• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Australian strongest XV?

Tri-Nations Squad announced this morning:

Adam Ashley-Cooper, Berrick Barnes, Kurtley Beale, Richard Brown,
Luke Burgess, Mark Chisholm, Quade Cooper, Ben Daley, Rocky Elsom (c),
Anthony Faingaa, Saia Faingaa, Will Genia, Matt Giteau, Scott Higginbotham,
Matt Hodgson, Rob Horne, Peter Hynes, Digby Ioane, Ben McCalman,
Salesi Ma'afu, Stephen Moore, Dean Mumm, James O'Connor, David Pocock,
Benn Robinson, Nathan Sharpe, Rob Simmons, James Slipper.

With two more players yet to be picked which, according to deans, will be chosen on their performance at club level.

In my opinion this squad has the potential to house our strongest team with the exceptions of our injured forwards.
Higginbotham will provide some much needed size and speed.

I don't see any solid reason why Mitchell is out.

Not brillian in june? as many others among his mates. But he is still a fantastic player; one that can always make de difference.

Don't understand why Turner didn't have not even one chance in june.

I don't see any solid reason why Mitchell is out.

Not brillian in june? as many others among his mates. But he is still a fantastic player; one that can always make de difference.

Don't understand why Turner didn't have not even one chance in june.

Mitchell is weak on defense, and did make a few errors during Australia's early tests this year - however he is very elusive on attack so I'm surprised he missed out. Looks like AAC could be playing a bit on the wing. I think Deans plans to add two more players to his squad at some stage, and it is rumored that Cameron Shepherd could be one of these called in as a wing.

But AA-C is one of the best fullbacks in the world. WHy would you want him at centre?

He is also one of the worst centres in the world. I can't recall him ever having a good game at centre. I have no idea why people still entertain the tought of him playing centre...

My side

1. Benn Robinson
2. Tatafu Polota- Nau
3. Ben Alexander
4. Mark Chisholm (Horwill is out for the season)
5. Nathan Sharpe
6. Rocky Elsom
7. David Pocock
8. Scott Higginbotham (deserves a shot, Brown hasn't shown much in the games he's started)
9. Will Genia
10. Quade Cooper
11. Adam Ashley Cooper
12. Berrick Barnes (I do rate Giteau but he is out of form and as such should be dropped as anyone in his situation should be)
13. Rob Horne (wasn't great in the tour matches but has heaps of talent, needs game time before world cup)
14. Digby Ioane (if fit, otherwise Mitchell)
15. James O'Connor
16. Stephen Moore
17. Ben Daley
18. Dean Mumm
19. Richard Brown
20. Luke Burgess
21. Matt Giteau
22. Kurtley Beale

I realise Mitchell isn't in the squad atm but in his first two games back in club rugby he has scored 5 tries. In the first game he fielded a kick in his own half and then broke 8 or 9 tackles on his way to the line. He scored 4 tries in the second game. He also put on several big hits, so it would seem defence is no longer a problem. Peter Hynes has been ruled out for the tournament and Deans said he would add other players according to club preformances so I think Mitchell has a very good chance of getting the winger spot.

Last edited:
Seems like a good selection. Curious about the XV that will play in two weeks.

No matter what the team is this is going to be tough to win, always is mind you. The Kiwi team that played the other night was incredible and I really am not sure we can put together a side to beat them. It feels like we're rebuilding atm and I think the current squad has a lot of potential to the future and would just stick with it.

Latest posts