting an Academy player within the wider training squad who has tested positive for Covid-19. The player is continuing to be monitored medically and remains well. He has not been in the HPC this week. "

Not great news on the verge of returning to play. Player wasn't with the senior squad and is in good health, so hopefully this can be stomped out very quickly.

" STATEMENT | Munster Rugby have been assisting an Academy player within the wider training squad who has tested positive for Covid-19. The player is continuing to be monitored medically and remains well. He has not been in the HPC this week. "

Not great news on the verge of returning to play. Player wasn't with the senior squad and is in good health, so hopefully this can be stomped out very quickly.
Is asymptomatic and never trained directly with 1st team. Shouldn't be an issue and more was a positive as it shows the IRFU are on top of it when it comes to protocols and procedures.

Bigger worry is Clare and Limerick cases are now rocketing fast. Kilkee and parts of Kerry are rampant with it and if you tested these parts it may be scary.

JVG has said Munster won't be looking at an injury joker and will appraise the academy boys which is great news. Wycherley will obviously play now, but Ahern is a player worth fast tracking if he's put in the weight that was needed.

Last edited:
Munster continuing to pick a wife variety of players week on week. First competitive starts for Gallagher and Wycherley with Flamnery and Ahern in line from the bench. Knox in for his first of the season. Also chuffed to see O'Sullivan and Barron.

Munster: Matt Gallagher; Calvin Nash, Rory Scannell, Damian de Allende, Darren Sweetnam; JJ Hanrahan, Craig Casey; Josh Wycherley, Kevin O'Byrne, Keynan Knox; Jean Kleyn, Billy Holland (C); Jack O'Donoghue, Chris Cloete, Gavin Coombes.

Replacements: Diarmuid Barron, James Cronin, Stephen Archer, Thomas Ahern, Tommy O'Donnell, Nick McCarthy, Jake Flannery, Jack O'Sullivan.

Which of them do you have your eye on in particular?

Gotta be Kevin O'Byrne surely? In an effort to create the world's hairiest baby.

Good to see Ahern finally getting a run and Casey getting a sustained one. Would like to have seen Hodnett retained but overall positive steps from Munster. Oh and even though it's injury enforced looking forward to seeing Wycherley, he was great at 20s and a large hole is developing at loosehead for Ireland.

Gotta be Kevin O'Byrne surely? In an effort to create the world's hairiest baby.

Good to see Ahern finally getting a run and Casey getting a sustained one. Would like to have seen Hodnett retained but overall positive steps from Munster. Oh and even though it's injury enforced looking forward to seeing Wycherley, he was great at 20s and a large hole is developing at loosehead for Ireland.
Hodnett like many being monitored back after injury but lets remember big run of games.
Wycherley was always in line to play as Killer was expected to be gone with Ireland and Cronin has probably overplayed. If Loughman was fit he'd lighten the load.
Ahern will be good and at least has experience with him when he come on.
Barron is a good hooker and Flannery may just add another option in that back division

Great to see from Casey and Hodnett. Having a 9 who is a sniping threat makes such a difference.

Latest posts