• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Aviva Premiership Final 2015 Bath V Saracens

Also Farrell MOTM was a bit of a joke I felt someone like Burger had a brilliant game where Fazlet felt like he was non existent for many parts. We'll soon go the way of the Superbowl and give it to the quarterback everytime no matter if another player plays out his skin all match.

18 points including a solo (ish) try in a final.

Out playing his England rival and a huge defensive performance at 10 then 12?

Think it's unfair to say he didn't do much in the game.

Good - Bath didn't mount anywhere near enough of a challenge for his performance to be described as "huge".

I'm imagining that's more about the two high tackles which (apparently, I only half watched the game so missed both :p) at least one was worthy of a card, rather than defensive display on the whole.

Not sure how you can say that when he made 5 tackles against a misfiring Bath side.

Yup wouldn't say he particular say did anything in defense that made me take notice. And deserved at least one YC and scored a try when he shouldn't of been on the pitch.

Like I say though he didn't have a bad game just not best player on the pitch material. George is another player on Sarries who was notably playing a blinder.

Not sure how you can say that when he made 5 tackles against a misfiring Bath side.

it doesn't matter how many tackles he makes it's impact and influence, Chri swyles only made 5 tackles but he was defensively excellent.

Look, i don't really want to descend this into a Owen Farrell-athon, but the guy scored 18 points, a try, outplayed Ford, and (arguably in your opinion) was huge/excellent/good in defence i don't see how people can begrudge him MOTM when he clearly had a big impact on the game..

I was asking for quantification of your assertion that he was "huge" in defence, one that implies that Bath mounted a serious challenge in attack.

It's the equivalent of saying "Mo Farah destroyed that 5mile walk".

it doesn't matter how many tackles he makes it's impact and influence, Chri swyles only made 5 tackles but he was defensively excellent.

Look, i don't really want to descend this into a Owen Farrell-athon, but the guy scored 18 points, a try, outplayed Ford, and (arguably in your opinion) was huge/excellent/good in defence i don't see how people can begrudge him MOTM when he clearly had a big impact on the game..

2 out of 5 tackles being high and possible yellow cards, that's not really good defending...

Getting destroyed =/= committing an offence.

Was more unhappy with him penalising us for not holding our weight and then subsequently allowing Sarries to take advantage of that by leaning in and taking space before the ball went in.

Destroyed as in the Sarries scrum completely splintering and Bath going right through the middle of it.

Last edited:
The Watson incident isn't reason bath lost this game, Saracens experience and composure shone through, their defence was immense and they suffocated bath for 70% of the game. Burgess and Attwood was not good enough at blowing through the rucks in attack and creating quick ball which bath need.
When fearns came on, this improved massively, Farrell marshalled in attack brilliantly and was a exceptional in defence along with barritt, Kruise and burger.
Sadly George Ford was shown a lesson by Farrell on how to take a game by the scruff and lead a team to victory, I don't blame ford for baths lack of territory, Mike ford has a game plan that doesn't involve a good kicking game.
Bath basically didn't play in the right areas, constantly playing in the middle of the pitch and when ford was kicking, they were 50/50 cross field kicks to either strettle or Wyles, as we all know very good defensive wingers.
I would have liked to of seen Ford in the first half get the ball in and around sarries 22 and playing their rugby from there, I think then they may have stood a chance of winning this game.

Let's take nothing away from the 2 teams they have fantastic players and many whom will have great WC's, both teams made for a awesome game and will hopefully push on and do well in Europe and the league next season!

2 out of 5 tackles being high and possible yellow cards, that's not really good defending...

Do the premiership stats take into account assists? because i've just coded the first 5 minutes and he made 2 tackles, and 3 assists just in that period.

Defending is more than just making your tackles, it's leading the line up (remember the adage if you defend right you don't have to make tackles?), it's thing like when he pulls Burger to his feet on the try line so that they are 1st and 2nd guard.... i stand by what i said, he was excellent in defence.

The Watson incident isn't reason bath lost this game, Saracens experience and composure shone through, their defence was immense and they suffocated bath for 70% of the game. Burgess and Attwood was not good enough at blowing through the rucks in attack and creating quick ball which bath need.
When fearns came on, this improved massively, Farrell marshalled in attack brilliantly and was a exceptional in defence along with barritt, Kruise and burger.
Sadly George Ford was shown a lesson by Farrell on how to take a game by the scruff and lead a team to victory, I don't blame ford for baths lack of territory, Mike ford has a game plan that doesn't involve a good kicking game.
Bath basically didn't play in the right areas, constantly playing in the middle of the pitch and when ford was kicking, they were 50/50 cross field kicks to either strettle or Wyles, as we all know very good defensive wingers.
I would have liked to of seen Ford in the first half get the ball in and around sarries 22 and playing their rugby from there, I think then they may have stood a chance of winning this game.

Let's take nothing away from the 2 teams they have fantastic players and many whom will have great WC's, both teams made for a awesome game and will hopefully push on and do well in Europe and the league next season!
Whilst I disagree with your assessment of Farrell he did what was required of any decent fly-half at this level of the game I do agree us loosing Watson wasn't why we lost. However the game probably would of been a lot tighter had Farrel been in the bin when he scored his first try.

Sarries blew us away in the first half and coming back was always going to be too tough as Sarries just had to make sure their defence stood tough enough and play for territory. Bath were lucky they went off the boil enough to get back in the game in the end and still have some chance with 10 minutes to go. Next year we'll be back and stronger.

Whilst I disagree with your assessment of Farrell he did what was required of any decent fly-half at this level of the game I do agree us loosing Watson wasn't why we lost. However the game probably would of been a lot tighter had Farrel been in the bin when he scored his first try.

Sarries blew us away in the first half and coming back was always going to be too tough as Sarries just had to make sure their defence stood tough enough and play for territory. Bath were lucky they went off the boil enough to get back in the game in the end and still have some chance with 10 minutes to go. Next year we'll be back and stronger.

bath were lucky that sarries didn't put away more of their chances otherwise sarries could have been pushing 40 points.

bath were lucky that sarries didn't put away more of their chances otherwise sarries could have been pushing 40 points.
TBF most teams don't put away most their chances (Batg last week were exceptional not the norm) There were none they particularly butchered so I think their score was a fairly normal for that kind of performance.

TBF most teams don't put away most their chances (Batg last week were exceptional not the norm) There were none they particularly butchered so I think their score was a fairly normal for that kind of performance.

the point is more that Saracens created more opportunities than they finished (strettle cross field for example), so were a lot more efficient with their possession in creating scoring chances than Bath.

also continuing to code the game (OF tackels) and he's up to 3 primary tackles & 5 assists after 20 minutes, plus a couple fo missed tackles from leading the line.

Latest posts