• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

A History Thread

I do like Joolz's guides on YouTube. This one on the history of how Lenin and Stalin came to London to plan the Russian revolution. But he has loads of videos of London and ends the walk in a pub. 😃🍻

Does anyone else think that the Brits are still totally obsessed with WW2? I'd like to see the amount it's taught in schools significantly reduce. Not even proper history in my book, to recent. Plus it's feeds this moronic "2 word wars and 1 World Cup" nationalism. Also, there's so much interesting stuff I wish I would've learnt more about as a kid.

If you open the daily mail/ mail on Saturday/Sunday then yes it would appear certain sections of the media and their readership are still are obsessed with WW2.

Personally I think that is why Germany and Japan progressed economically as nations because they were always looking back.

I recall when I was a secondary school we were only taught the lead up events/causes to WW2 ie the First World War, Great Depression, the rise of Hitler.

I thought WW2 would then be covered at A-level, but it wasn't so I didn't choose it and chose Politics instead as it was more relevant to current events.

This is going back a while so I don't know if they have changed the curriculum.

If you open the daily mail/ mail on Saturday/Sunday then yes it would appear certain sections of the media and their readership are still are obsessed with WW2.

Personally I think that is why Germany and Japan progressed economically as nations because they were always looking back.

I recall when I was a secondary school we were only taught the lead up events/causes to WW2 ie the First World War, Great Depression, the rise of Hitler.

I thought WW2 would then be covered at A-level, but it wasn't so I didn't choose it and chose Politics instead as it was more relevant to current events.

This is going back a while so I don't know if they have changed the curriculum.
Yeah I don't have a clue either to be honest but judging by how much society still romanticises it I can't imagine it's changed to much but I could be talking bollix.

You're never really taught any dodgy British history like the horrible empire stuff or the Irish beef. As you say the Germans owned their **** and are all the better for it.

You're never really taught any dodgy British history like the horrible empire stuff or the Irish beef. As you say the Germans owned their **** and are all the better for it.
This may have been the case a decade a go but just isn't now tbh. Curriculum is quite exhaustive in terms of options for examination - personally did no WW2 but ik it was an option varying by exam boards etc.

I mean WW2 is an extremely important lesson to learn IMO and as said the majrotiy of the lessons is focused on the build up to it not the actual war.
The problem isn't learning it the problem is the spin.

Also I think for me personally it was 1 year on WW1 and another subject and 1 year on WW2 and Great Depression.
A levels I did Mao's China, British Empire and communist Russia with coursework being the Dark ages.

Not to be that guy the people that trump up nationalism are also not likely to be the people who paid attention in class either

We kinda had the same - focused on in between the wars and what led to the Nazis taking power,
The only in-war stuff we did was a module on the Holocaust

Think the only proper WW2 stuff I can remember doing during school was in primary school learning the different types of air raid shelter, reading/watching Goodnight Mr Tom and The Machine Gunners etc.

I mean WW2 is an extremely important lesson to learn IMO and as said the majrotiy of the lessons is focused on the build up to it not the actual war.

Also I think for me personally it was 1 year on WW1 and another subject and 1 year on WW2 and Great Depression.
A levels I did Mao's China, British Empire and communist Russia with coursework being the Dark ages.

Not to be that guy the people that trump up nationalism are also not likely to be the people who paid attention in class either
Yeah we never did any of that **** but I went to a load of **** schools to be fair.

I used to think we should learn from history, I brought into the whole "those that don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it" stuff but now I kinda think that's a load of bollix as we're all a bunch of ***** whether we learn from it or not. I mean, how long have we been teaching history and ain't nothing changed. We still make the same mistakes. Humans gunna human I suppose.

Way back when I did it I think the biggest issues is lack of focus on Empire, atrocities associated with it, involvement to the lead up of WW1 and collapse during and post WW2. That isn't just British Empire it not a self flaggeration.

But due to that the factors into WW1 get missed. And you just end up in triumphalism which is what we are plagued with in this country.

I used to think we should learn from history, I brought into the whole "those that don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it" stuff but now I kinda think that's a load of bollix as we're all a bunch of ***** whether we learn from it or not. I mean, how long have we been teaching history and ain't nothing changed. We still make the same mistakes. Humans gunna human I suppose.
"The only thing we learn from history is that we learn nothing from history" Hegel (famously outconsumed by Hume)

I had the same at GCSE and then A-Levels were all on the The Holy Roman Empire and French/Italian history.

The only solidly British history I did other than that was the English Civil War in my early secondary education.

came across this while not doing my job a couple weeks ago
interesting the brits don't have a national day. I'd go for one of the Scottish and English union days or for the Battle of Hastings.

Are there concerns about not wanting a day until unification? Celebrate unification rather than independence? Maybe don't want a day that could be targeted?

Latest posts