• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Australia vs England - 3 Tests - June 2016

I disagree that Robson has only started looking good recently, he was looking very, very promising for Glos for at least his last season there.

Robson's the one we should be looking at.
Really don't agree with this. I thought that the two seasons previous to his last with Glos, when he competed with and beat out Cowan, he looked very impressive. Then Laidlaw arrived and Robson was clearly second best. Although his ability to score tries made him an asset, especially off the bench, his game management and in particular, decision-making, couldn't hold up to Laidlaw's. I don't know whether it was a lack of game time, the coaches not working him enough in training in the team setup, frustration or otherwise, but his last season was definitely his worst at Glos in my eyes.

That being said, his skill set is broad. He can run with the best of them, he has a good pass and he's demonstrated a great kicking game in the past (especially kicking in behind teams), and he has a very observant eye. Get his decision-making and management right and he'll walk into the England XV. Mind you, I feel the same about Twelvetrees, so I'm fairly grounded in that it may not happen.

Really don't agree with this. I thought that the two seasons previous to his last with Glos, when he competed with and beat out Cowan, he looked very impressive. Then Laidlaw arrived and Robson was clearly second best. Although his ability to score tries made him an asset, especially off the bench, his game management and in particular, decision-making, couldn't hold up to Laidlaw's. I don't know whether it was a lack of game time, the coaches not working him enough in training in the team setup, frustration or otherwise, but his last season was definitely his worst at Glos in my eyes.

That being said, his skill set is broad. He can run with the best of them, he has a good pass and he's demonstrated a great kicking game in the past (especially kicking in behind teams), and he has a very observant eye. Get his decision-making and management right and he'll walk into the England XV. Mind you, I feel the same about Twelvetrees, so I'm fairly grounded in that it may not happen.

I don't agree with this . Tbh for large parts of last season I though Laidlaw was holding Glos back and if he wasn't the kicker would/should have been dropped

I don't agree with this . Tbh for large parts of last season I though Laidlaw was holding Glos back and if he wasn't the kicker would/should have been dropped
Not many Glos supporters share that view...

Laidlaw doesn't run/snipe with the best of them, and he has his detractors for that, especially on the international stage. I can't argue that it's a glaring omission in his game that means he'll probably never be the best 9 in the world. But for a team like Gloucester, who playmakes around the 9 rather than 10, and mostly prefer to box kick than kick from 10, Laidlaw is just about the most ideal 9 to have. Robson's running game gives him a higher ceiling than Laidlaw, but he definitely wasn't up to Laidlaw's standards in what Glos needed at 9. Also, Laidlaw continues to be Gloucester's most important player. There's a notable difference when Laidlaw is on the field.

England should just do what the Stormers did with the Brumbies and pin them in their own half and work off of mistakes and the odd turn over ball. Folau can't play a territorial kicking game as good as he is elsewhere and if you don't have the ball Pocock can't steal it. Like the Stormers vs the Brumbies England should be able to put in a dominant set piece display vs Aussie as well.

Yeah but in that case they will need the sixteenth player, the great Jaco Peyper

So what Wallabies team are England likely to face if the likes of Kepu, Genia, AAC, Giteau and Mitchell don't return/no released for the June internationals?

1. Sio
2. Moore
3. Holmes (If Kepu is not returning or released by Bordeaux)
4. Mumm
5. Simmons
6. Fardy
7. Hooper
8. Pocock
9. Phipps
10. Foley
11. Horne
12. Toomua
13. Kurindrani
14. Tomane
15. Folau

16. TPN
17. Slipper
18. ?? Not a lot of depth at tight head for Wallabies. Laurie Weeks?
19. Skelton/Carter
20. McMahon
21. Stirzaker
22. Leali'ifano
23. Beale

What about three #7 playing at the same time??? It's a possibility according Cheika:

"When I watch him play (McMahon), I always find myself with a smile on my face. Not because he makes you laugh but because it is enjoyable to watch his style of play."

Asked if he may consider rotating three no.7s during Wallabies Tests this year, Cheika said: "I don't know about three sevens rotating. I'd think more about three sevens playing together. Why not? I understand the lineout and that but I probably wouldn't have thought about two sevens once upon a time but their form forced me to do that".

:eek::eek::eek:

- - - Updated - - -

So what Wallabies team are England likely to face if the likes of Kepu, Genia, AAC, Giteau and Mitchell don't return/no released for the June internationals?

1. Sio
2. Moore
3. Holmes (If Kepu is not returning or released by Bordeaux)
4. Mumm
5. Simmons
6. Fardy
7. Hooper
8. Pocock
9. Phipps
10. Foley
11. Horne
12. Toomua
13. Kurindrani
14. Tomane
15. Folau

16. TPN
17. Slipper
18. ?? Not a lot of depth at tight head for Wallabies. Laurie Weeks?
19. Skelton/Carter
20. McMahon
21. Stirzaker
22. Leali'ifano
23. Beale

Skelton won't make the Wallys, he can't even make the Tahs bench. Better of picking another flanker.

What about three #7 playing at the same time??? It's a possibility according Cheika:

“When I watch him play (McMahon), I always find myself with a smile on my face. Not because he makes you laugh but because it is enjoyable to watch his style of play.â€

Asked if he may consider rotating three no.7s during Wallabies Tests this year, Cheika said: “I don’t know about three sevens rotating. I’d think more about three sevens playing together. Why not? I understand the lineout and that but I probably wouldn’t have thought about two sevens once upon a time but their form forced me to do thatâ€.

:eek::eek::eek:

So in theory Australia could rock up and play three 7s and England could rock up with none. Hmmm wonder who would be winning the breakdown battle there.

Robson in his last season was in a position where he was only getting wheeled out in the last 5-10 minutes in won or lost games. Or starting in the bic biro in nothing games. Still thought he played well, but if he's getting no real consistent playing time, he's not going to have a chance to look good.

Robsons first very good performance for Wasps was the Leinster game, he had no pressure to snatch the shirt at the time, and could play his own game, since then the same has been true and he's been fantastic.

So fantastic in fact I got overly annoyed at him not having a highlights video from his time at Glaws (where he produced some fantastic stuff), so made one myself: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gi3wLO5br6s

Robson in his last season was in a position where he was only getting wheeled out in the last 5-10 minutes in won or lost games. Or starting in the bic biro in nothing games. Still thought he played well, but if he's getting no real consistent playing time, he's not going to have a chance to look good.

Robsons first very good performance for Wasps was the Leinster game, he had no pressure to snatch the shirt at the time, and could play his own game, since then the same has been true and he's been fantastic.

So fantastic in fact I got overly annoyed at him not having a highlights video from his time at Glaws (where he produced some fantastic stuff), so made one myself: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gi3wLO5br6s

Wow! Great highlights package.

I realise this was only a highlight and not a lowlights package but I do rate him very highly and feel, more than anything, having watched him closely this season he seems to be making good decisions and his game management is excellent.

Granted he is playing behind a pack that is really doing well at the moment but you still have to play what's in front of you and I still felt he really added a lot to a Gloucester team that, more often than not, was struggling to get front foot ball.

I would definitely take him Down Under. The fast tracks would suit him but I do think he has stood out this season and deserves a call up.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en-gb"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Sam Underhill is an absolute menace with or without the ball. <br><br>He's going to be a very good player.</p>&mdash; Paul Williams (@thepaulwilliams) <a href="https://twitter.com/thepaulwilliams/status/715984738910150656">1 April 2016</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en-gb"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Hope Eddie Jones does cap Sam Underhill in Australia. <br><br>He certainly looks ready.</p>&mdash; Paul Williams (@thepaulwilliams) <a href="https://twitter.com/thepaulwilliams/status/715994250438021120">1 April 2016</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Could Ben Te'o play this tour for England? He has been in contact with Eddie Jones, his mother is from England and he has signed with Worcester.

He could do, whether he should do is another matter.

I don't know whether anyone outside of EJ could guide you as to how likely it is though.

In theory, but i think that the PRL would kick up a stink as he's not really based in England yet

And what relevance would those lessons have?

- - - Updated - - -

In theory, but i think that the PRL would kick up a stink as he's not really based in England yet

On the way - don't think they'd care, nor have a foot to stand on, really.

It doesn't matter, as far as the domestic based player thing goes.