• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Australia vs England - 3 Tests - June 2016

Haskell played well in the 6 nations. Not sure why some people can't get that into their close minded attitudes on what you need from an international player.

You say that but if you go back through my posts you'll see I've always been open to Haskell being in the EPS, and I was actually saying he should be considered for the captaincy pre-6N.
I just genuinely can't see how it can be said he had a good 6N. Anonymous at the break down and VERY poor carrying. His tackling stats were decent but i bet if you looked at the stats the sports science bods at the RFU use his "dominant tackle" stats were poor too.

I was at school with Josh Lewsy and he could have chosen to play for Wales despite going to school in England; as his mum is Welsh. In fact his younger brother Ed who was in my year chose to play for Wales under 18s.

Aye and his mother can speak Welsh and all.

Anyway, for me this series is going to be a good one to watch. If Eddie sticks to his guns, plays a positive brand of rugby and goes forward with his selections then it is exciting times ahead.

Haskell played well in the 6 nations. Not sure why some people can't get that into their close minded attitudes on what you need from an international player.
What does Haskell bring that you need out of an international player?

More importantly, what does Haskell bring that you cannot get out of some of the other top-rated English flankers?

I'll scream if you say experience. :p

What does Haskell bring that you need out of an international player?

More importantly, what does Haskell bring that you cannot get out of some of the other top-rated English flankers?

I'll scream if you say experience. :p

Be 18 stone.

He did a decent job in a limited role. Most years I'd laugh at his inclusion but, all things considered, given England's year, it's not outrageous. It's only outrageous if there's someone who should be on the shortlist in his place, and the answer to that is "Not so much".

The only real bad call was bothering to list nominees after Billy Vunipola. Also, why are we doing this prior to the summer?

Kruis deserves to be there, too, but Binny is still head and shoulders above.

I think Clifford was noticeable better at every aspect of the game than both Robshaw and Haskell in his cameos.
Don't think he's a 7 but he's shows himself to be better than Robshaw and Haskell there for his club, and also was better than both this 6N. Robshaw is a better 6 than Haskell so if we're still refusing to look at Kvesic and Fraser then we should be going with Clifford.

Didn't someone post stats that showed Robshaw at 7 was better than Haskell at 7?

Wouldn't surprise me because I don't know what Haskell gives us at international level.

Be 18 stone.

He did a decent job in a limited role. Most years I'd laugh at his inclusion but, all things considered, given England's year, it's not outrageous. It's only outrageous if there's someone who should be on the shortlist in his place, and the answer to that is "Not so much".

The only real bad call was bothering to list nominees after Billy Vunipola. Also, why are we doing this prior to the summer?

Farrell ? Other than him you have a point . Haskell was ok but nothing spectacular ...

Itoje is up for young player of the year so I think that automatically rules him out of player of the year.

Don't think so!!

It would appear that no players from the other clubs voted for a Sarries players hence none in the running for player of the year!

And they say rugby players can be thick.......!!!

Farrell ? Other than him you have a point . Haskell was ok but nothing spectacular ...

I wouldn't make the case for Farrell myself, but wouldn't have quibbled if he had been on the list and he's probably the unluckiest not to be named.

Kruis deserves to be there, too, but Binny is still head and shoulders above.

I think Clifford was noticeable better at every aspect of the game than both Robshaw and Haskell in his cameos.
Don't think he's a 7 but he's shows himself to be better than Robshaw and Haskell there for his club, and also was better than both this 6N. Robshaw is a better 6 than Haskell so if we're still refusing to look at Kvesic and Fraser then we should be going with Clifford.

Cameos though. Playing against tired legs in a loose game is a long shout away from being able to do all the grunt work all game. Can't say I've heard of him doing good things at 7 for Quins either.

I'm all for breaking up Haskshaw but imo, Clifford's not making the positive case.

Robberhill?

Mebbe.

It has literally just occurred to me that, given Jones' preference for forcing the youth to push him rather than pushing the youth, it seems likely Underhill won't be in for a starring role this summer. So I'm not going to get too invested in that one.

Haskell did a shed load of tackling and a lot of heavy duty close in grappling that enabled others to do the more spectacular stuff - sort of a poor man's Richard Hill. He's fairly one dimensional, but he's very good at that dimension. To be the very best we need all court back row players and he's not one of those, but don't underestimate his contribution. Piano players and shifters. Hartley's from a similar mould.

But that award should go to Kruis. I think his game would stack up against anyone. Not yet convinced that Binny can bully SH defences.

I would personally have had:

B Vunipola
A Watson
G Kruis
M Itoje
D Hartley

I thought our real strength was the team collective.

The lineout was a real strength. Kruis & Itoje can take real credit for this but, and please correct me if I'm wrong, I don't think Hartley missed an arrow after the Italian game. He also scrummaged & skippered the side well. I know he is not the most popular captain for various reasons but under pressure I think he lead the side well.

Robshaw & Haskell were workman like but no more. None of the backline stood out bar Watson for me. He was consistently excellent & deserves his name on the shortlist.

Re: Farrell - I thought he had an average tournament. You have to give him leeway for being played out of position - something that I find extremely frustrating. His goal kicking was pretty solid at 80% for the tournament but he missed 12 tackles (more than any other England player).

Having said all of this Binny should be the winner.

Not yet convinced that Binny can bully SH defences.

Agreed. I hope I'm proved wrong, but I'm similarly sceptical. I feel a bit of deja vu, he's torn up trees in the 6N before only to fail to produce on a similar level at other times of the year.

RFU just confirmed Glen Ella will join up with England for the Australia tour as skills coach.

Latest posts