• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

A Political Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well the claims were that there would be miles of traffic jams, people would be dying from lack of drugs and the rest of us would be starving through lack of Spanish olives.
And I'll point we are still a year away from any of that happening. Currently we are still on EU trade rules.

Anyway none of that was part of project fear and is revisionist history as during EU referendum nobody was talking about no deal. It only started to get suggested after a vote to leave was won as the only true Brexit.

For me whether you voted to leave for sovereignty reasons, financial reasons, immigration reasons etc... it is all an example of British selfishness and a stubborn attempt to cling onto an identity that is best left in the past. We are no longer plucky Britain standing up to foreign powers who would invade us, we're a struggling economy that looks backwards in a age of globalisation and cooperation. Almost every developed nation in the world is part of a trading bloc where they all get the same treatment and we want to stick ourselves on the outside and hope we can negotiate better terms with these countries than they have for being part of these blocs. It's not going to happen. We'll get trade deals, but we are in the weaker position and other countries know it. They might want trade deals, but we need it.

Also no matter whether you cling to the ideal of Brexit as some holy grail, nobody can deny that the last 3 years have been a joke and that the British people have been thoroughly lied to and misled. If you choose to ignore it then that's your choice, but you cannot pretend that the Brexit negotiated is the Brexit that was promised at the referendum and what was promised was never feasible. We now go into the negotiations for the future relationship with key businesses already being told they will be badly affected. Yes Brexiteers have finally got their Brexit, but personally I think their celebrations are premature and will be short lived.

Brexit - a vote against austerity but blaming the EU for the policies of the Conservative government

In a perverse sort of way I hope the Tories are in power for the next ten years so that they can fully own Brexit and be held accountable for the consequences. I would love for there to some kind of independent body that measures the progress/success of Brexit with economic data and stats but we know from the recent General Election that politics is broken and parties, particularly the Tories, can lie and spin their way into power and blame anyone but themselves for anything that goes wrong.

I'm lucky having dual nationality and as long as Sweden stays in the EU then I'm relatively Brexit proof.

Wishful thinking that any hardships from brexit won't be slung at the EU/remainers/Labours feet

In a perverse sort of way I hope the Tories are in power for the next ten years so that they can fully own Brexit and be held accountable for the consequences. I would love for there to some kind of independent body that measures the progress/success of Brexit with economic data and stats but we know from the recent General Election that politics is broken and parties, particularly the Tories, can lie and spin their way into power and blame anyone but themselves for anything that goes wrong.

I'm lucky having dual nationality and as long as Sweden stays in the EU then I'm relatively Brexit proof.

The electorate ie you me , no need for nowt else.
The people decide like it or not.

Strangely intrigued watching the live stream from the Leave Event in London.

Cheers when videos of Margaret Thatcher appear on the big screen - they do realise she was pro-EU?

Last edited:
Strangely intrigued watching the live stream from the Leave Event in London.

Cheers when videos of Margaret Thatcher appear on the big screen - they do realise she was pro-EU?

There are a lot of half ****** cretins out tonight draped in union jacks who have no idea what they voted for.

wishing the worst on the most vulnerable in order for your political opponents to look bad is a bad way to view the world. I doubt your heart is in that place, but just remember that the losers of any Conservative policy will be those that can least afford to lose.

wishing the worst on the most vulnerable in order for your political opponents to look bad is a bad way to view the world. I doubt your heart is in that place, but just remember that the losers of any Conservative policy will be those that can least afford to lose.

"Wishing the wort on the most vulnerable". Talk about putting words in my mouth and misrepresenting the point I was trying to make. That's poor and cheap.

Last edited:
Oh dear. "Wishing the wort on the most vulnerable". Talk about putting words in my mouth. I think you missed where I was coming from.
"For the consequences". . . I mean what else would those consequences be?

I acknowledged that I don't think you are coming from a bad place, but you can't have one thing without the other.

"For the consequences". . . I mean what else would those consequences be?

I acknowledged that I don't think you are coming from a bad place, but you can't have one thing without the other.

Economic consequences. The Bank of England (your equivalent of the Fed Reserve) has cut it's growth forecast as a result of Brexit. Multinational companies are already relocating their EMEA HQ offices from the UK because they'd rather have a presence within an EU country. The European Medicines Agency has already moved from London to Amsterdam. I don't wish hardship on anybody but these events are costing jobs and are happening already.

Last edited:
Like Terry Christian?

I wasn't familiar with his views but copied his idiotic tweet below. There is a world of difference between 1. Offering an opinion on the actual/potential economic consequences of Brexit and hoping for political accountability and 2. Actually willing economic hardship on individuals who voted for Brexit. Christian and I are in very different camps.

"Brexiteers deserve all the job losses and hardship heading their and their family's way. All those tough Christmases ahead for their kids, all their "short-term pain. But I will get behind it in future… by buying a Big Issue off the pitiable saps."

Last edited:
For me Britain is personally still quite a racist place (despite what Laurence Fox says). Maybe not as openly as some other countries, but there is definitely areas and groups throughout the country who aren't overtly racist, but are more subtle about it. However it did feel that were the minority or at least did not feel confident enough to express those feelings publicly. However that's changed since the Brexit vote and racism has increased at football matches and elsewhere across the country. Hate crimes are up and foreigners do not feel as welcome in this country as they used to. Racists now feel they have a license to be more vocal and active in their bigotry and that is a direct result of slogans such as 'taking our country back' and campaigns to limit immigrants and foreigners. We now have this sign posted up in some Norwich flats and while it may only be the work of 1 or 2 people who do not represent everyone, the fact that they feel confident enough to do this should show how shameful things have become and that our nationalism and sovereignty will come at the expense of innocent people who only wanted to make a good life for themselves here.

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...gZMPpgfYJ0c2Q9vgsVtgYz6FEY#Echobox=1580643359

Ironic that the person who wrote that message can't even spell "the the Queens English". (Sic) :rolleyes:

The individual who wrote that notice was brave enough to put it up but not quite brave enough to sign it or put their name to it.

Unfortunately we will probably see more examples of self appointed Brexit police thinking they are entitled to dream up such rules in a post Brexit Britain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts