• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

A Political Thread pt. 2

Appearing by video link. But still not coming over to UK? So what is the worst she'll get a suspended sentence?
Does it count as justice if she is found guilty, but doesn't actually get punished? Guess that's for Harry Dunn's family to decide. Certainly fleeing the country means she shouldn't get any leniency if/when she's sentenced, but with no real prospect of extradition is there much point? She's not coming back to the UK ever of her own volition.

Does it count as justice if she is found guilty, but doesn't actually get punished? Guess that's for Harry Dunn's family to decide. Certainly fleeing the country means she shouldn't get any leniency if/when she's sentenced, but with no real prospect of extradition is there much point? She's not coming back to the UK ever of her own volition.
I think at least she is being made accountable for her actions. Even if it is across the pond over a video link - presumably she has the right to remain silent etc during the process but under British law and not US law.

It's also in front of a Magistrates, which IIRC has very limited sentencing powers ie can't pass a custodial sentence. I think they would Need to go up to Crown court for that.

But yes, no chance of her serving any actual time in a UK prison for what she did.

I think at least she is being made accountable for her actions. Even if it is across the pond over a video link - presumably she has the right to remain silent etc during the process but under British law and not US law.

It's also in front of a Magistrates, which IIRC has very limited sentencing powers ie can't pass a custodial sentence. I think they would Need to go up to Crown court for that.

But yes, no chance of her serving any actual time in a UK prison for what she did.
Really can't fathom why the USA have decided to dig their heels in on this one and not extradite her. It's relatively cut and dry case and it's not like some foreign government trying to do a bit of cheap points scoring, it's just basic justice.

Really can't fathom why the USA have decided to dig their heels in on this one and not extradite her. It's relatively cut and dry case and it's not like some foreign government trying to do a bit of cheap points scoring, it's just basic justice.
Because they're big and we're little.
No skin off their nose, and underlies the "you can't tell us what to do"

Because they're big and we're little.
No skin off their nose, and underlies the "you can't tell us what to do"
Still seems pointless, it's not like they would lose face by handing her over or anything. They should have basically no vested interest as she isn't particularly important and this isn't some issue that could directly reflect on the government.

In other news, the Trump administration had apparently been drawing up plans to stay in power including one where the national guard of all states were mobilised, but under the control of Trump and then made to oversee a recount of the "legal" votes, as determined by election officials appointed by Trump. The fact they were even discussing such ideas, no matter how incredible or unlikely they were to happen, should itself be extremely worrying. Trump genuinely is seeking the destruction of the US democratic system and it seems many support his desire to impose a dictatorship where he determines which votes count. This is genuine sedition at best...

Imagine what happens if somehow Trump wins, now with a bunch of batshit insane autocratic Republicans behind him... It could genuinely be the death of the country.

Pretty sure a magistrates court can give custodial sentences

265816826_470184634476627_6902723079751439562_n.jpg

Pretty sure a magistrates court can give custodial sentences
Up to one year I belive.

6 months for a single office and 12 months in total. Been a while since I covered this, but was just going by memory of their limited sentencing powers. Still, would be a disgrace if they sentenced her to 6 months suspended sentence regardless for that offence. But again a moot point if she is unlikely ever going to serve it.

What is it about politicians that makes them **** up so hard?

Biden scraped a win by the skin of his teeth and then almost immediately does something to **** off large swathes of people who held their nose and voted for him.
He didn't even need to fully cancel student debt, just slashing the insane interest rates would buy him some good will

Republicans are going to cruise to victory next time round

What is it about politicians that makes them **** up so hard?

Biden scraped a win by the skin of his teeth and then almost immediately does something to **** off large swathes of people who held their nose and voted for him.
He didn't even need to fully cancel student debt, just slashing the insane interest rates would buy him some good will

Republicans are going to cruise to victory next time round
And when republicans are in power, they will kill the investigation, speed up to prices of rigging the system and 2024 will be very worrying. Many dictatorships were voted in...

Over 100 Tory idiots vote against measures to stop people from dying. A large proportion will likely just be giving Johnson the middle finger for the past few months knowing it would pass anyway with opposition support. Hell of a blow to the PM though.

Did Blaie ever have a rebellion with his stupidly large majorities that required votes from other parties? I know he had some big ones.

Over 100 Tory idiots vote against measures to stop people from dying. A large proportion will likely just be giving Johnson the middle finger for the past few months knowing it would pass anyway with opposition support. Hell of a blow to the PM though.

Did Blaie ever have a rebellion with his stupidly large majorities that required votes from other parties? I know he had some big ones.
They've done suuuuuper well at stopping people from dying in Scotland tbf...

Latest posts