• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

ABs v Italy

Ask Brendon Cannon what happens when you try to cheapshot an All Black... (Mealamu 1 Cannon 0)

r25545_63191.jpg

[/b]

HAHAHAHAHA!!! I remember that confrontation quite clearly!! Cannon cracked a couple beauties onto mealamu while at the same time that dirty mexican carlos spencer came in from the side and thru in a couple uppercuts while pretending to split the pair up. Soft cocks!

On topic, it was quite disapointing watching the italians play the way they did. By no means did i imagine italy could ever win but i at least expected to play some half decent rugby like i have seen them play in recent times.

What the hell is going thru McCallisters head atm with some of those wack plays towards the end?!?!?!

In the end i got bored.

<div class='quotemain'> Italy robbed of a third try because of unspecified "foul play" by some unknown Italian player...and the Ref missed the blatant obstruction on Bergamasco, can't insult the Maori culture y'know. :rolleyes:

What a load of ********. [/b]

sivivatu was taken out without the ball how is that not foul play. it should of been a penalty to the italians though due to the obstruction from the original kick. no way the try could have been awarded though.
[/b][/quote]

That was my initial thought, but it looked as though Sivivatu was just coasting and stopped to see if his team mate would clean up instead. Wasn't really taken out. I woulda given a try

Two All Black players blocked Bergamasco, how is that not foul play.

The former All Black commentator on ITV was surprised and said it should have been a try.

The former All Black commentator on ITV was surprised and said it should have been a try.
[/b]

The ref should definitely have penalized the foul on Bergamasco, but the disallowed try was a separate incident. You can't tackle a man off the ball. The video ref spent ages reviewing it and, I think, made the correct decision.

The fact is the play should never have got that far after the obstruction, which the ref must have missed, there's no other explanation.

Good game, great interception from Stanojevic, and Italy had spells with a few classy drives. That 'try' at the end, i think so much went on, i'm sure i saw Bergamasco hit the deck and then after that is was a melee, play should have been stopped before then.

Italy will be disasppointed, but at least now they can have 3 easier games.

The ref failed to make the call on Bergamasco. However, as Vossy said that was a seperate incident; when the decision was handed to the video ref he was not allowed to ref anything on the field of play. So he reffed simply what happened in the try line area - and what he saw there was sivivatu being pulled back when it looked quite clear to me he would have touched the ball down.

Correct decision.

A seperate incident which basically prevented Bergamasco from scoring a try as he was blocked by two players. It was a poor decision from the referee not to pick up on that. I still disagree that it was the correct decision. If anything, he should have blew the whistle before all that melee and called them back for the obstruction.

A seperate incident which basically prevented Bergamasco from scoring a try as he was blocked by two players. It was a poor decision from the referee not to pick up on that. I still disagree that it was the correct decision. If anything, he should have blew the whistle before all that melee and called them back for the obstruction. [/b]

NAY_THEE.JPG

You're wrong, you're wrong, you're wrong!

All Blacks were brutal on turnover ball, as we have come to expect from them, but the scoreline was flattering.

To concede 3 tries (technically 2 but the video ref was wrong) to the Italian backs bodes well for other teams. There are far better units out wide who will test them.

Couldn't judge anything from the first 20 minutes as Italy simply weren't there and had to chase the game from then on. However, New Zealand still haven't hit top form, no matter what the scoreboard says.

And despite being superb in the loose, Jack and Williams still have some issues to solve come lineout time.

Hello everybody!

I'm an italian guy that has never seen any rugby match before today and I wanna ask you somethin I did not understand about the game played today: why the referee annuled the third italian try?

I'm sorry to look like a dummy, but I'm a rookie about this sport (that I must note is very very amazing) and I don't know its rules.

Can you help me?

Yes, the video ref disallowed the try for the simple reason that there was deemed to be foul play going on when the try was scored.
It wasn't specified what happened but it's quite clear the Sitiveni Sivivatu was held back and prevented from touching the ball down making it safe, thus enabling the Italian gentleman to get his mits on the ball.
The video referee isn't allowed to referee what goes on in the field of play and so simply refs only what is given to him.
The on-field referee made a glaring error and overlooked Bergamasco being obstructed in the field of play but the video ref cannot be faulted for the on-field referee's decision.
The video ref could not just give a try because it was unfair that Bergamasco's incident was overlooked, because as we all know: two wrongs don't make a right.

All Blacks were brutal on turnover ball, as we have come to expect from them, but the scoreline was flattering.

To concede 3 tries (technically 2 but the video ref was wrong) to the Italian backs bodes well for other teams. There are far better units out wide who will test them.

Couldn't judge anything from the first 20 minutes as Italy simply weren't there and had to chase the game from then on. However, New Zealand still haven't hit top form, no matter what the scoreboard says.

And despite being superb in the loose, Jack and Williams still have some issues to solve come lineout time. [/b]

Well those 3 try opportunities look far worse than they actually are. The intercept try was the only concern from me. Obviously, over the past few years intercept tries have become all too familiar for NZ fans, and they must be cut out before someone chokes up in a big game and does a Carlos Spencer. The second try would not have been scored had NZ not been up by 40-50 points. In a close game Carter or McCalister boot that ball way out of their own end; instead McCalister looses his head a bit and goes for a chip kick. And the disallowed try would not have been scored either. Can you honestly tell me if NZ weren't up 60pts would McCalister throw a no look, through the legs pass on his goal line? Really this was just a shalaking. The first 30 mins was probably some of the best rugby I've seen in a while.

The first 30 mins was probably some of the best rugby I've seen in a while.
[/b]

Agreed it was an absolute joy - and Italy looked like those whipping boys from yester-year once again.

Do you think Italy played so bad? It seemed to me that Italy is so much less strong than All Blacks and played its best. Do you think Italy could play better?

My attitude on this before the game was, if Italy get overwhelmed then we're all fcuked.

I came in after half an hour and couldn't believe the score. Italy did finally get in to it, but then discovered the ABs were playing a different game altogether.

The ABs still have those weaknesses at lineout and centre, and they discovered a more powerful scrum than their own and gave up three tries. But it doesn't matter a **** - the power of their running, their speed of thought are just supreme. In twenty minutes they destroyed a strong, experienced opposition that has some excellent players. Aus can do that kind of thing to Japan, but this was something different. :bravo:

Bangs goes all the optimism after the 3N. We are all fcuked - except Ireland of course.

My bankruptcy examiner says I'm not allowed to bet anymore.

Awesome start to the ABs until the Italians finally showed up after 20 minutes. There were some good plays from the Italians as the game went along. About the 3rd try that was disallowed, I think the ref made the right decision.

I was a little disappointed at the way the ABs were playing as it came closer to the end of the game. Just because the scoreboard shows they were off to a flying start for round 1, didn't mean they had to bring in their fancy plays. McAllister in particular was just over the top for me; kick and chase around the 22 area which resulted in a try to the Itallians and almost gave another away by passing the ball between his legs. I hope they still stick to one game plan.

<div class='quotemain'>

[/b]

The ref should definitely have penalized the foul on Bergamasco, but the disallowed try was a separate incident. You can't tackle a man off the ball. The video ref spent ages reviewing it and, I think, made the correct decision.

The fact is the play should never have got that far after the obstruction, which the ref must have missed, there's no other explanation.
[/b][/quote]

Newspapers here say that matches with Romania and Portugal are easy but they also say that match against Scotland's not so easy, and's not so simple to repeat the six nation's great match. Do you agree?

I agree with that statement. One thing I see about the Italians and that is that they take nothing for granted and want to enjoy the occassion win or lose. It was great that even 60 points down, the Italian crowd were still going mad whenever an Italian player made a break. That is excellent support your team has! :)