• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Australia vs England - 3 Tests - June 2016

Ask Wales Online.
I feel like they're the only ones who have been touting it, but they've been banging on about it a lot

That's because Wales Online's rugby coverage is run by f*cking idiots. I know I'm a broken record on it, but it really should not be taken seriously :rolleyes:

As soon as he completes his 3 years for Wales he would be eligible. He has potential to be a world class player and regardless of Wales riches in the back row, they surely wouldn't turn down a world class player, if he showed any inkling to play for Wales. I think there's also a desire to ensure he's not lost to Wales ala Tom Francis and Moriaty. Don't forget George North and Warburton could also have chosen to play for England.

Aye he could be world class, and if he'd come out saying he wanted to play for Wales, then great. However, always seemed like he was never going to as he is English, just happens to be based in Wales. Maybe he would've considered it had Jones / RFU shown zero interest in him, but they were quick to show they want him, which basically shut off any chance of Wales poaching him.

It's similar to Ben Morgan, even though he was given his big chance in Wales, it was still hard to see him choosing Wales over England when both we're after him. Rare you see guys go against where they grew up when two big Tier 1 nations are after them. Obviously not the case every single time, but can't think of many examples to the contrary!

Same goes for North and Warbs, both might have been eligible for England, but they weren't gonna turn Wales down to the cross the border! Warbs is a Cardiff boy (wen't to one of the big sports school in Cardiff too) and was touted as a future Wales captain a long time before he was first capped.

North speaks fluent Welsh. Hard to imagine someone who grows up in Wales speaking fluent Welsh turning down Wales to play for England!

Francis was a bit of a poach, mostly because we were severely lacking at tighthead, but was he a prospect for England at the time? Assuming Wales were the only ones after him when he decided to join us.

Moriarty is an odd one, as he comes from a family of Welsh internationals, grew up here until his dad went over to Gloucester where he joined the English age grade set up. Again, were the English senior set up after him to the same extent as Wales were? I have a feeling they weren't which is why he chose Wales instead.

I've no idea whether the England senior set up had expressed an interest, but given how quickly Gatland moved for him, possibly not.

I don't think there was ever any serious evidence Underhill was considering Wales. I saw plenty of worried posts and some talked up the possibility but people were taking some real big jumps to hit that conclusion.

Anyway, couple more interesting calls down the line in Johnny Williams and Mat Protheroe.

I don't think you'll see Protheroe play for a senior England side unless he looks like he's absolute gold dust, and even then...

I don't think you'll see Protheroe play for a senior England side unless he looks like he's absolute gold dust, and even then...

I was really underwhelmed by him when I saw him play . Unless he bulks out a bit he looks like he could really lack the physicality for top class rugby

Francis was lined up to play for the saxons during the autumn I believe, but got injury and missed it, Wales then swooped.

I don't think Francis would have been significantly ahead of a number of our tighthead choices to be honest, so he probably made a good choice.

Interesting how the front row will look for England. Hartley still hasn't played since his concussion and with Marler getting help for his recent problems.

I did watch the Facebook chat Eddie did wasn't too interesting but he did say he's looking at 2 to 3 uncapped players going on tour. I assume one will be Nathan Hughes, maybe Underhill (if the league agrees too) and Robson as back up 9.

Yeh i'm not fussed about Protheroe ATm, Williams would be a loss.

I don't know it might have been the Callard factor but he hasn't really impressed that much yet.

I think him playing for England is more to do with convenience than anything else, and he'll probably revert to Wales in the seniors unless he's nailed on to be a massive "star".

Fair enough. Don't think it's that cut and dried myself, but could very easily be wrong.

Haskell is up for England Player of the Year (alongside Binny, Robshaw, Watson and Kruis).
I don't understand the world some times.

Haskell is up for England Player of the Year (alongside Binny, Robshaw, Watson and Kruis).
It's simple. Haskell-ed the right people to get the nomination.

Robshaw ????

Where's our very own deity Itoje?

Haskell played well in the 6 nations. Not sure why some people can't get that into their close minded attitudes on what you need from an international player.

Not sure why Haskell would be a bad choice he's had a very good season. Actually was pleased having him in the England team .....eventually

Latest posts