• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

A Political Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Fox news is on the right (with their conservative, republican focused news) and CNN is on the left with their democrat, liberal focused news, who in America caters for the centrists? Is there such a thing such as a centrist in America?
There are various examples of this image its fairly accurate. As noted most people on the divide don't actually understand what centrist is and accuse it of being part of the other side.

Media-Bias-Chart_Version-3.1_Watermark-min.jpg

It's staggering the level of voter suppression the USA and how corrupt the system is when they consider themselves the bastion of democracy.

- Presidents elected who lost the popular vote
- Shameless gerrymandering
- Discriminatory voter ID laws
- Postal laws for natives
- Voting machines without power cables all were sent to predominantly Democrat areas in Georgia
- The man responsible for setting up how the Georgian election would be run doesn't have to resign his seat prior to running in the election he has basically rigged for himself.

It's actually laughable. Also now the republicans have increased their number of governors, they are going to use the 10 year census as a way to just rig the system even more.

There are various examples of this image its fairly accurate. As noted most people on the divide don't actually understand what centrist is and accuse it of being part of the other side.

Media-Bias-Chart_Version-3.1_Watermark-min.jpg
Thanks this is a very useful graph and it answers my question very well.

If Fox news is on the right (with their conservative, republican focused news) and CNN is on the left with their democrat, liberal focused news, who in America caters for the centrists? Is there such a thing such as a centrist in America?
my news comes mainly from npr, wall street journal, or new york times

i don't read much local news cause there ain't a lot going on in north carolina (still pretty happy that I moved here though)

those sources are pretty fact heavy and i'm on the far left of american political spectrum... i don't need the news to be spun for me i can do that myself lol

those sources are pretty fact heavy and i'm on the far left of american political spectrum... i don't need the news to be spun for me i can do that myself lol
Its interesting that you say this because IMO the majority of people choose media and social media in line with their beliefs as a form of self-affirmation.

It's staggering the level of voter suppression the USA and how corrupt the system is when they consider themselves the bastion of democracy.

- Presidents elected who lost the popular vote
- Shameless gerrymandering
- Discriminatory voter ID laws
- Postal laws for natives
- Voting machines without power cables all were sent to predominantly Democrat areas in Georgia
- The man responsible for setting up how the Georgian election would be run doesn't have to resign his seat prior to running in the election he has basically rigged for himself.

It's actually laughable. Also now the republicans have increased their number of governors, they are going to use the 10 year census as a way to just rig the system even more.
You're forgetting disenfranchising ex-convicts who've served their time.
Culling of the voting register for no apparent reason, and making it virtually impossible to get back on.
Holding the election during working hours on a working day (and no employee protection to speak of, so you CAN be fired for voting).
Polling stations inaccessible by public transport.
Doing next to nothing to protect voting machines that be been hacked by foriegn powers 2 years ago...

Hell, gerrymandering should be utterly illegal, and that's about the least of it.

Voter ID is one of the most insidious way of disenfranchisement I can think of because the basic argument for makes sense to most people. "People should prove who they are before they can vote to stop fraud." then when you look into it you discover voter fraud is insignificant and the reason behind wanting the rules is because people without ID tend to be those who vote for the opposite side.

Gotta Love the Headline However

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-46125121

Haha Sessions just quit as AG. How many is of his administration has Trump lost in 2 years?

Haha Sessions just quit as AG. How many is of his administration has Trump lost in 2 years?
Fired, not quit. For the purposes of finishing/neutering the Mueller investigation.
cd960576-5a95-4f21-8be7-d41ede510557.png

ETA, won't take long either, Eisenstein has stepped aside, leaving Wittacker in direct control of Mueller - Wittacker who has already attacked the investigation, and is being appointed for the sole purpose of shutting it down

Last edited:
well that really sucks

but we took the house last night and cruz almost lost so yesterday wasn't a complete loss

we just need to keep this energy and maybe the democrats learned that you are more likely to get people to vote if you present good progressive ideas instead of depending on "not being a republican"

on actual sad terms:

North Carolina passed amendments stating to be: harsher on crime, more protections for hunters/fishers, stricter voter ID laws, and a state-income tax cap

my county voted against them... as well as the other counties that have money and jobs

Fired, not quit. For the purposes of finishing/neutering the Mueller investigation.
cd960576-5a95-4f21-8be7-d41ede510557.png

ETA, won't take long either, Eisenstein has stepped aside, leaving Wittacker in direct control of Mueller - Wittacker who has already attacked the investigation, and is being appointed for the sole purpose of shutting it down

Ah right the news broke as he quit first. Now it's Trump asked him to resign/fired.

What? You mean that Trump lied when he announced it?
Colour me shocked that he could be anything less than 100% truthful!

What? You mean that Trump lied when he announced it?
Colour me shocked that he could be anything less than 100% truthful!

For once it wasn't Trump, but BBC news breaking that Sessions had quit, but it didn't update until later that in fact Trump had fired him.

Anyone seen Trumps latest media appearance? The guy has lost it completely, nothing but a string of lies and personal attacks. Didn't know Crimea was the place annexed, didn't know Erdogen was president of Turkey and then tried to pretend he did when told and instead blamed the accent of the person speaking.

HOW THE **** CAN YOU SUPPORT THIS GUY AMERICA!?

Anyone seen Trumps latest media appearance? The guy has lost it completely, nothing but a string of lies and personal attacks. Didn't know Crimea was the place annexed, didn't know Erdogen was president of Turkey and then tried to pretend he did when told and instead blamed the accent of the person speaking.

HOW THE **** CAN YOU SUPPORT THIS GUY AMERICA!?

Because unfortunately at it's core, America is still an extremely racist and sexist place, and Trump is trying to put the average American white man back on top. Obviously I do not mean all Americans, but clearly there is a large enough percentage that will support him just based on his rhetoric. He's a demagogue like Farage, who played on people's fear and keeps on talking about the good old days, which definitely weren't as good and are seen through rose-tinted glasses.

The worst thing is that people listen to him and like him, because he's actually willing to say, and get away with saying, the thoughts and feelings they wish they could express.

Because unfortunately at it's core, America is still an extremely racist and sexist place, and Trump is trying to put the average American white man back on top. Obviously I do not mean all Americans, but clearly there is a large enough percentage that will support him just based on his rhetoric. He's a demagogue like Farage, who played on people's fear and keeps on talking about the good old days, which definitely weren't as good and are seen through rose-tinted glasses.

The worst thing is that people listen to him and like him, because he's actually willing to say, and get away with saying, the thoughts and feelings they wish they could express.

yep

and also extremely classist... i'm amazed at how many feminists only care about rich white women or members of the lbtg community who only care about middle class lbtg issues

I see Nevada just elected a dead guy...

Red, dead, and redeemed
America's most famous pimp, Dennis Hoff. He was running on an extreme MAGA, pro-gun, anti-immigrant platform. He died at his brothel and his body was discovered by Ron Jeremy who was in town for a campaign event. RIP.

Its a problem of the original constitution I don't think anyone thought states would have vastly different populations. Same issue occurs over the electoral college.

Problem is when they are winning both parties benefit so they are unwilling to solve the issue. We have the same issue here.....Like or not UKIP should have some representation in parliament and the two largest parties should never really have overall control.
No. The design was intended to give smaller states an equal say as the bigger states. The biggest state in 1790 was over 12 times more populous than the smallest. It was thought to be a better way to govern a country of massive geographic size and diversity.

In better news, Florida have decided to allow something like 40% of their black population to vote in 2020.
Well, I say that, but what they have decided is that ex-convicts to have served their time are allowed to vote again. Given America's basing of their legal system on something as complicated as baseball (3 strikes and goes out) meaning that being caught smoking a joint whilst black, or having your brake light conveniently smashed by a racist cop means jail time, that just so happened to disenfrachise all those nasty people with the wrong skin colour.
Nothing to do with voter suppression, honest.

It's okay though, I'm sure they'll find another way to deny them the right, probably require a form of ID that they just can't get hold of (AKA the usual form of suppressing the vote for poorer, darker and younger people in the states)

Maybe one day the mid-west will consider allowing native Americans to have a vote (postal addresses are necessary, and non-existent on reservations); or possibly even people who can't afford a day off work, or to run a car (but again, those pesky poor people have this habit of voting in favour of their own interests, which can never be allowed)
The Indians have addresses on the reservation. They just don't happen to know them. North Dakota authorities instructed them to contact the government if they want to know what their address is. A list is maintained for emergency services.
The right to vote is the right to rule. People who commit felonies should forfeit their right to rule over me.

yep

and also extremely classist... i'm amazed at how many feminists only care about rich white women or members of the lbtg community who only care about middle class lbtg issues
You're amazed that people care about their own issues the most?
That's just basic human nature. It's why diversity is a source of friction and hatred, not a strength in society.

Thoughts and prayers time and more talk of putting more armed guards in all venues to stop mass shootings. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.