• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Australia vs England - 3 Tests - June 2016

'We are going to have three world-class options at 12 — (Manu) Tuilagi, Te'o and (Owen) Farrell. It's a great situation to be in... and then we'll pick the one who suits the game.'

Fairly clear - Te'o will tour.

Hrmmmmm
I know he's qualified by blood and everything, but it still feels wrong.
That said: big lols if he's better than Slammin' Sam

Hrmmmmm
I know he's qualified by blood and everything, but it still feels wrong.
That said: big lols if he's better than Slammin' Sam

His loyalty is hardly bone-deep and he's not a product of the system. Understandable.

I think Youngs is one he could be easily talking about, been really poor since the 6N and showed flashes of poorness during it. I think Simpson and Robson must both be looking like decent alternatives and I think if Jones plans to move England to high intensity rugby, we need SH's who are fast to the breakdown and can get the ball out, Youngs does not do that.

Watson is a possible out but I would be suprised if he was dropped based on club form considering all of Bath are playing poorly at the moment and he was certainly on form in the 6N. Jonahan Joseph has also been quiet and was unconvincing in the 6N.

A late charge from Wade?

I'd love to see him given a chance.

If he doesn't take it then so be it, but let's give him the chance and not die wondering.

Jones is also thought to be close to securing a full-time scrummage coach to replace Ian Peel, who worked part-time during the Six Nations, with Bath's forwards coach Neal Hatley thought to be favourite.

TG article saying that Jones thinks Ashton was being a **** in the Watson incident, and the above.

Hatley would be great... players seem to absolutely love him.

TG article saying that Jones thinks Ashton was being a **** in the Watson incident, and the above.

Got a linky to the article? also was your second comment sarcasm? It's just the Bath scrum has been **** this year.

West Country back three England dream team

11. May 14. Watson 15. Marshall 23. Roko

Reading between the lines everyone thinks Ashton is a knob head and perhaps Jones had some feedback on that duing the 6N from some of the players. I wouldnt miss Ashton if he was never selected again.

Pretty much any definition I've seen of "West Country" includes Wiltshire. The Swindon accent certainly sounds west country to me!

Aye, he's the one.
Roko is from Fiji, Marshall NZ and Watson from Kent.
I'm not familiar with the geography of NZ or Fiji, though, so Marshall and Roko could be West Country lads from down under :p

Aye, he's the one.
Roko is from Fiji, Marshall NZ and Watson from Kent.
I'm not familiar with the geography of NZ or Fiji, though, so Marshall and Roko could be West Country lads from down under :p

My bad, somehow I thought that Jack Nowell's name was part of the list.

Do Wade's fireworks at the weekend change anything?

Surely at some point he should be given a chance? And what better time than now in some big, but ultimately meaningless games against Aus? He's fit and playing well in a good side. He doesn't have the RWC in his legs or any of the baggage that came with it. In my book 2 of the 3 back 3 places aren't nailed on, so why not give him a try?

The rest of the team's starting to develop a fairly solid look, so maybe there's now space for an x-factor player? Might work, might not. But feels odd that we wouldn't even try to find out.

I'd give him a shot over Ashton.
I question whether he has a long term future as an international but, as you say, we need to get a proper look at him. This summer (/this Autumn) are the perfect opportunities to have a look at some alternatives.
I know there are question marks over a couple of back three players, but we do have a reasonably settled unit. We could trial Wade there, and if he doesn't work then drop Nowell/Watson straight back in, no drama.

Also, I've read that Daly wants to become a first choice kicker at Wasps, rather than long distance. They'll need one with Cipriani arriving next season, but it also just adds something else to his case for England.
Be interesting to see whether he sticks at 12 going forwards. Manu is flitting between 12/13 for Tigers. I'd like to have a look at Farrell/Tuilagi/Daly at some point, with Slade on the bench covering 10/12/13.

Last edited:
I'd give him a shot over Ashton.
I question whether he has a long term future as an international but, as you say, we need to get a proper look at him. This summer (/this Autumn) are the perfect opportunities to have a look at some alternatives.
I know there are question marks over a couple of back three players, but we do have a reasonably settled unit. We could trial Wade there, and if he doesn't work then drop Nowell/Watson straight back in, no drama.

Also, I've read that Daly wants to become a first choice kicker at Wasps, rather than long distance. They'll need one with Cipriani arriving next season, but it also just adds something else to his case for England.
Be interesting to see whether he sticks at 12 going forwards. Manu is flitting between 12/13 for Tigers. I'd like to have a look at Farrell/Tuilagi/Daly at some point, with Slade on the bench covering 10/12/13.

I like the idea of having a bunch of centres who can realistically play 12 or 13, it could give us a lot of flexibility in the midfield that other teams don't have. Assuming we have the players for it of course.

Also, I've read that Daly wants to become a first choice kicker at Wasps, rather than long distance.

That's interesting and would be a real point of difference for him. Assuming fitness and form that could sway the call over Joseph. Have the knee issues gone away?

Agree totally that Farrell / Manu / Daly should get a long hard look. Slade, I think, will become perennial bench fodder unless he concentrates on one position, for me that's 10.

I believe he's been told by Jones that he's seen longer-term as a full back, not a centre. He made a couple of excellent kicks at the weekend from out wide (Jackson didn't take them as they were the "wrong side" and was into the wind) so if he improves that, he'll cement his place in the squad.

He's certainly got the skill set for 15.

Let's not forget, he also played plenty of junior rugby at fly-half, too!

Latest posts