• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Ashes Cricket 2009

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (toup @ Aug 10 2009, 12:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I'm still trying to 'get' the AI. I seem to be pretty handy batting at any level, then have bowling issues as I move up higher levels, to the point where I am getting smacked around far too much at levels when my batting is being kept to more realistic scores.

That said, I think this says more about my bowling! Although contrary to seemingly common criticism, I have a good mixture of outs - I have clean bowled a fair few, one or two LBW and plenty of catches and run outs (possibly too many of the latter). The AI does seem to fall for bowling strategies, and when it is bowling, does adapt the field to where the runs are coming.

There are a few little AI issues (run outs being the number one), but hoping these can be patched - all around I still believe this is a very solid effort and I think it is going to reward the hours which I will undoubtedly be putting in - strikes me as having a lot of depth.[/b]

I've bowled Australia out for about 150 in 2 consecutive innings by playing two spinners (one left arm off spin, one right arm off spin). Start off with seamers and wait until the wear on the ball gets to about 25% and get your spinners on at either end (preferably the right arm to a right hander and the left arm to a left hander). Bowl in the yellow area with some simple off spin, and some occasional top spin, and line the offside with fielders all around the square, with a first slip, third slip, gully and wide mid off especially. Picked up a 5-for with Samit Patel in the first innings, and Swann picked up 8 in the whole match. In the fifth test i've played the first innings and Patel picked up 3 with Swann taking 4.

Thanks for the tips - before I read that I'd actually just had a lot of success with spinners... not sure if they are a bit overpowered in the game or if I am just better at bowling spin.

I seem to be doing better at limiting runs with the quicker bowlers, just don't seem to be taking many wickets, but I'm encouraged that it's a game where progress can be made with practice - suggests there is depth to be had.

One minor thing - I've not seen any stumps ripped clean out of the ground, even with the few I've bowled with pretty swift deliveries... it's a trivial thing but is it possible?

I tried playing on xbox live last night, and the lag was terrible. All 4 of my games timed out or ended due to connection failures!!!!

There is no problem with my broadband connection in general, anyone else had any trouble with connection on xbox live????

After the hiding AK47 handed me online I've been trying to brush up my game with friends and playing through the Ashes series etc. I'm actually finding it pretty hard with spinners, but my pace bowlers go well. Still I get the most realistic results playing this game in multi-player with mates.

No probs with PS3 lag either which is great!

Yeah when playing anyone in the UK you can get lag

Its normally a slight pause at the release of the ball, which is easy to adjust with.

But sometimes its a lot worse, and sometimes there is disconnects by either the server, or the other pserson quitting because they wont do the lag

The game has an issue in unranked and ranked matches are NO DIFFERENT if someone quits.

You would think that a ranked match would punish quitter but it doesn’t

Its gotto be the first game where there is no difference in ranked v unranked matches â€" its ruining……..i mean unranked is for part-timers and quitter, and ranked is for the purists

A lot of idiot sell out and quit when the game is over, and holding the trophy, and these louts should be dealt with the full extent of the online law, which will be introduced in approx 20years time, when internet gaming becomes a regulated environment, and we live a life similar to judge dredd or 5<sup>th</sup> element or demolition man

dudes this may be a silly question, but how do you get the "win a test match by ten wickets achievement."

I've done it with and without the follow on and none of my batsmen have got out.

glitched or is it me?

Sorry Craig saw your message too late (way too late) I dunno what time you sent it but I dont think I was around then.

Played it for the first time yesterday and its awesome. Started an Ashes with my flatmate, sure it doesnt last long but it was great fun.

He won the toss and bowled as he saw me bowl and had some understanding of what to do to start with, i ended up getting all out for 170 odd. I just didnt have a clue but then he came out to bat. i just bowled wide for a while until he got used to it (about 4 overs) he started tonking me around with peiterson. got him for around 150. Then he ended up getting me 5/8 (5 wickets down) and I had trouble. I dug in with Haddin and Clarke. Bought up the 50 partnership before i decided to accidently run after leaving a ball, stupid. I ended up making him chase around 170 and ended up skittling him for just over 100. such a fun game and will have hours of fun on this no doubt.

Will probabably move my ps3 downstairs on my projector just to give the rest of the flatties time with the TV :)

GOT MY FIRST PLATIMUM!!!! :champion:

Slogged it out for 2 days to get it, saving, loading, saving, loading, loading...aaaarrrgghhhh, over and over..so happy to have got it over with.

Lol! Beat you to it though! :p

Seriously though, congrats. I know what it's like. I also unlocked everything and have officially renamed every player in the game (who needed it). Had a hell of a lot of fun with it all despite the long hours, lol.

anyone care to give me thier user.dat on the ps3 so i dont have to do it? lol

i have done 3 players. havnt had much of a chance to play it.

sorry radman that i didnt get to play you, got signed out of the playstation network and it wouldnt let me back in :(

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (woosaah @ Aug 26 2009, 12:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
anyone care to give me thier user.dat on the ps3 so i dont have to do it? lol

i have done 3 players. havnt had much of a chance to play it.

sorry radman that i didnt get to play you, got signed out of the playstation network and it wouldnt let me back in :([/b]

Would give you the user data, but think it disables the trophies for the game if you use someone elses data. That's what I've heard anyhow. Might be different for just the names, but not sure.

I couldn't be bothered changing the names so I just ended up changing the NZ team only and added a mix of todays players with those from years gone by like Danny Morrison, Richard Hadlee etc.

well that sucks, ill just change a few a day then. bugger.

its the best cricket game i have ever played! i have only played a couple of times against the AI havnt been able to play any online matches but its great fun.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (woosaah @ Aug 26 2009, 03:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
well that sucks, ill just change a few a day then. bugger.

its the best cricket game i have ever played! i have only played a couple of times against the AI havnt been able to play any online matches but its great fun.[/b]

I'll send you the data though. It might be okaybecause I think it's just something like user settings and that might not affect trophies (which you don't seem to have many of yet anyhow having just started). So, I'll try and flick that through on a PM tonight. The only changes I've made are putting Mohammad Yousuf in for a no name player that shouldn't have been in (the planet cricket guys mostly did the same) and taking Ewan Thompson out of the NZ squad and replaced him with Shane Bond, who I then rebalanced into the kind of pace bowler he was back around '05. Both of them with nearest face. Everything else is todays squads! :)

So Radman and I are across the line with our Platinums, who's going to be the third?

Also thought I'd add that Woosaah and I discussed playing a PS3 tourney of this game in the next few weeks. We need everyone interested to get upto speed with multi-player over the next 2-3 weeks. Friendlies against other TRF'ers will help build your skill.

It's hard to know which nations we'd want to play as given that edited squads don't work online, (I hope they patch that!), but I'd really like to play as New Zealand or Pakistan if possible.

Anyhow, proposed format would be a 10 over comp.

Those interested so far?

C A Iversen (New Zealand)
Woosaah (Australia)
Amy Iversen (South Africa)
Radman (England)

Let me know I'll add your name.

Add me, but I need lots of practice as I'm still getting used to the timing while batting online. I'm steadily improving on hard difficulty, just need to keep at it. I prefer to play as England.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Radman @ Aug 27 2009, 11:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Add me, but I need lots of practice as I'm still getting used to the timing while batting online. I'm steadily improving on hard difficulty, just need to keep at it. I prefer to play as England.[/b]

Sounds good Radman. Yeah I'm playing on hard now too. The timing is a little different, but the challenge level seems really good. Although online matches appear to all be normal speed, so it's just that very slight occasional lag that we're really adjusting to online. By the way, 2-3 weeks from now ought to be enough practice, so we should all be capable by then. Spare a thought for Amy, I've got like 20-30 odd hours gameplay behind me, she's had about an hour (at most), lol. She's soon going to be getting more of a go and up to speed.

Only have one unlock to go. The Test Match on hard to unlock Johannesburg for all modes.

thanks for the game last night dude, was great. My first proper go online and it shows how much practice I need :)

You guys unlocking everything you can right away is going to make it hard for me as I have to contend with other people wanting to use the tv, and if i take the playstation downstairs it cant see the network to play online. Ill have to have a play with that to see if I can do that though so i dont hog the tv :) but i would rather play it on my HD tv than my projector.

anytime after the weekend of the 12th sept for me, hopign to go down to chch for the weekend.

and ill be aussie, since kiwis are taken :) and they have proper names lol

Latest posts