• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

A Political Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I read somewhere that the amount of Gerrymandering in the US is equivalent to about a 4% swing to Republicans nationwide. That is quite a staggering figure and they said that Republicans will use boundary changes as a method to secure their own position more than Democrats would, hence the current situation.

Thoughts on James Gunn situation?
This very long article sums up my opinion. I appreciate moviebob is a controversial figure.

https://moviebobcentral.com/2018/07/23/on-james-gunn/

In addition it's not like Frankie Boyle is not an incredibly popular comedian for the kind of utter crap jokes Gunn use to peddle.

We need to stop the hysteria about every thing and pick the real battles like Weinstein and #metoo

Both sides have weaponsised to a huge detriment of political discourse. And now to point they are getting people fired over it because the extremes are starting whip it up to get they want....words fail me.

Last edited:

Not really surprising is it? What employer or venture would want to be publicly associated with that kind of stuff, even if it was a while ago? He was over 40 when he wrote them so should have known better regardless of prevailing climate.

Social media's lethal - hit send in anger and it's out there, regardless of how you intended it to read. And it's not just your mates who see it, current and prospective employers and government agencies use google too.......As with e-mail content, you shouldn't say anything on twitter, facebook etc that you wouldn't be prepared to stand behind.

Not really surprising is it? What employer or venture would want to be publicly associated with that kind of stuff, even if it was a while ago? He was over 40 when he wrote them so should have known better regardless of prevailing climate.
Yes but....

The tweets were 10 years old, they came out into wider public light 6 years ago, was reported on in major news outlets when he was employed by Disney doing exactly the same work he is now. He apologised then said it was beyond that sense of humour now and has since acted in every way to the good of that apology. Read the article I linked, the entire thing stinks to high heaven and is all about the alt-right taking out a visible anti-Trump critic by creating a media storm about something already dealt with in the past. Its not even a conspiracy theory this is actually what happened.

Just about every comedian has tasteless joke in their repertoire in fact it was precisely that off-kilter vibe that he was originally hired by Disney for.

Basically using the left against themselves really.
Trevor Noah also getting a similar thing.

Last edited:

Social media's lethal - hit send in anger and it's out there, regardless of how you intended it to read. And it's not just your mates who see it, current and prospective employers and government agencies use google too.......As with e-mail content, you shouldn't say anything on twitter, facebook etc that you wouldn't be prepared to stand behind.
Remember watching Have I got news for you and Jennifer Saunders had a couple of jokes about Jimmy Savell. As far as I am aware she wasn't sacked and rightly so.

We all tell or text the odd couple of close to the bone jokes. Sacking someone for doing something very similar just because they are in the public eye is very dishonest and more than a little hypocritical. These witch hunts need to stop because we all do things when we are a bit younger that we look back on and think are stupid. The lose your job 11 years after posting some joke on twitter is frankly pathetic and I hope the people responsible end up getting ****** over in a similar fashion.

Holy ****! The Who Is America clips I'd seen so far were fairly lame, but this is the Sasha Baron Cohen I expect.

This one just makes me feel sorry for the guy.

The thing is is that it does nothing to Trump's poll numbers at home. In fact his supporters love him for these kind of threats. Until he's voted out in 2 years time or finishes his 2 terms this is what the world has to get used to.

November mid terms will let us know more, but it looks like these kind of threats will be par for the course until he leaves office.
If you care about world peace, recent history has shown it's the "centrist" Western humanitarians you need to watch out for. We know Trump is an admirer of Reagan. Reagan was another guy the left constantly freaked out about because of his rhetoric, but we've had few Presidents post WWII who ended up less bellicose than Reagan. I think Trump will end up the same. One thing that really makes me trust him regarding foreign policy is that he's surrounded himself with career military men from humble backgrounds in the important defense and diplomatic posts. These aren't career think tank / government, Ivy League people who have been thinking up plans to save the 3rd world since they were 20. These are people that know the facts of how different cultures operate based on hard, first hand experience, and they aren't going to throw US military lives away carelessly. Remember, Trump was skeptical of the Iraq war when it started, and ran as an opponent of unnecessary adventures. That said, he did name two big US military enemies consistently during the campaign: ISIS and Iran.

I don't generally think people should be fired for jokes, but I think it's fair game if you've previously called for people to be fired. Gunn defended the firing of Rosanne, who had the number 1 tv show in America. And obviously Trevor Noah makes a living acting holier than thou each night about racism.

I read somewhere that the amount of Gerrymandering in the US is equivalent to about a 4% swing to Republicans nationwide. That is quite a staggering figure and they said that Republicans will use boundary changes as a method to secure their own position more than Democrats would, hence the current situation.
The only written law requiring a gerrymander benefits black Democrats. Certain states are required to draw majority minority districts. Both sides use gerrymandering. The reason Republicans benefit right now is that in most states district lines are drawn by state legislatures. There are currently 32 Republican controlled state legislatures, 14 Democrat, and 4 split. How are district lines drawn in the UK? I'm not sure I'd trust an "independent" committee, and I definitely don't want the judiciary drawing them.
First past the post with open party primaries is a better system than proportional representation because in our system you can vote out the leadership of either party from both the right and left. Keeps them at least a bit more honest.

I don't generally think people should be fired for jokes, but I think it's fair game if you've previously called for people to be fired. Gunn defended the firing of Rosanne, who had the number 1 tv show in America. And obviously Trevor Noah makes a living acting holier than thou each night about racism.
Ah the idiocy of false equivalency.

James Gunn got fired for tweets made 10 years ago that were poor taste jokes. In the following 10 year he has not engaged in that humour again.
Roseanne Barr got fired for a tweet she made that day that were out and out racist. And has made tweets of that ilk pertually before and since.

There's a difference, plus theres a false narrative here.

Rosanne was fired before the outrage **** storm had even begun to molify the first most of it was after she was fired. There were calls for her never to be hired in the first place because she's a racist but again that was due to actions she was committing in the present. One imagines part of her ABC contract was reign it in but that failed dismally.

Gunn well most first who had heard of fIring was after the fact. But he was going on for nearly 48 hours before he was fired. Again Disney had already handled this controversy 6 years ago and didn't require firing then.

There's also the fact Roseanne's cast and crew members did not come out to bat for her at all either extremely silent or just reflect at their disappointment the show was canceled as a result (now a spin off without Roseanne is being made). Gunn cast and crew well some have vague but they appear to be supporting Gunn and some are extremely vocal this is bullshit. Kind of a good reflection on the person.

But yeah other than that it's completely the same situation.

Yeah, I'm allowed to not feel sorry for the guy when he's clearly the type of lefty who loves shutting down anybody to the right of Ellen DeGeneres.

As for Roseanne, the tweet was not clearly racist. The most obvious explanation is that Valarie Jarrett's weird plastic surgery had made her look like one of the characters from the original Planet of the Apes. Roseanne says she wasn't even aware that Ms. Jarrett was black. She does look more Middle Eastern than black. Here Wiki says she has more white ancestry than black, which explains her look. She was born in Iran, and the conspiracies around her always involved being the alleged Muslim influence behind Trump. If I remember correctly Roseanne is a conspiracy theorist, so it's reasonable to assume that she thought Ms. Jarrett was not black.

What's the deal with Hollywood liberals and kiddie jokes? Apparently the other Rick and Morty creator has tweeted a drawing of Barron Trump with his dick out. These jokes are just weird, not funny.

In happier news, after todays Georgia Republican primary, here's the GOP candidate.

As for Roseanne, the tweet was not clearly racist.
tenor.gif

Yeah, I'm allowed to not feel sorry for the guy when he's clearly the type of lefty who loves shutting down anybody to the right of Ellen DeGeneres.

As for Roseanne, the tweet was not clearly racist. The most obvious explanation is that Valarie Jarrett's weird plastic surgery had made her look like one of the characters from the original Planet of the Apes. Roseanne says she wasn't even aware that Ms. Jarrett was black. She does look more Middle Eastern than black. Here Wiki says she has more white ancestry than black, which explains her look. She was born in Iran, and the conspiracies around her always involved being the alleged Muslim influence behind Trump. If I remember correctly Roseanne is a conspiracy theorist, so it's reasonable to assume that she thought Ms. Jarrett was not black.

What's the deal with Hollywood liberals and kiddie jokes? Apparently the other Rick and Morty creator has tweeted a drawing of Barron Trump with his dick out. These jokes are just weird, not funny.

In happier news, after todays Georgia Republican primary, here's the GOP candidate.

Ha! Would love to see him try and round up illegal immigrants! Blokes ******* clueless. Do Americans really vote for idiots like this?

Ha! Would love to see him try and round up illegal immigrants! Blokes ******* clueless. Do Americans really vote for idiots like this?
Well, he just won the final round of the Republican primary. We will see how he does in the general. Here's a guy who ran in the first round, but didn't do well.

Republican primaries can be a gold mine for great campaign commercials.

For context, Georgia is a state that's probably fated to switch Democratic next generation due to demographic change, so I assume the immigration issue is a big deal for conservatives locally.

Well, he just won the final round of the Republican primary. We will see how he does in the general. Here's a guy who ran in the first round, but didn't do well.

Republican primaries can be a gold mine for great campaign commercials.

For context, Georgia is a state that's probably fated to switch Democratic next generation due to demographic change, so I assume the immigration issue is a big deal for conservatives locally.

The whole dry load with a pump action shotgun is also very cheesy. Even with the restrictions in the UK I could still buy that firearm he was holding. If any guns went back it would be the hand guns and sports rifles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts