• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Australia vs England - 3 Tests - June 2016

I've don't see why Jones wants to move Tuilagi to 12. The reason he was so effective at 13 was because he was the only big, powerful OC around so he could dominate that channel, easily breaking through tackles. At 12 he's just another big IC where his pace is wasted. He won't be able to break tackles when up against other giants like Jamie Roberts or SBW. I think if he's starting for England it has to be at 13, at 12 his pace and power is wasted and his lack of kicking and distribution will be highlighted.

Let's get him consistently fit first as, at present, he is far too unreliable to be involved! Talk about where he plays is irrelevant when and how often is more pertinent!!

I've don't see why Jones wants to move Tuilagi to 12. The reason he was so effective at 13 was because he was the only big, powerful OC around so he could dominate that channel, easily breaking through tackles. At 12 he's just another big IC where his pace is wasted. He won't be able to break tackles when up against other giants like Jamie Roberts or SBW. I think if he's starting for England it has to be at 13, at 12 his pace and power is wasted and his lack of kicking and distribution will be highlighted.

But he'll make metres and he'll hold defenders. Both very important for creating space outside him

With Manu at 13 what do we do with jj and daly?
What do people think of daly as the successor at 15? Just a thought, England don't mind playing players out of position and people saying about nowell being there. With daly's blistering pace and experience at 15 why not

Daly doesn't want to play 15. He's probably happy to cover it from the bench if needed, but I doubt he's going back there.

Let's get him consistently fit first as, at present, he is far too unreliable to be involved! Talk about where he plays is irrelevant when and how often is more pertinent!!
^this

Honesyly I don't want to accidentally enter a holding pattern hoping he'll be fit again for international rugby again like we did with Wilkinson post 2003.

He needs to out perform JJ and Daly at 13. If he can't then in my mind he can't be anything more than an impact sub

From what I saw of Daly in the last 2 months of the season that wont be very difficult. He was anonymous most of the time, certainly well below what he was doing in the first half of the season. He is still to convince me that he has what it takes to succeed at international standard .

And if you'd been watching JJ instead this season what would you be thinking?

^this

Honesyly I don't want to accidentally enter a holding pattern hoping he'll be fit again for international rugby again like we did with Wilkinson post 2003.

Third this, however it's interesting to speculate

And if you'd been watching JJ instead this season what would you be thinking?

Probably similar, but already a proven international and playing in a struggling team

I don't see the point of debating Tuilagi in a thread about the Australia tests. He's not involved. By the time he is, our thoughts on what we want from our centres could be radically different.

Tuilagi hasn't been fully match fit for England for 3 years now.

Last edited:
From what I saw of Daly in the last 2 months of the season that wont be very difficult. He was anonymous most of the time, certainly well below what he was doing in the first half of the season. He is still to convince me that he has what it takes to succeed at international standard .

He defiantly has the potential, I don't really understand what it IS JJ has done so wonderful in recent times, additionally England currently have to many backs from a failing bath team, I think the only reason we are even talking in a positive light is the lack of quality currently in the NH not the excellence of England.

Give the guy a damned chance!

He defiantly has the potential, I don't really understand what it IS JJ has done so wonderful in recent times, additionally England currently have to many backs from a failing bath team, I think the only reason we are even talking in a positive light is the lack of quality currently in the NH not the excellence of England.

Give the guy a damned chance!

Spot on.

The calls to drop Joseph are slightly alarming. He might not have done anything "wonderful", but he's not done much wrong.

He's won England Player of the Year and Player's Player of the Year in the 2014/15 season, has scored 8 tries in 22 tests, made zero notable mistakes and isn't even in bad form atm. Consistency is key, and dropping Joseph for a player with a fraction of the experience and equal form is a poor decision in my book.

The calls to drop Joseph are slightly alarming. He might not have done anything "wonderful", but he's not done much wrong.

He's won England Player of the Year and Player's Player of the Year in the 2014/15 season, has scored 8 tries in 22 tests, made zero notable mistakes and isn't even in bad form atm. Consistency is key, and dropping Joseph for a player with a fraction of the experience and equal form is a poor decision in my book.

I don't think dropping JJ is the answer but Daly does need more game time off the bench and post this tour. So far he's only really been brought on 10m from the end of the game and hasn't had the chance to do anything. And later this year in the Autumn internationals, I think him, along with a few other contenders for starting spots who haven't really gotten any decent England game time, should get to start against Fiji.

Firstly they are not equal form based on individual performances throughout the season and club achievements Daly is miles ahead that's not even debatable is just a fact.

Secondly you can have two players competing for the same possession giving Daly some game time may well prove to bring out the best in both, why should an inform player not be given a chance, has been in bad form is not justification to stay in an international team not when u have players hungry to prove themselves.

I believe at least two of those 8 tries were handed to him on a plate in this years 6N against Italy interception and the dink through from DC, so maybe not quite as impressive stat as some might have us believe.

The work rate to be up there and the read to make the interception does not equal "handed to him on a plate".

I honestly find it utterly bizarre that people are focussing on JJ as something that is anywhere near the top of the list of things that need tweaking.

I honestly find it utterly bizarre that people are focussing on JJ as something that is anywhere near the top of the list of things that need tweaking.

What do you think are the things that need tweaking? Not saying that I disagree with you on JJ, I'm just curious about what you think needs changing.

Latest posts