• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

ABs v Italy

I reckon Junior All Blacks would beat Italy (and Scotland for that matter), let alone the second XV from the World Cup squad.

If I was Berbizier I would save from the Game: The bergamascos and Bortolami at least...

Our reserves should play this one. Save the big boys for the big matches. This for us is already a lost. best team or not.

Both teams have strong packs, but is that where the game will be won? Italy may get a bit bolshy out wide.

The Scotland match is Italy's passport to the 1/4 finals, but will they go at the ABs just hoping to keep the score down? And will the ABs send out a bunch of hopefuls, rather than their champion players?

This should turn out like the match against Canada during the summer - but what if the ABs get cocky?

Basic point: a full strength Italy can beat an understrength NZ. [/b]

this must be some kind of wind up because nobody sane would ever post such **** on here.

italy getting close to the abs is just dreamland NH thinking. I think if italy keep it to 50 points they will be doing well. abs have selected basically their top lineup so if I was in the italian team or a fan I would be ******** myself at the prospect of what will happen

If I was Italy's coach I would be fielding their best XV in order to reduce the scoreline as much as possible.

For & Against points could become a factor for them in this pool.

They will probably need to field a fairly strong team against Romania just in case but could afford to rest a few key players.

Then of course they'll need their best XV again to beat Scotland.

The only game they can take it easy in is against Portugal.

if Italy kick well, compete at set pieces and keep the breakdown slow (all so easy versus NZ) then they could kep the score down to 20-30 points difference. If the game opens up, then NZ could score at will. NZ will win. How much will depend on which side dictates the pace. If NZ keep the ball in play and run at Italy for 60 minutes then the Italians will be out on their feet for the last 15-20 mins and could ship tries late in the game. I expect 2-3 tries in the last 10-15 minutes unless NZ are already 40+ ahead and starting to canter.

Yep - i reckon the majority of points will be in the second half of the second half....30+ Abs

Here`s a prediction that I can make with absolute confidence: the day the All Whites beat the Azurri at football, will be the day that Italy`s got a chance of beating the All Blacks at rugby. It might well happen one day. But definately not in any of our lifetimes.

But I do take exception to comments like this: "Man for man, from 1 to 15, the AB B-team are superior to Italy." Anybody making that kind of comment, has obviously not seen a messrs. Bergamasco, Bortolami and Castriovanni play over the last 18 months. Sure they have no chance of getting a win here, but I`d take Bortolami any day over any of the AB locks, barring Jack of course.

Anyway, with all of that said and done, I`m still tipping the AB`s to rack up 70 points, with quite a few tries coming in the last quarter.

i would like to see the abs work on there defence and basic skills on this and if i was the italy coach id man a semi full stregnth team only leaving out the most crucial players

No official source, but this is the Italy 15:

1 Salvatore Perugini
2 Fabio Ongaro
3 Martin Castrogiovanni
4 Gueglilmo Giacomo
5 Marco Bortolami ©
6 Alessandro Zanni
7 Mauro Bergamasco
8 Sergio Parisse
9 Alessandro Troncon
10 Roland de Marigny
11 Marko Stanojevic
12 Mirco Bergamasco
13 Andrea Masi
14 Kaine Robertson
15 David Bortolussi

I look forward to seeing how the ABs deal with Castrogiovanni, Bortolami, Bergamasco and Parisse in the pack - four of the best in the world.

Troncon v Kelleher could be a good contest.

Apart from that, Marigny is going to have to keep a very level head when kicking - so many others make the bonkers mistake of sending it down the throats of the AB back three. Judging by the Ireland match, Italy look to have tightened their midfield defence, but when the ABs are on the hoof from deep all defence goes out the window.

Someone forgot that in the game played at WC 16 years ago the score was 31-21, with italy winning the second half by few points.

yes the Abs are as strong as usual but there is a tendency in dismissing the progress made by some countries.

Still it is unfortunate for italy to have the second game in just 4 days time, i mean the world cup debut against the all blacks is a prestigious event, I believe they'll play with almost the best they have.

I think if de marigny or bortolussi kick well italy could limit the damage. First 10 min i believe will be crucial, if italy gets some confidence and see they can defende decently, we'll have a good test.

I guess ABs will win by some 35.

Dellape is in the second row next to Bortolami as far as I know.

The forward game will be very interesting. It is true Italy have a great pack, one of the best in Europe, but the AB still probably have another level above even ours.... though we have great experience in the forwards. Only 1 of them still plays in Italy and he is more or less the Golden boy of rugby in Italy so the other 7 ply their trade in France or England which is good experience.

The backs is where we will lose. We are improving. Stanojevic and Bortolussi is a step up on what we have had previously and again it is a line where experience in another leagues is now in contention, but still the AB backs are just awesome and should kill us. I cant see Italy keeping the score within 40. Id be ecstatic if we do.

Its going to be a very fun game to watch. The All Blacks are going to want to just get a win and not take too many chances if they can help it. No heroics in the group stages I am afraid.

However, Italy haven't got anything to lose and will probably go hell for leather at the All Blacks. Its going to be a very bruising and punishing encounter.

All Blacks to ease through, but they'll be crawling back into bed after the match, and it ain't gonna be because they're drunk. Also, expect Bergamasco to play the fun and always fulfilling "punch the All Black in the face while the ref isn't looking" game.

Also, expect Bergamasco to play the fun and always fulfilling "punch the All Black in the face while the ref isn't looking" game. [/b]

He played a similar game against Wales called, "punch the Welsh in the face while the ref isn't looking" and there wasn't one single Welsh player who wanted to join in the fun...i highly doubt the All Blacks will adopt the same attitude as us...

The Italians like a scrap. Look no further than Troncon. That is our game, to fight the opposition, not play them :)

Well good luck to you. If you can bully the All Blacks into submission you deserve a 1/4 final spot.

no injuries please! lol keep it clean u italians! [/b]

Coming from a Kiwi? Rich.

Anyway, there's this news:

"Concern over Conrad at World Cup
7/09/2007 5:48:03

A slight injury concern in the All Blacks camp ahead of tomorrow night?s World Cup opener against Italy in Marseille.

With just seven minutes of test rugby under his belt this season, centre Conrad Smith is the last player the selectors would want to pull out of training. However, near the end of the team run Smith felt a tightening in the hamstring, and although management insists it is not serious and maintains he will be ok, Smith's history of injuries must mean there is some concern."

No biggie, but when are the ABs going to settle in midfield?

Also, expect Bergamasco to play the fun and always fulfilling "punch the All Black in the face while the ref isn't looking" game. [/b]

Good luck to the idiot that punches Jerry Collins in the face.