• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Australia vs England - 3 Tests - June 2016

I thought it was the opposite - Jones said he was in direct competition with JJ for the 13 shirt, but he would look at him at 11/12/15 to get him into the side

I can't see how any of the games down under can be regarded as meaningless esp. with our new fourth place in the World rankings.

Eddie wants us to move up to third place before the RWC rankings qualifying date is reached in June 2017 when the draw is made. The only way to do that is to beat Australia, do well in the AIs and then continue playing well into 2017.

We need to keep stepping up the quality, and it starts on May 29th against Wales.

To be fair dropping Ford and Joseph is doing that.
Farrell has been the form 10 in the prem, whereas Ford had an average at best 6N and has been poor back at Bath.
Joseph had an average at best 6N and has been completely anonymous for Bath.
Tuilagi and Daly are both pulling up trees for their clubs.
Roko is probably the only Bath player who can hold his head high this season, and Wade is on fire.

Still wouldn't have Wade near the England squad TBH but would have him ahead of Ashton.

And we all know ATM Burns -----> Ford.

To be fair dropping Ford and Joseph is doing that.
Farrell has been the form 10 in the prem, whereas Ford had an average at best 6N and has been poor back at Bath.
Joseph had an average at best 6N and has been completely anonymous for Bath.
Tuilagi and Daly are both pulling up trees for their clubs.
Roko is probably the only Bath player who can hold his head high this season, and Wade is on fire.

I'd add Watson to that, been pretty good but more for England than Bath, kind of like Ben Morgan was.

Watson and Roko only players I'd say were on form. Attwood, JJ and Ford all potentials but way off pace at the moment.

Still wouldn't have Wade near the England squad TBH but would have him ahead of Ashton.

And we all know ATM Burns -----> Ford.

Burns goes into ford?
What they do in their private lives is none of our business

Burns has been playing really well but I imagine he'll be banned for checking mallinder's contact lenses were in on the weekend.
At least from the pics/clips I've seen a ban would be consistent with previous citings

Last edited:
Burns goes into ford?
What they do in their private lives is none of our business

Burns has been playing really well but I imagine he'll be banned for checking mallinder's contact lenses were in on the weekend.
At least from the pics/clips I've seen a ban would be consistent with previous citings

Burns hasn't been cited.

Really?
Genuinely surprised at that.
It wasn't intentional but those exact situations cop bans every season

I don't think Wade scoring 6 tries against a bottom-half of the table team should change the argument about whether he's in. I don't get why it raises the question again either.

Also, I'd still back Ford over Farrell. Who cares if the latter tears things up in an armchair wide when he's an inferior fly-half in every non-defensive way?

I believe he's been told by Jones that he's seen longer-term as a full back, not a centre. He made a couple of excellent kicks at the weekend from out wide (Jackson didn't take them as they were the "wrong side" and was into the wind) so if he improves that, he'll cement his place in the squad.

He's certainly got the skill set for 15.

Let's not forget, he also played plenty of junior rugby at fly-half, too!

Any source for all of this?

Last edited:
My Wallabies starting XV for the first game:

1 Sio
2 Moore
3 Holmes
4 Simmons
5 Coleman
6 Fardy
7 Hooper
8 Pocock
9 Phipps
10 Foley
11 Tomane
12 Kerevi
13 Kuridrani
14 Haylett-Petty
15 Folau

16 TPN
17 Alaalatoa
18 Smith
19 Neville
20 McMahon
21 Stirzaker
22 Toomua
23 Beale

This will be a fun and interesting series to watch, being a New Zealander. It's gonna be a fairly neutral for me. I dislike both teams equally :).

I do however, have more interest in the England team, than the Aussies. I see the Australian players every week. I believe in Eddie Jones with what he's done so far, with the introduction of new players.

I look forward to seeing the starting team and their back-line, and what it's like compared to teams with top players at their positions.

Last edited:
Also, I'd still back Ford over Farrell. Who cares if the latter tears things up in an armchair wide when he's an inferior fly-half in every non-defensive way?

I have to agree with you on Ford. Quite a few commentators have said he had a bad 6N but I think I was watching another tournament as I thought he played pretty well on the whole. His game management was on the whole very good.

He hasn't been great for Bath this season but then I'd like to see any fly half consistently excel with a pack on the back foot most of the time.

That said Farrell has looked consistently good for a Saracens side that has definitely developed their attacking game. He seems to threaten the gain line a bit more too which is great to see.

Also I have to say Alex Goode had another outstanding performance - v Quins this time. I feel he has been consistently excellent for Sarries this season &, I know many on here disagree, I would love to see him given the starting XV shirt in June.

Brown, I would suggest, was one of the players Eddie Jones was referring to last week.

Any source for all of this?

Yes, a coach from another Premiership side.

The previous poster was correct in that he was told he'd be in direct competition (then) with JJ but was told he was being looked at potentially at FB, too.

It makes sense, too - he has the speed to turn defence into attack, he's decent under the high ball (although not regularly tested at centre), can kick the crap out of the ball, and covers well across the line.

However, with Piatau leaving and Cipriani joining, I can't see him going to FB for Wasps anytime soon - you'll more likely see Cipriani there!

- - - Updated - - -

I have to agree with you on Ford. Quite a few commentators have said he had a bad 6N but I think I was watching another tournament as I thought he played pretty well on the whole. His game management was on the whole very good.

He hasn't been great for Bath this season but then I'd like to see any fly half consistently excel with a pack on the back foot most of the time.

That said Farrell has looked consistently good for a Saracens side that has definitely developed their attacking game. He seems to threaten the gain line a bit more too which is great to see.

Also I have to say Alex Goode had another outstanding performance - v Quins this time. I feel he has been consistently excellent for Sarries this season &, I know many on here disagree, I would love to see him given the starting XV shirt in June.

Brown, I would suggest, was one of the players Eddie Jones was referring to last week.

Surprised Brown hadn't been mentioned previously. He's not had a good season for Quins, had a decent enough 6N, but is under serious pressure. Goode is that stand-out option right now, and with Watson able to cover more positions comfortably than Brown, he's got to be in danger of spending the Aussie tour watching from the stands.

Goode is a proven failure at international level, though.

I think proven failure is a bit strong. I don't have the exact stats but he's only started a handful of his 20 caps. Because of of the low numbers it can hardly be proven either way surely?

Yes he hasn't lit up the turf on those occasions but I think he deserves at least a look at again as he has been consistently excellent for Sarries this season.

For me it's the subtle things he does extremely well. His timing of pass, the way he brings in other players. He seems to be in the right place all the bloody time & seems to make the right decisions more consistently than any other player I can think of.

Looks like Wade is going on the Saxons tour.

So, no Rio and no Aus for the leagues in-form winger.

- - - Updated - - -

I think proven failure is a bit strong. I don't have the exact stats but he's only started a handful of his 20 caps. Because of of the low numbers it can hardly be proven either way surely?

Yes he hasn't lit up the turf on those occasions but I think he deserves at least a look at again as he has been consistently excellent for Sarries this season.

For me it's the subtle things he does extremely well. His timing of pass, the way he brings in other players. He seems to be in the right place all the bloody time & seems to make the right decisions more consistently than any other player I can think of.

Quite, and I think he's improved immeasurably this season. The style of rugby Sarries are playing is a far cry from where they were 2 years ago, and he's a big part of that. Even Barritt can't stop the ball going wide any more!

He's deserved his chance, he's been patient, and it's hard to begrudge him a place in the starting XV on form.

Started 13, came on in 7. I would say there's enough for a judgement there.

edit: I would say that it's been proven to me that Goode lacks the athleticism to be a dangerous ball runner at international level. That is a gigantic red mark for a full-back, no matter his other talents, and the only thing that will change this is illegal substances. Ergo, I couldn't care less what he does at domestic level, he lacks the quality to step up.

Last edited:
Started 13, came on in 7. I would say there's enough for a judgement there.

To be fair that's more than I thought. Enough for a judgement but I'm not sure how much of a run of games he's had?

It's frustratingly hard to find more info on the breakdown of his caps but I would say he has improved a large amount since 2012 as a player and has been played at 15 consistently since then for Sarries.

A persevered weakness is his lack of top pace. He has never been the fastest but I read (like Brown) he has worked on his sprinting & he does look fleeter of foot.