• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

A Political Thread pt. 2

For me a big difference as well is he posted this online. If he had said it in private, while it wouldn't make what he said acceptable, I would agree that people say things in private they may regret. However he made this public and therefore it's the same as saying it publicly anywhere, where people can hear you.

For me a big difference as well is he posted this online. If he had said it in private, while it wouldn't make what he said acceptable, I would agree that people say things in private they may regret. However he made this public and therefore it's the same as saying it publicly anywhere, where people can hear you.
Public and haven't had the good sense to remove them and despite any very likely social media clause in his contracts not deleted or declared them.

Private has its issues as well though less if he said it out loud but if its in a WhatsApp group or something.

It wouldn't be out the realms of possibility he's in one with a couple of his Sussex mates. Robinson made some casually racist remarks in regards to Jofra Archer when he was selected for the world cup (PoC player, slightly controversial parachute into world cup team after qualifying to play for England). Now it's probably unlikely they do exist but the ECB have to make sure they dont otherwise they run the risk of his Sussex make selling them for a few bob to The Sun and it coming out in the next match he plays.

As an ethnic minority casual racism hidden as Banter is some of the worst, especially from peeps I have known.

I Don't know this Ollie Robinson as I don't follow cricket that closely, but yes from reading the type of tweets he's put up it's typical of just downright ignorance and being too young when posted them and a lack of forethought/foresight that it could later come back to haunt him in public.

As an ethnic minority casual racism hidden as Banter is some of the worst, especially from peeps I have known.

I Don't know this Ollie Robinson as I don't follow cricket that closely, but yes from reading the type of tweets he's put up it's typical of just downright ignorance and being too young when posted them and a lack of forethought/foresight that it could later come back to haunt him in public.
The strange thing about this conversation apart from a few people I don't think anyone is saying its likely anything more than that. I don't think anyone is really arguing over what will likely be his eventual punishment. Its simply an argument that whilst the ECB conducts the investigation if he should be suspended from playing until that investigation is complete.

It should be noted the next match starts Thursday and the last one finished Sunday evening. So 3 days is probably not enough time to conduct a fair investigation.

The strange thing about this conversation apart from a few people I don't think anyone is saying its likely anything more than that. I don't think anyone is really arguing over what will likely be his eventual punishment. Its simply an argument that whilst the ECB conducts the investigation if he should be suspended from playing until that investigation is complete.

It should be noted the next match starts Thursday and the last one finished evening. So 3 days is probably not enough time to conduct a fair investigation.

For me it's not about "punishing" him for stupid tweets he posted years ago. It's that he truly understands what those tweets meant and how casual racism and sexism can have such a big effect. There's no way of truly knowing if he still privately holds those views.

There are plenty of idiots like him who still hold those views and will tweet them/voice them to their circle in private. i agree with John Barnes that Racism and sexism is a reflection of society we live in. I don't think we will totally get rid of it, although as Steve Hansen said we can always strive to be better at being better people and understanding and challenge it where it exists.

But I appreciate that the ECB need to be seen to be doing something about it.

For me it's not about "punishing" him for stupid tweets he posted years ago. It's that he truly understands what those tweets meant and how casual racism and sexism can have such a big effect. There's no way of truly knowing if he still privately holds those views.

There are plenty of idiots like him who still hold those views and will tweet them/voice them to their circle in private. i agree with John Barnes that Racism and sexism is a reflection of society we live in. I don't think we will totally get rid of it, although as Steve Hansen said we can always strive to be better at being better people and understanding and challenge it where it exists.

But I appreciate that the ECB need to be seen to be doing something about it.
On a more grander scale I do think the ECB do need to be seen to doing stuff and its important for combating racism/sexism and the more "casual" kind seen in those tweets. It wasn't acceptable that he said it and if you get caught even years later without acknowledging you were wrong before being caught you will be punished however minorly. Instead we have some sections of society that are more interested in being outraged that he's being punished than asking why we are happy to brush comments made by youngsters under the carpet in general.

I look back to my very early 20's to a comment I made, I'd made it various times over the year about how funny it was Gandalf was played by a gay man. A friend who's about 10 years older than me called me out on it along the lines of "no its not funny and if you think I'd find that kind of funny you need to reassess your opinion of me", actually being called out it did make me realise it wasn't funny at all and I couldn't even work why I did think it was funny. Probably made me reassess what in general found funny.

Now I'm not talking about in Robinson but it would be far better to tell people of that age this **** isn't funny and never acceptable. Rather than the 'ah young people say stupid ****' brushing under the carpet people the fact they shouldn't of said it in the first place.

...not sure unlawful really means anything to this government.

Nothing will be done about corruption because ultimately Britain is a corrupt country. We are the money laundering capital of the world and the whole system stinks. Nationalism overrides all concerns, including that of good and open governance now.

We are getting into boy who cried wolf territory. Johnson has reneged on everything he has signed with the EU since he became PM, he ****** about before that as foreign secretary, he has also lied to the people of this country. He has a history of lying and being kicked out of positions twice for lying. He is a serial liar and his government is the same.

Given the government's record of constant lies and not honouring anything that is said or signed, how can anyone expect that this will be resolved? Clearly any agreement is not worth the paper it is written on and the UK government seems to believe it can just unilaterally tear up anything it signed without consequence. Of course when the other side (usually the EU) then takes retaliatory action, the UK government play victim and go "see!? This is why we had to leave the EU dictatorship!" For many in Britain the idea of sovereignty seems to have been interpreted as we can do whatever the **** we want, we don't have to honour any agreements and we can go full on bull in a china shop, bring back the empire attitude.

We cannot continue like this, it will end up isolating us internationally. Even if by some miracle we are actually in the right in a dispute, chances are we would have already ****** off every other party so won't be able to make any headway anyway.

'Someone made a good comment in the TLDR video. 'Sausage Wars' is nothing more than British propaganda to make it look like the EU is being childish and petulant over meat, when really it is about Britain honouring the deal it signed and the EU protecting the single market.

Latest posts