• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Anglo Welsh Cup 17/18

Not sure its quite in the spirit of the comp.
In the knockout stages it is
LV= cup has a crazy big prize fund (used to be bigger than the challenge cup, not sure if it still is) so you'd be crazy not to try and win at this point.

In the knockout stages it is
LV= cup has a crazy big prize fund (used to be bigger than the challenge cup, not sure if it still is) so you'd be crazy not to try and win at this point.

Yeh even if Newcastle stay in the play-off spot they are still unlikely to win it, so might aswell try and win some silverware (that isn't the Champ) for the first time since 2004.
If they could get into the Challenge cup final, win the AWC even without getting into the play-offs that would be a great season for them to work on. Prem play off would be massive though

Yeah got no problem with Falcons naming that side. Cheifs have bigger fish to fry to be fair but its disappointing they aren't still in Europe.

Newcastle putting out their best side against Chiefs on sunday, whereas Chiefs only player who played last week is Joe Simmons.

Not sure its quite in the spirit of the comp, and hope they come a cropper.

I mean looking at the Exeter team their squad is hardly development really.
15 Santiago Cordero
14 Tom O'Flaherty
13 Ian Whitten
12 Ollie Devoto
11 James Short
10 Joe Simmonds
9 Stu Townsend
1 Moray Low
2 Jack Innard
3 Greg Holmes
4 Mitch Lees
5 Wilhelm Van Der Sluys
6 Dave Dennis (capt)
7 Julian Salvi
8 Matt Kvesic

16 Paul Davis
17 James Kenny
18 Jack Owlett
19 Toby Salmon
20 Kai Horstmann
21 Will Chudley
22 Sam Morley
23 Tom Hendrickson

2 academy players starting and 2 on the bench.

Didn't Exeter play their firsts pretty much through the AWC a couple of years ago?
Most years someone does that; most years, most semifinalists put out strong teams; because for anyone outside the top 2, finishing a year with silverware is better than not finishing the year with silverware

Of course, tonight, Bath are also putting out their best available 23.
Unfortunately, they're simultaneously putting out their worst available 23.

15 Santiago Cordero
14 Tom O'Flaherty
13 Ian Whitten
12 Ollie Devoto
11 James Short
10 Joe Simmonds
9 Stu Townsend
1 Moray Low
2 Jack Innard
3 Greg Holmes
4 Mitch Lees
5 Wilhelm Van Der Sluys
6 Dave Dennis (capt)
7 Julian Salvi
8 Matt Kvesic

16 Paul Davis
17 James Kenny
18 Jack Owlett
19 Toby Salmon
20 Kai Horstmann
21 Will Chudley
22 Sam Morley
23 Tom Hendrickson

7 full internationals and a couple more "A" Internationals

D E V E L O P M E N T

15 Santiago Cordero
14 Tom O'Flaherty
13 Ian Whitten
12 Ollie Devoto
11 James Short
10 Joe Simmonds
9 Stu Townsend
1 Moray Low
2 Jack Innard
3 Greg Holmes
4 Mitch Lees
5 Wilhelm Van Der Sluys
6 Dave Dennis (capt)
7 Julian Salvi
8 Matt Kvesic

16 Paul Davis
17 James Kenny
18 Jack Owlett
19 Toby Salmon
20 Kai Horstmann
21 Will Chudley
22 Sam Morley
23 Tom Hendrickson

2nd choice (at least) fullback
3rd and 5th choice wingers
3rd and 4th (maybe 4th and 5th once Campagnaro's back) choice centres
2nd choice 10
3rd choice 9
2nd choice 7 at 8
3rd choice 7 at 7
4th choice lock who's just returned from injury at 6
3rd and who knows, 6th(?) choice lock in the row
3rd choice THP at tighthead
5th choice hooker
5th choice THP at loosehead

Ok the players aren't young but it's far from a first team. Got no problem with Falcons putting out a 1st choice team but in the 1st year in while that they've looked like making the play-offs it's a pretty poor effort to not give their players a rest.

2nd choice (at least) fullback
3rd and 5th choice wingers
3rd and 4th (maybe 4th and 5th once Campagnaro's back) choice centres
2nd choice 10
3rd choice 9
2nd choice 7 at 8
3rd choice 7 at 7
4th choice lock who's just returned from injury at 6
3rd and who knows, 6th(?) choice lock in the row
3rd choice THP at tighthead
5th choice hooker
5th choice THP at loosehead

Ok the players aren't young but it's far from a first team. Got no problem with Falcons putting out a 1st choice team but in the 1st year in while that they've looked like making the play-offs it's a pretty poor effort to not give their players a rest.

Good post. I don't understand the implication that a side not being a development team or featuring players of pedigree is therefore the strongest side available.

Agreed re: Newcastle, particularly as they really get their pound of flesh out of guys like Callum Green and Rob Vickers.

Good post. I don't understand the implication that a side not being a development team or featuring players of pedigree is therefore the strongest side available.

Agreed re: Newcastle, particularly as they really get their pound of flesh out of guys like Callum Green and Rob Vickers.

Who said it was their strongest side?
I'm just saying it really isn't in the spirit of the comp side either. Considering it's viewed as a Development comp.

I think there should be resrictions on the amount of internations and 1st team players, to stop one team putting out a first and one putting out academy team, i dont know what these restrictions could be but i think it could be a good idea.

To force development and cup experience. Step up for a league players giving them experience stepping up a level and playong with and against first team players but not playing agaonst a team of full first team/internationals who just put you on your arse. And still give a spot to re intrigate injured first team players / bolster the squad with good players that need to re find form.

I think there should be resrictions on the amount of internations and 1st team players, to stop one team putting out a first and one putting out academy team, i dont know what these restrictions could be but i think it could be a good idea.

To force development and cup experience. Step up for a league players giving them experience stepping up a level and playong with and against first team players but not playing agaonst a team of full first team/internationals who just put you on your arse. And still give a spot to re intrigate injured first team players / bolster the squad with good players that need to re find form.
The issue with that is that you can't really define 1st team player. And if you try to, there are always gonna be loopholes to argue that someone isn't a first choice player. I also think "international" is too broad of a term. Jack Maunder is technically an international player, but he's also only 20 years old and 4th choice 9. Are you really gonna place restrictions on him? I dunno, I agree that something has to be done because putting out a 1st choice team is not in the spirit of the comp and it's also damaging to players that are gonna be playing even more games per year than they already do, and some people seem to think that putting out a 3rd/4th/5th choice team isn't in the spirit of the comp either. I'd be happy with simply implementing an Under-23 quota.

If we don't get Rohan back (though current word is that we are) then I'd take Sam at Sale in a heartbeat!
Doubt he'll want to leave after finally seeming to have settled into the 1st team. He's also just re-signed for 2 years. You can have Devoto or Whitten though :)

THR MST B SUM MISUNDRSTANDMNT

Hill_Paul.jpg

The issue with that is that you can't really define 1st team player. And if you try to, there are always gonna be loopholes to argue that someone isn't a first choice player. I also think "international" is too broad of a term. Jack Maunder is technically an international player, but he's also only 20 years old and 4th choice 9. Are you really gonna place restrictions on him? I dunno, I agree that something has to be done because putting out a 1st choice team is not in the spirit of the comp and it's also damaging to players that are gonna be playing even more games per year than they already do, and some people seem to think that putting out a 3rd/4th/5th choice team isn't in the spirit of the comp either. I'd be happy with simply implementing an Under-23 quota.

Unter 23, yeah id get behind that as long as its x amout of over 23s aswell to make sure its a mix of youth and experience.

If not under 23s

Agree you cant define internationals or first team but maybe internations/firstteam players classed as played X amount of games for club/ country in a set time frame. So say devoto would be fine to play as he was back from long term injury.

But under 23 comp is prob best idea, allowing 5 over 23s in the starting line up and 3 on bench would be my choice

Unter 23, yeah id get behind that as long as its x amout of over 23s aswell to make sure its a mix of youth and experience.

If not under 23s

Agree you cant define internationals or first team but maybe internations/firstteam players classed as played X amount of games for club/ country in a set time frame. So say devoto would be fine to play as he was back from long term injury.

But under 23 comp is prob best idea, allowing 5 over 23s in the starting line up and 3 on bench would be my choice
Yeah I'd definitely support that.

Who said it was their strongest side?

Nobody as far as I'm aware, hence my use of the word "implication".

I'm just saying it really isn't in the spirit of the comp side either. Considering it's viewed as a Development comp.

As it's viewed as a third rate (possibly second to teams outside the Champions Cup), it's only natural that it will be used as an opportunity to afford senior players a rest, which will in turn create opportunities for junior players. I've never been aware that it's formally designated as such though.