• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Australia vs New Zealand, September 11 2010, Sydney.

Sydney, Sydney...does anyone know the ABs record in Sydney?

Not thinking of using "venue" as the basis for a little wager are we Sam.....
68.gif

Sam - Since 1991, the Wabblies have won 10/16 against the All Blacks in Sydney. (63%)

The AB's have played 5 of their last 6 losses at ANZ Stadium in Sydney.
Ahh I thought Sydney struck a cord. Yes thats right the Wallabies do well there. Thanks Haysie.
Not thinking of using "venue" as the basis for a little wager are we Sam.....
68.gif
You know cooky I put a lot of money ($40 bucks lol) on some of these games so I have to consider all things just to give me that edge. Things like weather, team, injuries, form and history can help a punter. The All Blacks is one of the hardest teams to bet against, its like betting against the Australian Kangaroos. Im still not sure as Im leaning towards the ABs, I havent checked the odds but Im sure I wont get much back if I bet on them and they win.

I'm more interested in how the Warriors go this Friday. ABs have been mighty impressive throughout this series. Well actually dating back to last years end of year tour game against France. Can't see their standards slipping by much but not sure bout Cruden, hopefully he's the man the Canes could do with an international quality first five. Boy still needs to eat though one of these days he's gonna get knocked the **** out takin it to the line. Luckily Aussie will be fatigued from travel and despite wanting desperately to beat the ABs, will run out of steam entirely by the 60th min and the ABs will steam roll them, scoring all their tries in the last 20mins.

Based on training there may be 5 changes to the AB's starting lineup from the team that played South Africa - Owen Franks in for his brother Ben, Vito in for Kaino, Weepu in for Cowan, Cruden in for Carter, and Dagg in for Rococoko. The team for the match will be officially named on Thursday.

Those all seem like the right moves in my opinion. Afoa should get a go though, has he even been on the field yet? what position do they even want him to play? Im hoping Slade will get the last 15 minutes at fullback, unless Cruden has a shocker and he comes in at 10.

Wallabies have to win at all costs...............i can already imagine the harrasment from my wifes family and work mates about losing 10 in a row for the next 20 years or so.

Pocock will own Mccaw.....one of the franks maybe both will get sin binned...... Cruden will be dazzled by Coopers twinkle toes and fall in love.
Certain ozzie win!

Last edited by a moderator:
lol sure hope you're prediction comes true ostrayian!! pocock has really come into his own this year, seriously impressive player.

If he was playing like he is now last year under the old laws he would rob so much ball.

Sam - Since 1991, the Wabblies have won 10/16 against the All Blacks in Sydney. (63%)

The AB's have played 5 of their last 6 losses at ANZ Stadium in Sydney.

- www.allblacks.com

Always seem to beat us at Sydney every time....except for those times where people tempt fate and start bragging about Australia's record there. Please brag on, lol.

team will be named on thursday because hansen has stayed on in Christchurch a while

Few stories going round today suggesting Corey Flynn may get a start at hooker, as Mealamu has a slight calf injury - this would be a big loss for the AB's as Mealamu has been on fire this year. It's possible Mealamu may still be on the bench - if not Afoa will likely cover hooker on the bench.

Last edited:
I'd much ratehr see Afoa start if Mealamu is injured! I know Flynn had a good game in ITM cup a couple of weeks ago but his throwing to the lineout hasn't been impressive at all - and that's got to be the only reason he's in the squad ahead of Aled! At least with Aled even if he does throw a couple of bad balls to the lineout at least you know he's going to work like a wolverine on speed around the breakdown for his 50min and the oposition are going to be wary of him, and you know he will add pushing power to the scrum maybe no other hooker in NZ can match. With Flynn I just feel if he's not throwing perfect lineout ball he isn't offering the AB's much more than 3-4 other guys could.

Have to wait and see, mealamu will be keen to stat and I doubt a twinge will stop him. Personally I think Mealamu would have to be a Shoe in for an IRB player of the year nomination they way he's been playing.

stories that Dagg will be starting as well... exciting stuff... prepare to be highly challenged Drew Mitchell.[ps, for those who may cuss at me for saying this, I'd just like to state that I like Mitchell as a player. I think he is one of the few Wallabies who is keeping Australian side in good stride.]

yeah I think Mitchell is a good player as well I thought Deans was mad when I heard he dropped him. he may be a tad unpredictable but he's got spunk, he can break a game open for aussie of things go his way. As a New Zealand supporter he is one of those players you dont want selected in Aussie teams.

Actually reminds me of the way I felt about Matt Rogers when he was playing for Australia. I was much happier when he was riding the bench or not selected at all, If I were Aussie coach back then Matt Rogers would have been one of the first names I put doen when selecting my starting 15. And I'm sure I wasn't the only kiwi supporter who used to hold his breath whenever he came off the bench in tight games.

Gotta agree with you on two counts there Larksea....

Rogers was wasted in Aussie Rugby. They were fools not to utilise him.

And...

Mealamu SHOULD be IRB player of the year this year. but the toffs up north will probably give it to some so-so talent like they did with Shane Williams.

Mealamu SHOULD be IRB player of the year this year. but the toffs up north will probably give it to some so-so talent like they did with Shane Williams.
This one goes out to my main man....FlukeArtist!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm picking the ABs again in this one, by around 10 points.
Sydney is always a hard venue to play at but i think the Aussie team have too many lapses throughout a game to pull this one off.
Am interested to see how Cruden goes at 10 (i guess we all are) and as we're expecting a few changes to the team it will be good to see the other reserves get a run.

I'd much ratehr see Afoa start if Mealamu is injured! I know Flynn had a good game in ITM cup a couple of weeks ago but his throwing to the lineout hasn't been impressive at all - and that's got to be the only reason he's in the squad ahead of Aled! At least with Aled even if he does throw a couple of bad balls to the lineout at least you know he's going to work like a wolverine on speed around the breakdown for his 50min and the oposition are going to be wary of him, and you know he will add pushing power to the scrum maybe no other hooker in NZ can match. With Flynn I just feel if he's not throwing perfect lineout ball he isn't offering the AB's much more than 3-4 other guys could.

Have to wait and see, mealamu will be keen to stat and I doubt a twinge will stop him. Personally I think Mealamu would have to be a Shoe in for an IRB player of the year nomination they way he's been playing.

Flynn is an interesting one - I was a big fan of his when he burst onto the scene for Southland (almost 10 years ago). He never really seemed to fulfill his promise though, probably as he keep breaking his arm ever second game he played. I was a bit surprised the AB's selectors picked him during last years end of year tour, but I thought he was outstanding in the match versus Italy and played very well against the Baba's. It seems our current crop of hookers seem to be improving with age - Mealamu, Rutledge, and Hore (before he was injured) are probably in the best form of their lives, and are all in their early thirties. Flynn is probably not outstanding in any aspect of his game, but doesn't have any obvious weaknesses like many of the other AB's contenders at hooker - de Malmanche can't throw the ball straight, Rutledge is a midget, while Elliot apparently has off-field issues. I haven't watched Canterbury much this year so haven't noticed his lineout throwing at all - though as you suggest, if he is consistently throwing badly they may be better off with someone like de Malmache.

Latest posts