A Political Thread

Discussion in 'The Clubhouse Bar' started by Draggs, Jan 14, 2015.

1. Steve-o

Steve-o Bench Player

Country Flag:

South Africa

Club or Nation:

South Africa

Okay so 1 out of the 4 or so who replied

2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. ncurd

ncurd International

Country Flag:

England

Club or Nation:

Bath

I think you read what you wanted to read, nobody supported him committing those acts they don't have to explicitly call them racist. Anyone with half a brain knows blackface is racist act and if they are saying he was wrong in doing it they are calling it our for what it is.

On your 'further evidence', I can find tons of recent examples where the like of Johnson and Trump have shown sympathy towards racism and racists. Can you find further evidence of 'Trudeau' being a racist or sympathising with those views?

I think you'll find the left wouldn't have much time for it aka 'see Ken Livingstone'.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Steve-o

Steve-o Bench Player

Country Flag:

South Africa

Club or Nation:

South Africa

We'll have to agree to disagree in that case.

5. ncurd

ncurd International

Country Flag:

England

Club or Nation:

Bath

So you come to this thread, accuse it of being an echo chamber and when someone engages with you reasonably, you run off.....

• Like Like x 1
  6. Steve-o

Steve-o Bench Player

Country Flag:

South Africa

Club or Nation:

South Africa

I'm not running off. I've explained why my point was proven. I never said echo chamber. I could care less about the mob on here jumping up and down about Trump and Johnson all day. I think all politicians are dodgy.

I challenged a poster who said that the left and right hold different standards. They don't. They are both bias.

7. TRF_Olyy

TRF_Olyy English Arrogance

Country Flag:

England

Club or Nation:

Sale

That's not what holding different standards means, though.

8. ncurd

ncurd International

Country Flag:

England

Club or Nation:

Bath

You've failed on at least two levels,

On a very basic level you haven't provided an example where someone on the left was held to a lower standard than someone on the right. You just provided an example of someone on the 'left' being in the wrong where is the person on the 'right' being condemned for similar histories and similar position of power?

You claim bias (separate from standards) to why some are pointed out but not others but when pointed out that your example that the Canadian Prime Minister is of a global presence lesser then the President of the USA therefore gets less scrutiny overall you refuse to even engage with it.

Your point isn't even close to proven except you want to claim victory where there is none.

9. ragerancher

ragerancher First XV

Country Flag:

England

Club or Nation:

Bath

Er no we haven't, nobody here has defended Trudeau's actions. Fewer have branded him a racist because his actions recently have indicated he is anything but a racist. If anything people such as yourself on the right complain that he is always apologising and too PC, you can't have it both ways (although as this thread is pointing out, you seem to like to try.) Ultimately it looked like a stupid action from when he was much younger and not something that is part of a repeated trend. Was it wrong? Yes. Was it stupid? Yes. Was it racist? Yes. Do I think Trudeau now is a racist for an apparently isolated incident years ago? No.

No politician on the right would get close to that benefit of the doubt? Excuse me? Are you walking around with your eyes and ears closed? Just look at the right wing and their base and see just how many actions they excuse. We aren't even talking racist comments now, we are talking about getting the benefit of the doubt for criminal activity so don't give that complete bullshit. You are proof of the massive double standard in that you aren't even aware of the massive free rein your own side gives right wing politicians.

Let's go through a list of things the right wing have claimed was fine:

Russian election rigging
    Trumps sexist talk
    Attacks on the media
    Physical attacks on people at Trump rallies
    Campaign finance fraud
    Charity fraud
    Cheating on your wife whilst she died of cancer
    Separating children from their parents
    Entrapment and false imprisonment
    Stacking the supreme court
    Lying under oath
    Falsely claiming Ukraine interfered in the elections
    Multiple investigations into Benghazi
    Threatening to lock up political opponents
    Threatening violence against political opponents
    Dismissing the threat of white supremacists
    Various white supremacist terrorist actions
    Stacking the supreme court
    Sexual abuse
    Abusing gold star families
    Abusing a dead senator and war veteran
    Double standard with the amount of golfing
    Double standards with use of executive orders
    Blocking giving testimony to the legal process of impeachment
    Witness harassment
    Offering pardons to criminal acquaintances
    Interfering in the elections of allies
    Ruining relations with said allies
    Destroying the 2 state solution between Israel and Palestine
    Rigging state elections
    Using dodgy voting machines
    MadM gerrymandering
    Voter suppression reactive

Let's add stuff from the uk
    Breaching campaign finance with brexit
    Writing false claims on the side of a bus
    Having 2 transfers of pm after whining about it under Blair and brown
    Posing as fact centersc
    Dodging debate and media scrutiny
    Not turning up to international events
    Lying about his relations
    Man handling an opposition member on camera
    Racist comments he had not apologised for
    A false web page for the Labour manifesto

All of this many of the right have turned a blind eye too so how the hell can you sit there and claim there is no double standard!? Had anyone in the left got away with all that, or even a fraction!?

Need I ******* go on!?

• Like Like x 4
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
  10. ragerancher

ragerancher First XV

Country Flag:

England

Club or Nation:

Bath

Oh and of course

Sean Spicer lying about the inauguration crowd size despite being proven wrong
    Kellyanne Conway "alternative facts"
    The entire "fake news" thing
    The Republican opposition to Ilhan Omar saying she should be hanged
    The death threats to various Democrats
    The farcical press briefings with Sarah Sanders, which were drastically reduced
    Russian media being allowed into a meeting between the president and Russians but no US media allowed
    Russian media being given access to parts of the WH that are off limits normally
    Trump giving Putin state secrets
    Trump declassifying information at will
    Trump sabotaging the climate change accords
    Trump sabotaging the Iranian nuclear deal

I mean bloody hell, the man still has roughly 50% approval and you want to claim the right wing aren't applying a double standard!? Look at how they treated Obama and look at what Trump has done in comparison. How in God's name can you claim they are being held to the same standard!? Can you point to things Obama did that even come close to what Trump and the right wing have done recently? Shouldn't the fact the list is so long I even forgot bits from the earlier days be a massive bloody clue?

Oh and dismantling the healthcare arrangements and giving a massive tax break to the wealthiest whilst raising taxes on the poorest and ballooning the deficit (remember when that was a problem when Obama was doing it? Nope?)

And Trump demanding Obama's birth certificate
    Trump refusing to release his tax returns

FFS man. This was just all off the top of my head! I haven't even bothered googling anything yet. There's likely still more I've forgotten.

11. themole25

themole25 First XV

Club or Nation:

Western Province

yeah but her emails.

(please ignore that the bush administration did the same exact thing and multiple members of trumps inner circle have been discussing official business nonsecure servers)

• Like Like x 1
  12. TRF_Olyy

TRF_Olyy English Arrogance

Country Flag:

England

Club or Nation:

Sale

• Like Like x 4
  13. Gavin

Gavin First XV

Country Flag:

Former Soviet Union

Club or Nation:

Barbarians

Swinson didn't do particularly well with Andrew Neil tonight. Her voting record and ambition to cancel Brexit the biggest points.

However even bigger news it seems is the fact that Jeremy Corbyn doesn't watch the Queen's Speech. Seen some commentators ridicule him for not watching it (though to be fair he goes to the local homeless shelter).

14. scotty507

scotty507 First XV

Club or Nation:

Exeter

Right so firstly i dont follow politics at all really, just the basics but seriously my question is how do these parties look at all their members and come up with Boris/Corbyn...that is the guy run this country....

In America all their presidencial candidates seem to come accross as powerful or least likable. I cant remember anyone of our priministers who looked like a world leader or powerful or someone you like and trust.

What is wrong with our country? Im not by any means saying America is perfect i mean Trump got in but alot of previous ones.

I always joked before to my wife, i said god i hope Boris Johnson wins just to see BoJo and trump together and see how long till they start a new war.

Just to finish and reiterate i know extreamly little about politics and i could be being an idiot but someone who must kind of see some logic in it :)

15. ncurd

ncurd International

Country Flag:

England

Club or Nation:

Bath

I dunno I just watched this clip on her voting record and she does as well as reasonably possible. She can't change her or the LD voting record from coalition years. I understand why some consider it too much black mark against them (personal opinion is they need to hold their noses in LD/Con marginals) but in those instances there is nothing she could say to change their mind.

https://twitter.com/BBCPolitics/status/1202287248701624322

Here's the question, you said she did badly what could she of said different?

16. Which Tyler

Which Tyler First XV

Country Flag:

England

Club or Nation:

Bath

Well, at least no-one ever accused Pasty Cockwoble of having any morality, or love of accountability: https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/boris-johnson-shuts-down-press-21024829
    I'm sorry, but we've reached the stage where any vote for the conservatives is a vote in favour of moral bankruptcy and against the interests of 99.9% of the country

• Like Like x 1
  17. ncurd

ncurd International

Country Flag:

England

Club or Nation:

Bath

18. Tallshort

Tallshort International

Country Flag:

Poland

Club or Nation:

Leicester

I personally thought she did better than Corbyn and Cranky, will be interesting to see how Farage gets on, Neil is very much a details man so I can see him pulling apart a lot of Farage's statements.

19. ncurd

ncurd International

Country Flag:

England

Club or Nation:

Bath

That's what Neil has been very good at in the past year and why Johnson won't do him he got completely bamboozled by trying to act as if he knew details earlier this year when people were paying less attention to Neil interviews.

Last time Farage got properly skeward was against James O'Brien who asked all the hard questions and where his statements were clearly ********. Think he'll try bluster and talking over him.

• Like Like x 1
  20. ragerancher

ragerancher First XV

Country Flag:

England

Club or Nation:

Bath

21. MarkyH

MarkyH Bench Player

Country Flag:

England

The Room Next Door guy is brilliant! That's all :)

Enjoyed this thread? Register to post your reply - click here!