• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

ABs v Italy

My attitude on this before the game was, if Italy get overwhelmed then we're all fcuked.

I came in after half an hour and couldn't believe the score. Italy did finally get in to it, but then discovered the ABs were playing a different game altogether.

The ABs still have those weaknesses at lineout and centre, and they discovered a more powerful scrum than their own and gave up three tries. But it doesn't matter a **** - the power of their running, their speed of thought are just supreme. In twenty minutes they destroyed a strong, experienced opposition that has some excellent players. Aus can do that kind of thing to Japan, but this was something different. :bravo:

Bangs goes all the optimism after the 3N. We are all fcuked - except Ireland of course.

My bankruptcy examiner says I'm not allowed to bet anymore. [/b]

Little premature mate. NZ have always been ruthless in destroying inferior opposition. Italy like so many NH teams in the past shot themselves in the foot by playing AB's the myth not AB's the team. The NZ's are human like all the other teams. If you apply pressure and cut down there time and space they'll make mistakes. Italy are a lot better team then they showed today. They were completely passive and awestruck. The Aussies and SA's will at least not die wondering. Their so used to playing NZ that don't by into the myth. In saying that NZ looked really good. Very tight, lots a pace and fewer unforced errors then they've been making lately. Someones going to have to play at the peak of their powers to beat them. Their are still some teams cappable of doing it if they rip in.

Everyone talking about the "3rd" Italian try. What about their intercept try? To me it looked as if he was off side. But meh, 5 points in the bag for the All Blacks.

One thing I hope the All Blacks have learnt from this match?
Put Evans on the bench, so we never have to witness McAlister playing 1st five ever again for the All Blacks in this RWC.

<div class='quotemain'> My attitude on this before the game was, if Italy get overwhelmed then we're all fcuked.

I came in after half an hour and couldn't believe the score. Italy did finally get in to it, but then discovered the ABs were playing a different game altogether.

The ABs still have those weaknesses at lineout and centre, and they discovered a more powerful scrum than their own and gave up three tries. But it doesn't matter a **** - the power of their running, their speed of thought are just supreme. In twenty minutes they destroyed a strong, experienced opposition that has some excellent players. Aus can do that kind of thing to Japan, but this was something different. :bravo:

Bangs goes all the optimism after the 3N. We are all fcuked - except Ireland of course.

Little premature mate. NZ have always been ruthless in destroying inferior opposition. Italy like so many NH teams in the past shot themselves in the foot by playing AB's the myth not AB's the team. The NZ's are human like all the other teams. If you apply pressure and cut down there time and space they'll make mistakes. Italy are a lot better team then they showed today. They were completely passive and awestruck. The Aussies and SA's will at least not die wondering. Their so used to playing NZ that don't by into the myth. In saying that NZ looked really good. Very tight, lots a pace and fewer unforced errors then they've been making lately. Someones going to have to play at the peak of their powers to beat them. Their are still some teams cappable of doing it if they rip in.

[/b][/quote]

Yeah, fair enough - SA and Aus will make it a different game. And maybe Ireland will have the balls to maintain NH honour.

Inferior opposition is Japan or Namibia. But Italy are a good side that know their strengths, and the ABs just squashed them by rolling out of bed. Maybe Scotland will bring their full back to the game and let us see how the ABs cope with having to win a match in the second half.

Everyone talking about the "3rd" Italian try. What about their intercept try? To me it looked as if he was off side. But meh, 5 points in the bag for the All Blacks.
[/b]

I thought that too but then it wouldn't possible now would it. the abs always have to be in the wrong it seems on this board.

As much as I can't stand the AB's i'm stoked Italy got nailed. You guys should stick to a sport where you can use those great diving skills to score your points.

BTW, Aus V AB's Semi's... Again... u blacks ready! I bet your starting to buy into the myth you can't beat us in a world cup :p

Random thought which struck me:

Why does Leon McDonald seem to get so much stick? He was excellent yesterday, and I've thought the same most times I've seen him play. He was sharp, decisive, cut some great running lines and basically had a stormer.

He may not have the out and out flair of some of the AB's other backs, but he appears to be just what they need at times. The amount of criticism he gets baffles me.

first 20mins, AWESOME!! from the ABs then the rest was kinda scrappy, heaps of offloading etc.

italy's fullback needs to position himself better, that was exploited a lot.

luke Mcalister, why on earth would you chip kick in ur own 22!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree with that statement. One thing I see about the Italians and that is that they take nothing for granted and want to enjoy the occassion win or lose. It was great that even 60 points down, the Italian crowd were still going mad whenever an Italian player made a break. That is excellent support your team has! :)
[/b]

Thanks, but I think this is a moment our rugby is living, because of all the publicness the medias are giving to rugby after the two matches we won in the six nations. Before that, sport newspapers never dedicated more than a page about rugby and yesterday we got a 10-page world cup special BEFORE FOOTBALL PAGES!. I'm afraid this will calm at all after the world cup :(
In Italy we thrill about every sport when the team goes in a good way, but we soon forget it when things go bad. (the same thing happened when we won the basket silver medal in the Olympic Games) :( :(

<div class='quotemain'> My attitude on this before the game was, if Italy get overwhelmed then we're all fcuked.

[/b][/quote]

I completely agree with that. I don't know if Italy is really a good team because the first rugby match I've ever seen was yesterday game, but the reality is that the goal for this match was to loose better than the last time in world cup, and ***les in the newspapers were "Let's the best we can" and "Avoid the massacre!"...

Excellent game from the all backs, they were a bit shaky when the difference on the score was +40.Italy didnt had a chance on the first half and made a try im a mistake by keleher.Good game overall, i was seeing a +100 win, but it didnt happen.

<div class='quotemain'> Everyone talking about the "3rd" Italian try. What about their intercept try? To me it looked as if he was off side. But meh, 5 points in the bag for the All Blacks.
[/b]

I thought that too but then it wouldn't possible now would it. the abs always have to be in the wrong it seems on this board.
[/b][/quote]

A kiwi looking for the sympathy vote after the way some (not ALL, but some) of you act on here.
In the words of kids these days, "LOLZA"

Lots of lulz indeed. I mean, seriously, all you have to do is be a little bit more modest and a bit nicer to the smaller rugby nations and you'll get a bit more respect.

Question: why does the field always look so much wider when the AB`s are in possession? :huh:

Seriously scary stuff here. Look, the Italians are no pushovers. They`re definate QF contenders, and definately amongst the top 10 rugby-playing nations on earth. They possess an excellent scrum, lineout and rolling maul. So why the heck were they made to look so ordinary by this AB side?

I`ll tell you why- because these AB`s are every bit as good as they`ve been talked up to be. Quite possibly the most complete rugby side I`ve ever seen. Even their much-maligned lineout stood up superbly against one of the best in the business. And to see the skills of big guys like Jack, Collins and Williams was just plain scary.

Other teams should take heart from the fact that NZ failed to dominate the srcum. We were pushed around a bit for a while there, by a very handy Italian pack.

Argentina will rate a forward battle should we meet in the quarters.

New Zealand get a hell of a lot of respect from me after seeing that game.
That takes a lot for me to say when there are some cocky mofo's on here that just make you want to hate them oh so much.

i thought the ABs were outstanding and then once the scoreline was up i think they were instructed to play around a bit, coz honestly the ball thrown between the legs by our tryline would never be done in a tight match and the whole bench getting on is unlikely also.

There was alot of talk during Tri Nations that the ABs wont be showing waht they have been working on and i think we are seeing it now in the Cup Finally we are chipping in behind the borderline-offside rushing defensive line, which has never been a thng the ABs would do.

Its a pity that the ABs dont get a good hard game till the quarters as this does not give them the best preperation for tough challenges.

Only concerns i have are with the scrums - we got well beaten in a few.

Why does Leon McDonald seem to get so much stick? He was excellent yesterday, and I've thought the same most times I've seen him play. He was sharp, decisive, cut some great running lines and basically had a stormer.

He may not have the out and out flair of some of the AB's other backs, but he appears to be just what they need at times. The amount of criticism he gets baffles me.
[/b]

I agree. I think Mils is a better fullback, but Leon is all good. He can be a bit sketchy leaping for the high-ball and when he plays out of position, centre and particularly first-five he is worrying, although that's the selectors fault not his.

I was in marseille cheering for my italy. here few considerations:

Italy:

The bad: mental complex of inferiority, first 30 minutes they looked like scared chickens. Fullback bertolussi lost in the pitch, horrible kicking from de marigny (let's hope pez makes it back).
The good: impressive scrums, good lineout, good maul

NewZealand:
The good: impressive mental attitude, they are brutally after avery ball. They really look ferociuos hunters. Usual super technical/physical performace.
The so and so: lines out could use some more refinement.

Overall:
If italy kicks decently and goes on the picth mentally prepared I can see them beating scotland. The fundamentals are solid, bit of lack of creativity in the attacking options, but surely solid fundaments.

New Zealand: i can't simply see anyone at their level. Impressive, if they keep it up mentally, they are the team to be beaten.

<div class='quotemain'>

[/b]

I agree. I think Mils is a better fullback, but Leon is all good. He can be a bit sketchy leaping for the high-ball and when he plays out of position, centre and particularly first-five he is worrying, although that's the selectors fault not his. [/b][/quote]

seems to me that they have traded places. Mils used to be the better counter attacker and MacDonald was safer. These days it's the other way round. I prefer Mils at the back cos he's as solid as a rock, but I can't remember the last time he made an impressive counter attack.

I hope they start Mils, and bring Macdonald on with 20 to go. Same for 2nd five. with Mauger starting and MaCallister coming on in the second half.

[/b]

The guy's a legend. Only North Island chumps who can't see there way past razzle dazzle show ponies don't like him. And yes, as usual (when played in position) he was excellent against Italy.
Mils at centre for WC glory!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!